Thread: Change Default AVI ISO Capture Codec

Change Default AVI ISO Capture Codec

We'd like to use our TriCaster 855 for our multi-clip Final Cut post production workflow.

We can capture three cameras as AVIs and an mp3 audio feed all to separate drives for maximum reliability, dump them to our network, then create a multi-clip in FCP very easily, which is great. However, the quality isn't as high as we would like.

I can see that the code being used is the NewTek SHQ0 (4:2:0), which leaves a lot of stepping, particularly around high contrast angles. The data-rate has been between 7 MB/sec and 15 MB/sec, which I believe is variable based on anything I've read so far.

There are two solutions that would help meet our quality standards:

1) Change the default capture codec to the 4:2:2 option that appears to be available in the Codec pack.

2) Increase the variable data-rate range, or switch to a higher constant bit-rate.

Is there a config file we can change? Can we rename codec files to trick it into use the better codec? AVI was the only option that could be edited reliably in FCP so choosing one of the other codecs is not an option.

Any ideas?

(Really tried searching for this first Bowie... I promise!)

Quote Originally Posted by theStreamDotTV View Post
    1) Change the default capture codec to the 4:2:2 option that appears to be available in the Codec pack.
    Poof - a wave of my magic wand, and it's done (seriously, we did this quietly some time back ... not exactly sure how far, but it's certainly in Rev. 6 (which is available for download).
    1)(Really tried searching for this first Bowie... I promise!)
    I'm putting a gold star beside your user name on my fridge as soon as I get home!
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

OK, my mistake on the TriCaster version. It's an 850 Extreme and not an 855 (I'm not too clear on the difference, as the specs are very similar.)

I'm assuming we shouldn't install Rev 6 on an Extreme, so does the 4H update take care of the 4:2:2 codec issue as well?

Sorry about that.

I'm assuming we shouldn't install Rev 6 on an Extreme, so does the 4H update take care of the 4:2:2 codec issue as well?
    Correct, the installation would fail. I installed 4H on a machine this morning to check, and it does not support 4:2:2 AVIs. I guess you'll need to post this as a feature request.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Correct, the installation would fail. I installed 4H on a machine this morning to check, and it does not support 4:2:2 AVIs. I guess you'll need to post this as a feature request.
    Thanks for testing for us! I'll go make that request.