Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nevron and Mac and Motion Capture......

Nevron and Mac and Motion Capture......

Wondering if anyone has managed to get Motion Capture through Nevron on Mac?

If not....Is this something that LW3DG (or anyone) is working on getting to work?
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Heffalump
    Nope. It won't work. There's no public information about whether or not they are working on it.
    Inactive.

Hmm..that sucks...hopefully someone who's tech savvy will be able to come up with something
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Heffalump
    There are solutions out there (fastmocap) using OpenNI frameworks, but LW3DG used the official Kinect SDK from MS to implement the mocap support. At a casual glance, it looks like you get the same solver information from OpenNI, and I'd hope LW3DG are looking at that, but there's no public information one way or the other.

For now, NevronMotion on Mac is a basic retargeting system and that's about it. You'll need to source your motion capture elsewhere. On the flip-side, there's always BootCamp to plug the gap in the interim. If you have the full blown Windows Kinect, you can use it from within a Virtual Machine. MS crippled the drivers to block the Xbox360 Kinect from working at all inside a VM.
    Inactive.

Have you tried fastmocap ? As I read a lot of negative comments about Fastmocap screwed exported bvh files, I asked them to send me a test file, but they didn't answer. I asked someone who had fastmocap to test one of his files (which he was unable to use in any package) and it appeared that the bvh files were simply unusable. It got me very defiant towards this software.

Yeah, I have Win7 via bootcamp, but use it less and less..mostly if I need 3dMax for something...lol

That sucks that windows crippled the drivers....but typical m$ stuff...lol.

There is also, I think something called ipi for motion capture.....

I'm really not concerned if its kinect or some other solution (as long as its not a $10,000 solution)....just really want to have motion capture into LW directly.

LW3DG has been good so far about getting things working on both sides, so I'm still optimistic that they are working on something for mac.

As for Fastmocap, I havent heard too much about it, but what I have heard isn't very good.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Apple recently acquired PrimeSense, the company that developed the Kinect technology for Microsoft. Primesense currently develops and sells the Carmine 1.08 (wide mode scanning) and Carmine 1.09 (near mode scanning) devices on their own website. The Carmine devices are similar to Kinect but with higher resolution. They're also really tiny and cute.

My guess is there will eventually be a version of Carmine for Mac OS, which is more likely to become fully compatible with Nevron Motion for Macs than Microsoft's device. (I just hope this doesn't mean they will drop Windows support because I was thinking of gettting a Carmine 1.09 for 3D object scanning. Oh, the irony.)

G.

Didnt know Apple bought Primesense...lets hope they do something smart with it. Friend of mine uses carmine 1.09 with faceshift, it works great, even gets eyes pretty good. Biggest problem with Faceshift is the price for a commercial license.

He also told me he's used the xbox-kenect through boot camp in win-7, so I think the crippled driver thing is a rumor.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

"Kinect" belongs to "Microsoft", hard to believe that "Apple" has bought "Primesense" to make a clone. And then the voice recognition, people tracking and Motion Capture used in the "Kinect" are belonging to "Microsoft" technologies. Not to mention that "Primesense" technology consists of sensors operator chipsets, there where the Kinect uses a software layer instead of the chipse'ts.

For the SDK that requires the use of "Windows" I will make the analogy with the "Apple ProRes" which imposes the "Macintosh" ("Final Cut").

This is a problem for users but it ensures their bottom of trade.

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    He also told me he's used the xbox-kenect through boot camp in win-7, so I think the crippled driver thing is a rumor.
    No, it's not a rumor. The crippled drivers affect operation inside a Virtual Machine (e.g. Parallels) running on top of another OS (MacOS, Linux, Windows itself). Boot Camp isn't a Virtual Machine environment - it just runs Windows directly on the Mac hardware (it's basically just a BIOS compatibility layer over EFI to boot Windows and then a package of drivers that enable the hardware to be supported conveniently).
    Inactive.

Oh. misread your post....thought you meant boot camp..didnt see the vm.

I havent used parallels in years...too slow for any real work imo.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Oh. misread your post....thought you meant boot camp..didnt see the vm.

I havent used parallels in years...too slow for any real work imo.
    I've had good success with it for a number of tasks. I tend to scalp the VM upgrade during aggressive discounts that pop up from time to time.
    Inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Nope. It won't work. There's no public information about whether or not they are working on it.
    Well, they'd better be working on a way to get the Mac version to work with the Kinect motion sensor, because I specifically asked if they were working on a fix before I bought the software, and was told that they were. The software is completely useless to me if it isn't going to work exactly like the Windows version, and I have absolutely no interest in finding a work around such as bootcamp.

Who told you that ? I haven't read anything like this in the forums. I fogged a feature request for non-kinect prime sense sensors (like carmine or asus xtion) support and got no reply.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    Who told you that ? I haven't read anything like this in the forums. I fogged a feature request for non-kinect prime sense sensors (like carmine or asus xtion) support and got no reply.
    I emailed Newtek just before I purchased Nevronmotion at it's pre-release discount price, and asked them if the Mac version of Nevronmotion would eventually support the Kinect camera like the Windows version. I was told they were working on a solution for it, and that I could more or less help them beta test it when such a version is released. I really hope that I was given correct information. I still have the email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast