Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Devices to enhance Kinect capability for mocap

I was able to utilize the windows bluetooth stack yesterday with the help of ipi recorder (which basically spams your connection until it pairs)... it still was really tedious to do and apparently restarting results in the user having to go through the process all over again. I can confirm from this however that the problem isn't the stack I'm using; it's the software/drivers/setup so that at least narrows things down.

To be clear, I'm not using any cameras; just the PS3 Move controllers by themselves. I only care about the rotational data from the gyroscopes/magnetometer.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Hi,

I'm not sure what 'spams your connection until it pairs' means but in iPi Recorder you normally only need to pair each device once and then it remembers all the devices for following sessions, unless you change your devices by pairing them with something else. I normally have three PS Moves paired for iPi Recorder and they all work simultaneously.

I'm not sure how they do that though. iPi Soft might be using custom drivers for Win 7, although for Win 8 users I believe they're recommending MotionInJoy at this time. If they are using their own drivers, they probably just haven't gotten around to updating them for Win 8 yet.

Naturally, I don't know anything about this for certain...it's just a guess.

Please keep us posted on your development. This is very interesting.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure what 'spams your connection until it pairs' means but in iPi Recorder you normally only need to pair each device once and then it remembers all the devices for following sessions, unless you change your devices by pairing them with something else.
    I guess it can depend on other devices that are plugged in or the bluetooth dongle used. Ipi recorder can make the windows bluetooth stack easier to connect to because it basically re-tries rapidly until it succeeds, but at least I know I can stick with the MotioninJoy bluetooth stack since it seems to work more reliably on my end, and I know it isn't the stack itself that is causing the issue; its the drivers and software. This is further evidenced by the fact that test apps i've downloaded easily let me use two controllers, but don't inject any values accessible in virtual studio.

Anyhow, it looks like ipi uses drivers external to HID, so that makes that route a no-go. At this point, it appears I'd need to learn how to work with the PSmove API in order to get multiple PS move controllers working in Lightwave without a PS3; something that is way beyond my experience level in terms of programming.

For the time being, I'll manage with a single move controller... I'll need to put the goal of multiple moves on the backburner for a while as I need to refocus on some other projects.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 02-24-2014 at 05:37 PM.

With the second PS3 move controller put on the backburner for now... I want to experiment with/research something called "air mice", many of which have gyroscopic sensors and are HID-compliant.

A quick ebay search shows they aren't horribly expensive, but of course there is the possibility that they produce unusable results... I wouldn't suppose anyone has, or has experience with devices like this in reference to motion capture usage? I did some searching around and I can't find a single motion capture example usage demo... hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    I want to experiment with/research something called "air mice", many of which have gyroscopic sensors and are HID-compliant.
    Right now, it is looking like none of these mice have magnetometers. In the PS3 move, the magnetometer it has acts like a compass and prevents "drift" by providing a constant reference of orientation. The biggest questions on the table in reference to gyroscopic air mice now are:

1) How significant of a problem is this "drift" issue without the benefit of a magnetometer? Does the average air mouse provide an easy way to reset orientation? How often will this have to be done? Greater error with faster movements? Is slowing down actions a way to reduce drift errors?

2) How easy will it be to pair it up with Virtual Studio? (this is more dependent on the device than Lightwave).

3) Quality of rotation tracking: Is it good enough for use with virtual studio? Or will it be too jittery and sloppy to work with?

the PS3 prize isn't what it used to be though, maybe just get a PS3, or a used PS3 on eBay...?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

You know, I had no intention of getting a PS3 unit but now you have me thinking about it. Will have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    the PS3 prize isn't what it used to be though, maybe just get a PS3, or a used PS3 on eBay...?
    It's still about $150 (used, on ebay)... that's asking a lot for simply getting wrist and head rotations in place. Obviously... it'd save a hell of a lot of headaches. Next month I'll try buying into one of these air mice and we'll see how usable it is then. Worst case scenario; I end up with a remote-controller that I can use with whatever computer... we do have an entertainment center hooked up to a PC downstairs.

I will say though that getting a single PS3 move controller working without a PS3 in virtual studio is not for the faint of heart... it isn't user friendly and even if you do get the controller working you need solid knowledge of node editing in order to know how to plug in the values properly. Some node editing knowledge is required for all solutions, but not having to go through the drivers/software hassles would go a long way to eliminate the time required to get it going in the first place.

Oh, I was thinking more for the virtual camera system, to get all six axis of movement. I already have several PS3 Move and PS Eye cameras to support this feature--just missing the console because I couldn't justify the cost. (I stopped having time to play games when we started Little Green Dog. Sometimes I miss it but not too much.)

For wrist, head rotations, etc., yes, a PS3 is probably overkill and there are probably better, more economical ways.

G.

guess you guys saw the leap hand mocap thread... ?

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....th-leap-motion
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123