Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forest lights at night

Regarding light scale/size, I'd say you're the artist and this is more art than say archviz or "real" so you have the freedom to do whatever you see fit to communicate whatever it is you want. Heck, you could have a single 30' diameter bulb hanging in the forest for all it matters.

Great looking image too. I'd been wanting to do some sort of test with bulb filaments since seeing the renderings in the Cosmopolitan in Vegas.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    That is just a wonderful image. I wouldn't change the size of the lights at all, they work so well with that scene. It's go a Narnia feel to it... but almost like a trap.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

The balance of the composition and the contrast between ice and light is really effective.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Continued adjustments from the past few days (positioning of elements, shader tweaks, light finessing), and a new compositing setup via After Effects instead of Photoshop (I got tired of rebuilding the highlight compression every time I re-rendered, and AE lets me use a fully dynamic pipeline; just replace the input files and it's all done). The look is a bit different, but I've added heavier noise to the shadows (thanks for the suggestion, Tobian!), depth-composited particles (instead of just a few snow layers in PS), and softer atmospheric contrast. Tiny bit of chromatic aberration as well. I'll probably need to add a bit more contrast back, as it's feeling a little washed out in comparison, along with probably reducing the amount of particulates (it was really just supposed to be a bit of snow in the air, not flurries!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest-4c1f.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	119812  
    John Einselen
    jeinselen.com - case studies
    iaian7.com - lightwave tutorials

so nice....I would like to see those lights hanged up here in our gloomy winternights in the forest as well...for real.

A suggestion though that I think could give more depth to the image, not sure but you could try it...
    I might think that two or three of the bulbs closest to the camera could actually be removed, since the eye seem to catch them in focus and they are also almost in the center of the image, so your first impression lands on that depth so to speak.

So I would probably simply remove those, but...to add further depth to it and perhaps switch focus deeper in the forest, I would add more light bulbs...even deeper and at even longer distance in the forest.

Another thing that might make the whole scene a little more interesting perhaps, I was thinking of some bulbs beeing not that white bright, perhaps more orange glow to them, not much but to hint it maybe..
    that could help contrast the whole scene in color scheme a little better, since it now might be quite desaturated, and some old lightbulbs tend to be torn out at the end and with lower glow intensity, so it helps
    add sense to that some light´s might die out etc...and it could add a fragile mood to the scene.

I think the snow particles might look fine, not sure..maybe just a little to big in streaks...but hard to tell, depends on how large the final image is rendered for us to see.

Cheers
    Michael

Great image!
    It is interesting to distinguish the trees away in the distance, which gives a thrilling mood to your piece of art. Nice you showed it here.

Your image did remind me about a yearly arrengement in a town not so far from where I live. During winter-time they use to lit up their public areas and
    parks by different light arrangements. They use to have a certain theme each year. This gives a special mood to that place during the dark months.
    They have a website http://www.lightsinalingsas.se/

However I don´t think they have been very successful in photographing it. Here a HDRI-solution would have been the right choice.

Yeah the HDR workflow in PS is pretty massively crappy, hence I also do this stuff in AE too, though the only downside is the memory wall you hit (Alas I don't have the 64 bit version), for large images. Looks really good, and I agree about altering the colour temperature of the filaments, to give a little more variety!

great looking

Thanks everyone! I originally attempted to set up texture based randomisation for both the bulb filaments and the lights themselves...but couldn't figure out any method of linking the two, or using world-space procedurals to control them simultaneously (although a nodal motion controller on a null set to world space could, conceivably, be used to set relative light brightness via expression...I gave up at the thought of repeating that 30 times). Is there a solution I'm missing? I'd need to synchronise both the self illumination of the bulb filament and the strength of the spherical light encompassing it.

Since the majority of the glow is actually generated in AE (and the individual spherical lights contribute so little to the overall scene), I could probably adjust light values in post without too much trouble. Doesn't really work for animation, but at this point I'm thinking...that won't happen.

I finally set up the photo studio in my living room again last night, and took a first draft shot for the centre. I rather like the image without the character, but it's for a specific purpose, and anyway I want to play with digital stand ins for reflections and shadows, so this is a perfect test (the attached image is just mocked up in Photoshop, no stand in yet or shadow casting till I decide on the final costuming and pose).

While I'd like to keep some of the foreground lights (in theory, adding more eye movement through the depth of the scene), I think adding hundreds of distant bulbs would be perfect...so long as it doesn't require tons of additional light in the background (I do want to keep the spotlight!).

Charlie, that's an awesome town! I love that it's turned into such an event, really beautiful.

Name:	Forest-Render-4c-Comp-1f-Character-Temp.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	120033  
    John Einselen

Improvement in the studio lighting tonight (albeit not the pose or clothing just yet :P).

Name:	Forest-Render-4c-Comp-1f-Character-Temp-2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	120038  
    John Einselen

Quote Originally Posted by Iaian7 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I originally attempted to set up texture based randomisation for both the bulb filaments and the lights themselves...but couldn't figure out any method of linking the two, or using world-space procedurals to control them simultaneously (although a nodal motion controller on a null set to world space could, conceivably, be used to set relative light brightness via expression...I gave up at the thought of repeating that 30 times). Is there a solution I'm missing? I'd need to synchronise both the self illumination of the bulb filament and the strength of the spherical light encompassing it.
    not sure if it could work in your setup, since you already have the bulbs placed out, but in a lights intensity and lensflare(for visual feedback in openGl), you can
    click envelope and modifier proximity, and use a ctrl ref, so when you move the null ref the light will flare up depending on how close it is, and if you start with one light you can simply clone it and they will react
    differently depending on how you have placed the lights and their distance to the ctrl ref....but not sure it could work here.

Sample scene...

Michael
    Attached Files Attached Files

Man, that's just awesome Ianian!
    Such improvement from the first render, the atmosphere in this scene is just superb, loved the water texture, not much exaggerated, feels just right and the reflections are just gorgeous.
    My only "thing" is about the smaller light bulbs, the farthest ones, I'm not pretty sure why, but they kind of "flatten" the depth of the scene for me. Anyway, maybe it's just me.
    Great work!
    Congrats!

Thanks for the example Michael! Is there any advantage to using this over an expression? (i.e. is there a way to preserve the individual relationship between light+null when cloning the hierarchy?)

At this point I've just added some variation to the lights in After Effects (both glow intensity and colour temperature), and completed the 3D character proxy and first draft (hopefully close to final) composite. The proxy model with projected texturing allowed me to render with semi-correct reflections and shadows (and radiosity!), but composite the original photography in AE (since the proxy was invisible to the camera). The shot was just taken in my living room with some cheap CFL studio lights.

I've also added some very distant lights (admittedly not a proper bridging of the midground/background, they had to be super subtle or it was weird that the background wasn't brightly lit!) and tweaked the snow with a slightly smaller size. Thanks again everyone for the comments and suggestions and appreciation.

Name:	ProxyModel.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	120238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest-5a-2560x1440.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	120239  
    John Einselen

Quote Originally Posted by Iaian7 View Post
    Thanks for the example Michael! Is there any advantage to using this over an expression? (i.e. is there a way to preserve the individual relationship between light+null when cloning the hierarchy?)

Don´t know much about expressions really, so I can´t tell.
    as for preserving individual relationship..not sure what you mean here, if you clone all those lamps in the scene and move them in to other positions, they will not react the same since the distance towards the null proximity
    will change.

the update of the image youvé doné is looking good.

Wow man, this is outstanding! You should definitely send this to the Gallery.
    Cheers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast