Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you set a Tricaster to do a double box or squeezeback?

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRaidel View Post
    FYI: Ive been using the tricaster and ASC for DoubleBoxes and Squeezebacks. there is not a 100% perfect way using ASC to do a squeezeback. if you design properly you can get it CLOSE. but not perfect.
    Sounds like I should make a video tutorial
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Id love to see you make my ESPN 2Box Squeezeback work 100%. at some point I was going to put it up, but i know its impossible to make it perfect.
    Gear Used:
    TCXD 8000
    3Play 4800
    VizRT IP 2-Channel
    Panasonic HDX 900 Cameras
    NDI Connect Pro
    Graphic Outfitters ScoreHD
    Graphic Outfitters Scorebridge
    Livetext 3 w/ LT [Scoreboards 2]

I'm not saying if I can't do it, it can't be done but...
    Feel free to send me a image of the final two box with a short description of how the transition should work. Or use an animation program to simulate how it should work using AE or whatever you are comfortable with.
    Send it email please.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

sounds good. will be in touch
    Gear Used:
    TCXD 8000
    3Play 4800
    VizRT IP 2-Channel
    Panasonic HDX 900 Cameras
    NDI Connect Pro
    Graphic Outfitters ScoreHD
    Graphic Outfitters Scorebridge
    Livetext 3 w/ LT [Scoreboards 2]

I'd like to see that as well. I used one of the TriCaster center cross graphics loaded into the double box effect so I could get a precise center of each video box in a frame grab. Then I used the same source in a motion animation that ends with it lined up in the box effect. Once that was animated, I replaced the center cross graphic with the UV texture and rendered it out.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

What's missing is the a grab of the full screen source before going to the dual box. You need that to precisely match the cropping and position. Its more than just resizing its also cropping. Its possible you already did that Kane and just left it out of your steps it's just for others wanting to try it for themselves.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I did have to do some cropping along with re-sizing and moving to get it all to fit into the double box target.

Here is what my full screen source and the frame grab of the double box effect looked like out of the TriCaster. In the 'full screen reference' its hard to see the lines, but once you load it into something that support alpha channel they are there (this graphic is also included with the TriCaster).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double Box with reference.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	120583 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full Screen Reference.png 
Views:	190 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	120584
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

This problem looks more or less like the last thing I was required to do in advanced TriCaster training this week (thanks Jose!). Hard to see how you could NOT make it work precisely unless there are details that haven't been shared here (is the squeeze back supposed to have some novel motion to it? Do you require the video source being squeezed back to have a frame while it is in motion?). As long as you are building a virtual set for the double box and creating the animation for the transwarp (or whatever it's called -- bad with names) at the same time (I used After Effects) everything should line up perfectly.

In my case - I dropped that weird colored file (don't remember the name) into a 32bit After Effects comp and rescaled it so that it would fit the box on the right. I then duped that and created an animated mask that lasted precisely 1:00 (my choice) that eliminated the left and right sides of the colored file equally so that it was cropping the left and right sides of the "A" side of the transition and left about the center "half" of the source visible. I had a keyframe for the cropped version at :29 and an upcropped keyframe at :00. Finally I animated the scale and position of the image so that it filled the screen at :00 and resolved at :29 in its resting position.

From that point it was easy to simply drop my background in place and output files to create both the virtual set and warp effect. Because they come from the same place (same AE comp) they absolutely match perfectly. Use math instead of your eyes and this is a snap. The only real issue was ensuring that the video squeezing back completely covered up the resolved box position as it animated because it would have been visible on the "B" side of the warp which was the resulting virtual set I created. If you play it straight (just squeeze back with no repositioning in the middle of the move) it covers it fine -- if you make it move in any other novel way you'll have to ensure that the warp always covers up its final landing position completely.

Worked like a charm! If I needed a frame on the video (didn't do that) I suppose I could have made an overlay that included that.

Quote Originally Posted by Emkay69 View Post
    This problem looks more or less like the last thing I was required to do in advanced TriCaster training this week (thanks Jose!).
    For the record I shape my "final exam" to the students post/animation/motion graphics experience and knowledge. For guys like you Michael, I assign the task of creating a custom two box and a squeeze box therefore testing both VSE2 and ASC2 with a "advance" touch. Advance is a loose term when it comes to ASC2 and VSE2 but for my structured classes, this definitely is advance and at the same time very useful in raising the level of a production with this type of broadcast TV look and transition.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I used the presets just like you mentioned, how can I change the background out to something different though? We have different shows and it would be nice to have custom backgrounds for each of them that I could load in. How would I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by iceycat25 View Post
    I used the presets just like you mentioned, how can I change the background out to something different though? We have different shows and it would be nice to have custom backgrounds for each of them that I could load in. How would I do this?
    Are you using virtual sets?

Wish I could, our management does not want to pay for the unlock cost so I have to figure out a way to do it with the default capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by iceycat25 View Post
    Wish I could, our management does not want to pay for the unlock cost so I have to figure out a way to do it with the default capabilities.
    Well, there's a way to do something that looks awfully similar but you will not get the precision that you would from creating your own warp transition and a virtual set to match it. If you use After Effect (as I do) then your project really functions as a template in which you can create a variety of fills and looks that are different but can take advantage of the same basic move and positioning so you don't really have to reinvent the wheel if you are creating 2-box graphics for a variety of shows -- the hard work can be recycled.

I think in your case you'd have to just use the switcher (joystick or screen interface) to squeeze back your "A" side of the transition and let it sit there. I don't believe you could really get a match otherwise -- you'd see a jump or something.

I'm kind of moving past the squeezeback for now and just wanting to know how can I change the background graphic of the double box preset.

So is there a way to do this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast