Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe Premiere is not SpeedEDIT...

Adobe Premiere is not SpeedEDIT...

Well, I broke down and bought The Adobe Cloud to get Adobe Premiere as a backup and possible replacement because SpeedEDIT wasn't getting any updates for future existence while Adobe Premiere has had many (expensive!) updates over the years but I have to tell you that even without expensive updates all the time and new announcements and whatnot SpeedEDIT is just way better than all of the competition in my book. It is my rule of thumb to have at least 2 pieces of software to edit with in case one goes down and it give you more possibilties. When I imagine the possibilities of my upcoming editing projects I dream in NewTek SpeedEDIT, it's my native tounge.

- Shawn from www.soundtraxxmusic.com

(Happy New Year NewTek!) - Shawn Lee Farrell

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Great observation. I got a free copy of Vegas Pro 12 with the purchase of my camcorder. Like you I was looking into an alternative editing solution since NewTek doesn't seem to have any interest in updating SE. Vegas is a powerful editor, but it doesn't have the ease, speed, power, and simplicity of SE. Why won't NewTek develop what I consider to be the best editor on the market? Are you listening NewTek?

Blog Entries
    Happy New Year one and all.

To follow on, I don't really like to use multiple tools that do the same job and have found that although SE isn't perfect, it really does continue to surprise me at how versatile it is.

Things I thought couldn't be done in SE I've come to realise were only as a result of me not thinking the problem through properly. There have been times when I have needed to do some compositing work and utilised another program for the job and then after a bit of thought realised (well after the work was done) that I could have achieved the same thing if I'd used SE on the clips coupled with particular types of Sub-Projects overlaid on them, thereby saving time on rendering a composited file to export to SE.

Discovering these little tricks and features have made me become more and more attached to SE, but I would say that the need for 64bit, gpu processing, better navigation control over the preview screen in the control screen and dedicated masking tools are perhaps the most important improvements I'd want to see as my SE upgrade feature wishlist. Additionally (and perhaps less importantly) I'd love to see 3D motion/camera tracking with data that could be exported/imported to/from LightWave, as well as native multi-cam support.

Other than that, I'm not quite sure what other editors offer that I really need.

Shabazzy

p.s. Oh yeah, HD transitions and DVEs would be a definate +1.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 01-05-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: After thought.

I certainly agree with your list of features - especially 64-bit. I would add one other one. Since NewTek owns Aura, why not connect the two programs as VT does or make Aura fully integrated inside SE. That would add a compositor, 2D animation and titling programs. And with a connection to Lightwave, WOW!!!!! Could there be a better program than SE? Are you listening NewTek?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dweinkauf View Post
    I would add one other one. Since NewTek owns Aura, why not connect the two programs as VT does or make Aura fully integrated inside SE?
    Probably because NewTek don't own Aura anymore (if they ever did). TVPaint Developpement (yes the double p is intentional) own the rights to Aura now, but yes it would be fantastic if that kind of integration was included in SE.

I use TVPaint (formerly Aura) for my animation work and can say it works as beautifully as you describe.

I can see we share the same mindset.

It is my understanding that NewTek does, in fact, still own Aura through a contractual arrangement that was different than the one with Bauhaus (NewTek, please correct me if I'm wrong on this). When the head of TV Paint visited my campus a few years ago, I pointed out that TV Paint's pricing structure left former Mirage users like me who converted to TV Paint a bit out in the cold. When he (Francois ?) returned to France, that problem was corrected. I use TV paint and Mirage for stand-alone and SE work and Aura for VT5 work.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Aura/TV Paint is still in active developement?

I always enjoyed using it, but the destructive nature of its editing turned me to The Other Dark Side (Adobe).
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

TV Paint is still very much in active development.

http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/article/home/

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Probably because NewTek don't own Aura anymore (if they ever did). TVPaint Developpement (yes the double p is intentional) own the rights to Aura now
    Sorry, but this is completely incorrect.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

OK, since NewTek owns Aura, do you see any reason why NewTek couldn't make one program with Aura with SE completely integrated? This would be an incredible software program if that happens.

'Once upon a time' (a few years back, now) I prepared a similar proposal in some detail; but today, my short answer would be that doing so would essentially mean listing all those things that SE desperately needs, preparing a similar list for Aura, and then multiplying the two lists by one another to come up with an estimate of development resources it would require. I leave it to the reader to consider the likelihood of that being viewed as a profitable exercise.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    IMO, this is a invalid idea anyway: those are two very dissimilar tasks.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    ... those are two very dissimilar tasks.
    It's really not completely crazy. Adding integrated paint and effects (including tracking, particle effects, .etc) to an NLE would not be useless; and viewed from the other end of the pipe, adding an NLE (including realtime non-destructive keyframing) to an animation system could be a god-send. But viewed either way, it's seriously non-trivial.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Many times I have to go outside SE (to Mirage or TV Paint) to do an animation sequence or effect and then bring that back into SE. I agree with Steve that integrating the Aura with SE would be a "god-send". This integration works well in VT and it would be an incredible step forward if it would be done in SE.

I would love to see SpeedEdit as a separate product again. I rather see my money going towards a company like NT...
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast