Thread: Instancer Question

Instancer Question

I am working on a highrise-building. I traditionally modelled the framework of the building — sidewalls, roof etc. and then I modelled 5 different balconies and windows. I then used the Instancer to randomly choose the balconies and windows to create a more random look of the building:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Block_Low_Angle.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	118837

As a base-object for the instanced I used a layer of the building object with just points where the object origin of the instances should go. Then I parented the whole shebang—building, instancer-dots and the rest of it to a Null.

Name:	Eins.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	311.0 KB 
ID:	118838

When I rotate the Null everything rotates as expected, save the instanced balconies. They behave strangely and rotate around their own axis or something.

Name:	zwei.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	118839

Can someone point me in the direction how to fix this strange behaviour?

Help appreciated

Florian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Block_Close.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	118836  
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    LW 11.5, OSX 10.8.2, MacPro Dual 6 core 2.66GHz Xeon, 48GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 4800

What mode are your instances set to ? Parent, World or Local ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Don't parent the whole thing to a null - just move/rotate the object rather than the null.

If you insist on parenting the building base to a null, when you rotate the building base, the instances attached to it keep their initial rotation values as they're *not* parented to the null. Parent them to the null too and it should work as you expect. Make sure in the Instance Generator you choose P for Parent for all of the instance objects' parenting setting (choice of World, Local or Parent).

- - - Updated - - -

Hehe - seems Lewis is on the same track
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

I have no idea what the instances are set to, but I have a feeling that will solve my problem. I was actually looking for a setting like that, but could not find it. Where is it?

Thanks for your help!
    LW 11.5, OSX 10.8.2, MacPro Dual 6 core 2.66GHz Xeon, 48GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro 4800

Quote Originally Posted by maschinsky View Post
    I have no idea what the instances are set to, but I have a feeling that will solve my problem. I was actually looking for a setting like that, but could not find it. Where is it?

Thanks for your help!
    Here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INST_panel.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	118842  
    RAM-Studio

I can't seem to wrap my head around this:

I tried the World/Local/Parent settings for the instancers and they PARTLY help. I rotated the building, by rotating the MOVER null everything is parented to and no matter what of the three options (World/Local/Parent) are selected—I hade W selected—the balconies twist weirdly.

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 11.32.08 .png 
Views:	33 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	118843

When I have rotated my building to the angle I need, I did switch all instencers to L—which resulted in an even more weird twist—and back to W and lo and behold, the instances are neatly aligned to the building as it should be.

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 11.32.33 .png 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	118844

This behaviour is ok for this scene as I don't wanna animate the building, but what if that was a spaceship. Can't I just rotate an object with instances attached to it with this instances staying where they are in relation to the object that generates them? Both in rotation and position?

Oh I just found out an even more funny thing: I don't need to change anything with the World/Local/Parent settings. I just need to rotate the building and switch all instencers OFF and ON again and everything is lined up...

* headscratch *

Might be just openGL glitch, did you tried to render when that odd thing happens ?
    RAM-Studio