Thread: 2nd query. Why do my renders turn into interlaced files?

2nd query. Why do my renders turn into interlaced files?

Hi. Again... this time hoping someone will respond.... I am trying to convert the MOV files from my Canon T4i into SpeedHQ files but when I do the render
    they always get changed to fielded files. Why is this happening? I've tried customizing and selected Progressive. I've tried Project Settings renders.
    What am I doing wrong? I have VT5. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I think it's a problem with the SpeedHQ presets. I've experienced the same issue with my conversions.

Even when using a 1080p/50 clip, then setting up a 720p/50 project and then right clicking on the source clip and choosing "Render/Convert" from the context menu options, then choosing the "SpeedHQ Project Settings" preset, it still renders out to a 1080i clip and not a 720p clip.

I have no idea why this happens, but when it comes to editing, I find it's not really a problem to work with them because the part that really matters is the required codec for the final render which isn't normally going to be the SpeedHQ codec.

I've been editing with interlaced SpeedHQ clips for years and haven't had a problem creating final rendered progressive videos files for web usage or for outputting to progressive screens. I've just made sure my finals aren't using the SpeedHQ codec.

Hope this helps.

Shabazzy

Thanks for that, Shabazzy. So... after editing you render the entire timeline of SpeedHQ clips back to Progressive in "whatever" codec?... so from original files the project has been rendered twice? Correct? Thanks. Chris

Blog Entries
    Pretty much, yeah.

I sometimes get clips that SpeedEDIT struggles with, so I convert them to SpeedHQ to edit with. Since the SpeedHQ codec is only an intermediate codec, it's primary purpose is to be used for editing, not general playback, in much the same way that Apple's ProRes is primarily an editing codec.

Because SpeedHQ converted clips produce very high quality results, there's very little to worry about when it comes to generational loss when compared to the original.

Ofcourse, if your system can handle the original clips then by all means edit with the original files (or better yet, copies of them). If you don't have to convert them then don't.

But bear in mind, I'm talking as a standalone user. Not a VT or TriCaster user, so my workflow may differ from yours.

Hope this has been illuminating

Shabazzy