Thread: Thickness Thickener

Thickness Thickener

Hello. I remember using the Thickness feature in the new versions of LW, but I went to user it and it is not there. Any ideas? I am on a Mac Pro running version 11.6.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 4.49.03 PM.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	118060  

I can only think of two possible reasons: 1. it didn't get added for some reason on your latest install or 2. your menu configuration is using an older configuration. Add core_tools.p and go to edit/edit menu layout and on the top choose the preset "default"

Thanks, but my Default is greyed out. See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 5.18.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	118061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 5.18.16 PM.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	118062  

Hmm no idea, It's not the only tool you are missing, Chamfer is also missing, I would try erasing all configs and reinstalling. (back them up if you have done some tweaking)

Look under utilities tab/additional/thickener

Best to simply go to edit menu, search for thicken, and drag it to the multiply window tab and place it under extend, that is were it should be.
    if it isnīt showing up in the edit menu, you need to scan the folders for plugins.

Michael

Thanks, I went into Utilities and no luck, and I did a search in the Edit Menu window for thickener and no luck. I launched my 11.5 version and it is there. I am trying to see if it can lot but no luck. How do I reset the ap or do I need to do a new install?

Ha, I tried Danner's tip about the Cor Tools again after a restart and all is working!
    Thanks folks for all your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen0523 View Post
    Thanks, I went into Utilities and no luck, and I did a search in the Edit Menu window for thickener and no luck. I launched my 11.5 version and it is there. I am trying to see if it can lot but no luck. How do I reset the ap or do I need to do a new install?
    you canīt search for thickener, it can only find the absolute correct command..which is thicken, that may be why you didnīt find it.
    also ..you could have scanned your folder for the plugin, if it by any chans wasnīt recognized as loaded.
    But it all worked out it seems anyway, just to remember next time, search for the exact names, and learn to scan folder, and even manually locate the plugin with
    windows explorer etc.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ... and even manually locate the plugin with
    windows explorer etc.

Michael
    That'd be kind of hard since he is on a mac ;o) For third party plugins is viable to search on the hard drive, but lots of native tools get bunched up in one .p file. Modeling_pack.p Modeling_tools.p Core_Tools.p Conv3d.p etc all hold several commands inside them.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    ... next time, search for the exact names, ....
    Actually, isn't the lesson "DON'T search for exact names, search for shorter versions of the name" ? That's what I do, because it's crazy how people mangle the names of things.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Actually, isn't the lesson "DON'T search for exact names, search for shorter versions of the name" ? That's what I do, because it's crazy how people mangle the names of things.
    Right, and even then they might put another word in front of it or such. I find the best approach if something's "missing" is to pull up the Plugins panel, switch to "File" mode, and (in the case of "native" tools) check and see if any of the usual suspects aren't listed, indicating problems. In the case of third-party plugins, it's easier because you usually know the file name and can check the list to see if it's still present (and if not, try to re-add it).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    maybe...best to make sure to know the plugin though, if you donīt you might not even get it right with a shorter version of the name, but whatever works...shorter name search will
    also bring up other equally named plugins if such are available, which means you have to jump through several plugins, but itīs one way to go about it
    search for thicken with t or th, and you see what I mean, if you are fairly confident about what it is called, you will find it quite fast
    So to save time I would do a name search after what you think it is or been told it is called, if that fails, search for lower amount of letters.

It might be handy to have a plugin/menu edit search which progressivly search and finds while you still have the search window open, and not start it up
    as two modules.

Michael

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Well, "th" is TOO short, but "thick" (iirc) only gives 2 measly hits, which are a lot easier+faster to click thru than attempting to correctly type some random combo of letters an apparently drunken programmer thought would be cute to designate their plugin/script with. EG, "Slidex2-3" versus "Slide-X2.3" and that kind of mishegas.

Just throwing out successful Search strategies here: I use the Menu Editor as a very VERY lame HELP system all the damn time.

Certainly ANY kind of non-modal (i.e. "always available") help system would be big help, Blender is particularly nice in this respect, and I suspect MAYA may have this covered in their usual overkill way. 'Progressive' is a good idea, as you say, in that you can often see the answer 'way before you finish typing the Search.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.