Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    Mmmm..that's PC only..I did find KeyRemap4MacBook...but haven't installed it yet
    That's a shame it's PC only, as it's made a lot of difference my modeling (not having to take my hand off the mouse or move my left hand over to the other side of the keyboard).

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Hey Matt, can I ask if anything was augmented to allow this? I've been using it recently, but was sure trying a second Connect always used to go apeshit.
    What version of LightWave do you have, as the Connect tool was changed to allow this in 11 or 11.5, can't remember now!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What version of LightWave do you have, as the Connect tool was changed to allow this in 11 or 11.5, can't remember now!
    11.6.1... I think. There's no problem, I just wanted to confirm the tool was changed, as I used to try doing this and it never worked, then I did it by mistake not so long ago and was like "Hang on a minute!?... it works!", so I was just asking that it had been changed and I wasn't going bonkers.

Of course I'm interested in new tools, but I think changes like this one excite me more in some ways, brilliant
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    There's been some "stealth upgrades" it seems: the above, and it seems I now can't get Patches to FAIL, which is a very welcome contrast to how they used to, uhhhh, 'work'.

I can't even force them to fail, I mean.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    There's been some "stealth upgrades" it seems: the above, and it seems I now can't get Patches to FAIL, which is a very welcome contrast to how they used to, uhhhh, 'work'.

I can't even force them to fail, I mean.
    So, if you can't break it and you feel it 'works' does this mean you're.... you're happy with it???? Yes folks at Burbank that sound you could hear from over the Atlantic was the noise made from me falling off my chair

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yes, yes, yuck it up....

--I can actually imagine using patches as a modeling tool now: before it was SOOOooooo picky.

But, I recommend that anyone actually doing heaving spline modeling avail themselves ASAP of Sensei's/TruArt's spline tools-- those things are incredible. "The LWCad of splines!"

http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Dire...Ins/EasySpline

I'm too tired to read all six pages now, so sorry if this was in a post, but is there a way, and if there is how it's done, to snap the pivot point exactly to a place of your choice, for example the exact bottom, top, center (although it is usually at the center, but in the case you moved it manually to another location and want to return it to the center).

These are a couple of tips for other beginners like me in case they haven't figured it out by themselves:

- Especially if you also use Modo, Lightwave seems like every single material or volume you want, you need to do it manually. But Lightwave has presets! Still way below the abundance in Modo, but many useful presets anyway. For materials, when you're in the surface editor, press F8 and the presets window will open with a few presets. Same way with volumes, with Hypervoxels open, press F8 and the volume presets will open with some useful volumes, like clouds, fire, smoke, etc. This is something that would be an advantage over Modo since Modo has tons of presets but not for volumes. The problem is that still hypervoxels look more realistic in Modo, although Lightwave gets close with a lot of tweaking.

- One thing about these preset windows: when they are active, if you press S to save, it won't act as the Save Scene command, it will save the preset to the "Workspace" folder in that presets window. So beware of that because you're not saving your scene, but just click on the rest of the interface and you will save the scene (after the annoying confirmation, which I hope some day make optional)

- I've seen a tutorial or two where it says that to add Hypervoxels you have to go to the object's Deform tab, click on "Add Displacement" and select Hypervoxels from the list. There's no need for that, you just go to the FX tab, click on Hypervoxels, where it lists all the objects in the scene, and you double click on the object you want HVs for, and it's done. HVParticles will show up automatically in the deform tab.

- If you're sick of the font in the interface in Windows (and this is important in Lightwave since most of the GUI is text), go to the icon on the desktop or taskbar that you use to launch Modeler and Layout, open its properties, and at the end of the Target field, press space and then copy and paste this:

-f"Segoe UI [email protected]"

Obviously that's the font and the size. Hopefully in the future this will be a setting in preferences, but I'm grateful it's there. The only problem is that the font doesn't scale the interface. The width of the menu on the left will be the same regardless, and many other things have a fixed width made for that font, I think it's MS Sans Serif. So ideally I would put that font in 9 or 10, but then almost everything would be cut off with ... at the end. So let's hope in future versions they offer a way to customize this in preferences, and scaling the interface depending on the font.

As for Mac, I have no idea if it's available, but the regular font in the Mac version looks way better, in part because Mac OS X has excellent font smoothing compared to Windows.

In layout when move something hold alt pressed down and the object will snap to the closest object, actually to its pivot.
    Ideal for positioning nulls to bones for example.

Festina Lente
    Say you've got an object in Layout that's been deformed by a displacement map, then you pivot it 90 degrees on its Heading, and move it 2m on the Z axis. Then you save it as a Transformed Object. If, by using Items/Replace/With Object, you replace the original with the Trans Object, it will not load into the same position as the original, but will pivot an additional 90 degrees on its Heading, and move an additional 2m on the Z. To get it back into the position where you had the original, you have to reset all axes to 0.

--Inadvertently discovered this today.

One thing no-one seems to know is this:

If you move the pivot point of a mesh in Modeler, you can get Layout to use this pivot point by selecting the Modify>Translate>Move Pivot point tool, and clicking Modify>General>Reset. The pivot point will then reset to the current Modeler position.

I use the Reset function (which works on a lot of tools) so much I have it hotkeyed.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Yes. Found this out after a LOT of trial and MUCH error when bringing in an architectural model that had pivots moved to where the hinges were on all of the doors, so they could be easily animated. Brought the model into Layout and the doors flew all over the place.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Modelling Tip:

Want to create edge loops faster than anything on earth?

1) Select a few polys going in the direction you want

2) Press the right arrow key to select the loop

3) Press the 'L' key (Connect tool) - adds an edge loop

4) Keep pressing 'L' for more edge loops

Boom! Done!

Attachment 120183
    I would add:

Press F5, load the appropriate organic surface, then send to Layout and render.... Voilā the Fastest donuts on earth that will make omer happy

This has popped up on other threads, but a lot of users seem to be unaware that you can drag and drop images into Modeler/Layout and it will load them into your Image Editor window (F6).

EDIT: That's on a PC. Don't know if that works on a MAC too.
    Last edited by Waves of light; 02-20-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    I use the Reset function (which works on a lot of tools) so much I have it hotkeyed.
    ???? You mean "performs the same function as RESET in the Numeric Panel"??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by greg.reyna View Post
    Say you've got an object in Layout that's been deformed by a displacement map, then you pivot it 90 degrees on its Heading, and move it 2m on the Z axis. Then you save it as a Transformed Object. If, by using Items/Replace/With Object, you replace the original with the Trans Object, it will not load into the same position as the original, but will pivot an additional 90 degrees on its Heading, and move an additional 2m on the Z. To get it back into the position where you had the original, you have to reset all axes to 0.
    AND you have to remove the displacement. Just sayin'.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast