Thread: How is this done?

How is this done?

I was searching the web for tutorial on how to build a castle.

There are none.

So, I decided to get a few photos for reference and go out on my own and try.. I really want to build a castle, but I am having trouble trying to figure out how this was achieved:\

Here is the full image if your curious.. I absolutly love it. full image

Anyway, I cant seem to figure out how that pattern is created, without making individual polygons and tapering them, there has to be an easy way.

While looking for castle tutorials I stumbled across .this persons work, this is absolutly amazing... make sure you check out the Schildheim image.. stunning

I hope someone can point me in the right direction of how to make those "supports"....thanks

All you have to do is make one and then copy and paste them into location. Since they are on a circular turret, you could probably use the array tool to make your clones already in the circular pattern.

you could also just select the apropiate poligons on a subdivided tube and pull them

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Well,
    From the looks of it, that castle was build around the Dave Jerrard tutorial in his LW5.6 applied book.

If you really want to do this sort of castle, the book is worth it's weight in gold. It also covers building a courtyard fountain, a "sword in the stone" scene and many other things.

Written for LW5.6 it is still worth having.
    Quick answer: Bevel a disc up and out, select alternate polys on the 'lip'. bevel in slightly, then bevel in and back.

EDIT: Actually, to get such small struts, it would be every poly, then bevel in, then back. Sorry 'bout that!
    Last edited by colkai; 11-18-2003 at 04:53 AM.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Here's a quick layered object for you.