Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious

In Modeler, you can assign various viewport attributes using "Save View Preset" to the NUMPAD numeric keys. I'm using this mostly to be able to switch between what it calls "Rendering Style" (Color Wireframe, Texture, Textured Wire, etc.) using the numpad keys, but reserve a few for switching between Quad, 1+3 vert, and 2-side-by-side layouts. See "Save view Presets" in the 2015 manual for how to do the assignments.

But an undocumented tip is, for example, if you have the 1 key assigned to just switching the current viewport to Textured Wire, if your pointer device is hovering over a "neutral" part of the interface (where you can click to deselect all) rather than a specific viewport and you hit that key, all of the viewports will be set to Textured Wire. This can be very handy when you just want to quickly switch all viewports between a wireframe view then back to a solid shaded view.

Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    In Modeler, you can assign various viewport attributes using "Save View Preset" to the NUMPAD numeric keys. I'm using this mostly to be able to switch between what it calls "Rendering Style" (Color Wireframe, Texture, Textured Wire, etc.) using the numpad keys, but reserve a few for switching between Quad, 1+3 vert, and 2-side-by-side layouts. See "Save view Presets" in the 2015 manual for how to do the assignments.

But an undocumented tip is, for example, if you have the 1 key assigned to just switching the current viewport to Textured Wire, if your pointer device is hovering over a "neutral" part of the interface (where you can click to deselect all) rather than a specific viewport and you hit that key, all of the viewports will be set to Textured Wire. This can be very handy when you just want to quickly switch all viewports between a wireframe view then back to a solid shaded view.
    Testing it! Thanks!
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureña
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Cool Selection reminders: subtracting selections using the STATS window

SELECTION: sometimes it's easier to Select the INVERSE of a given property, than to select for a property itself , such as "# of points".

see this thread for an example: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ected-polygons

Remember you can UNSelect (Subtract From Selection) in the STATS window.

Remember you can select polys by SKETCH COLOR-- assigning a different Sketch Color to specific polys may make your life easier, and that's more flexible than...

PARTS: remember PARTS exist, but a polygon can only be a member of one (or zero) Part.

That "(or zero)" can be useful too: basically it's "Select everything that ISN'T Assigned to a Part".

Remember INVERT SELECTION exists.

Polygon Selection in the STATS window can be by COLOR, PART, SURF, # OF VERTICES.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

or in plain English/American (take you pick) a bug, and a very annoying bug at that, catches me out every so often

And the keyboard shortcut to assign windows is CTRL+ALT (at least on a Mac) and standard convention is to assign Five to TOP, Two to Front, Eight to Back, Four to Left and so on with Nine being Bottom, but its up to your personal taste really

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    or in plain English/American (take you pick) a bug, and a very annoying bug at that, catches me out every so often
    Given that it follows the LW "dogma" that "when nothing is selected, everything is selected" (in this case, w.r.t. viewports), what makes you so sure it's a bug?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

because no selection is required for the proper action either, ergo bug !!

I always use 1 for Wireframe, 2 for Texture, 3 for Texture wire and 4 for weight. I don't change anything else since you can use Display Options to change the Layout if you need to.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I always use 1 for Wireframe, 2 for Texture, 3 for Texture wire and 4 for weight. I don't change anything else since you can use Display Options to change the Layout if you need to.
    B
    I never use the keypad for the display properties, except for "5", which is "center the quad". I do use them for quad positioning, tantamount to "Landscape" and "Portrait" modes.

::checking:: Apparently whatever other presets I may have had got lost in some *.cfg catastrophe (why are *.cfgs so fragile???).

Tired of the Gradient Node showing the order all wrong if you don't Show Inputs in order? Do this:

https://youtu.be/jrhhqi5YT0Q

The Node editor has actually a undo system with more than one step.

Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    Tired of the Gradient Node showing the order all wrong if you don't Show Inputs in order? Do this:

https://youtu.be/jrhhqi5YT0Q
    I like that, that's a good one to know.
    Thanks Mark
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Just spotted this gem in the LW manual..

In Layout, to select an item, press ' and a popup appears in which you can type the name of the item you want (or the first letter or two..) Press enter, item selected.

For items with similar names (Null1, Null2, Null3, etc) It'd be great if some sort of filtering/predictive text was added...

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    Just spotted this gem in the LW manual..

In Layout, to select an item, press ' and a popup appears in which you can type the name of the item you want (or the first letter or two..) Press enter, item selected.

For items with similar names (Null1, Null2, Null3, etc) It'd be great if some sort of filtering/predictive text was added...
    That is awesome. Item selection by name.

Predictive text for item selection would be rad. And I hope a similar feature for Tool selection which uses more than just the tool's name because some of the tool names in Lightwave are not intuitive to their behavior so maybe there could be some search-keywords associated with Layout (and Modeler) Tool plugins to support predictive tool discovery.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö ¤ wk Py

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post
    And I hope a similar feature for Tool selection which uses more than just the tool's name because some of the tool names in Lightwave are not intuitive to their behavior so maybe there could be some search-keywords associated with Layout (and Modeler) Tool plugins to support predictive tool discovery.
    Let's extend that feature request: allow user to TAG tools with keywords that make more sense to the users than the programmers. This would especially be good because it builds in an extensible capability for 3rd party plugins.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    I guess it will be one of the greatest thread ever.. May be at the end there will be an edited version as PDF... First community user based - PDF - tips and tricks.
    is the PDF file ready? or i have to wait more? waiting for the link

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast