Thread: Considering Making a Transformation Scene

Considering Making a Transformation Scene

First, again, I am a newbie in Lightwave. I know enough that there ways to morph an object into another in Layout or even using morphs. What I want to ask is how could I handle transformations so that it's animated and changed from one object to another. Example would be like human to werewolf.

I am considering making a transformation scene, right now of a character of mine (not modeled yet) who's an anthropomorphic animal turning into its feral state. Example say a dog person turning into a dog animal. It does wear clothing, so how can I handle that, in terms of it keeps its clothing during the animation? In the future, I want to tackle on transformations involving tearing of flesh.

Thank you for reading.

Morphing in "LightWave" uses "Morph Maps" ("Modeler"). Basically it means that your object remains the same from the beginning at the end, moving points and completely linearly. So it's possible but to keep it simple you can separate your character into several elements, and create a maximum of steps through the "Morph Maps". Don't forget that it's moving points, so you can mix it with other tools in the Layout and not only use the "Morph Mixer" ("Layout").

Okay, I see. So it would be possible to create morph maps of the object in steps. Would that mean I create morph maps that continue off the last one, or create a morph to a certain point where it would morph into another model and that model continues the transformation? Also, when the morphing is complete, how would I animate the character? Would I have to make another model of the completed transformation?

You can do the 2 but the best is to use a single object and many "Morph Maps". It's simpler and it avoids any problem with the "UV Map" and textures.

There are 2 videos of Larry Shultz on Liberty 3D.
    Displacements And Endomorphs Vol. 1 & 2 :
    http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/la...larrys-videos/

Under "LightWave", "Morph Maps" are called "Endomorph" (did a search in the doc and the plugins).

Begins by trying on simple effects such as a sphere that turns into cube (and vice versa) and a plan that turns into a sphere (and the opposite). The Morphing is powerful but only if used with other tools and tips.

As I would thank you for the video link, I am poor at the moment and rely heavily on free tutorials and advice from others. I am only a hobbist at the moment and am 17.

I knew of Endomorphs earlier as I used them for facial expressons. Displacements I didn't know of, so I can thank you for that.

If there is any more advice, I welcome it.

While it'll be good to learn about the techniques to accomplish this, what usually happens from a story telling point of view is planning out this sequence with camera cuts. Carefully placed cuts serve two purposes. From a story perspective it creates a more dynamic story. From a technical point of view it'll let you focus on only what you need instead of being overwhelmed with a complete body rig.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Look in doc ("F1", updated up to version 10), do research on Youtube. You can also watch on these 2 pages :

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...eTraining.html

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

For pages that don't exist anymore passes through the Wayback Machine :
    http://archive.org/web/web.php

After to start as I say should be the simplest : primitives transformation. You go to "Modeler", you create a primitive. At the bottom right of the interface you click on "M" (for Morph) : "(base)" is your object, open list and choose "(new)" to create a new "Morph Map". Use the tools you want to change the position of the points. Save the object and then at the top right you click on the arrow tip that goes down to select "Send Object to Layout". Once the object has been loaded you press the letter "P" for "Object Properties", you go to the "Deform" tab, you click on "Add Displacement" and you choose "Morph Mixer". There you can animate the transformation, and if needed, you modified in "Modeler".

Try to make a sphere that turns into cube (and vice versa) and a plan that turns into a sphere (and the opposite). It's a good start to understand the concept.

The transformation of one complex object to another isn't easy because of the linearity of the movement that is done on a same ID for points. If you understand how to play with using the different tools of "Modeler" but also in "layout" you can do what you want. It takes just time

Throw a glance at "SockMonkey" ("Layout"). It's a powerful displacement tool.