Thread: Excessive Buffering when Streaming to UStream.TV

Excessive Buffering when Streaming to UStream.TV

I have the TriCaster 460. I'm testing it with my Ustream.TV account. Everything is working. However, those that watch the telecast complain about excessive buffering when view the show on Ustream.TV. I know that I have a very fast Internet Cable connection. I am careful not to have a lot of computers watching the stream at my facility. Nevertheless, I'm having this buffering problem. I watch TWIT.TV. I know they use the TriCaster and they are streaming via UStream.TV. I don't experience any buffering problems when watching their shows. I need some help. I'm doing my dress rehearsal for the broadcast tonight. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. - The TechnoRev.

Make sure you have fast upload as well as download. Check at a site like http://www.speedtest.net and look at the upload speed. You'll probably want something at least 1 to 2 Mbps depending on what you are trying to send out.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

To add to What Kris has suggested...

It does sound like you potentially have buffering between your encoder and the UStream publish point.

If you weren't doing your encoding in the Tricaster you would be able to see whether or not that is the case since buffer can be monitored on any encoder.

As Kris suggested, the most likely source of buffering is your local uplink bandwidth - and a speed test will identify this issue. How much uplink bandwidth you needs depends on your Ustream profile, but if you have at least 3Mbps up you should be right.

Buffering between encoder and publish point can also be generated in the internet's backbone. Reasonably regularly, issues appear with routes from your ISP to some other particular destination in the Internet.

UStream doesn't have many publish points which increases the likely hood of buffering issues since you and the publish point may be on opposite sides of the globe.

Do a Traceroute to your UStream publish point. If you download your FMLE XML and look for the rtmp URL, then set up a ping to the address - which will be something like 1.14430xxx.fme.ustream.tv. You can also do a Traceroute to this URL which will give you the number of hops and time taken for each. This may show the issue. It will also give you the publish point IP address which you can then do a reverse IP on to find out where it is.

For the publish point above (I have replaced 3 digits with X's) a reverse IP lookup tells me it is in Japan - which is not so great for someone publishing from Europe.

You may find if you have local connections from two ISPs, ISP 1 may have issues getting to the publish point whilst ISP 2 is AOK.

If your ping and Traceroute show multi-second delays then your viewers will probably see issues.

There could also be other causes - and the above doesn't fix your issues... You will have a better idea of what is going on though.

Folk who live stream every day set up Tier 1 global CDN accounts and one of the things you always get is a publish point in your region. Without going down that path, publishing to Livestream or YouTube are alternatives if you continue to have issues.
    3xScreen Media - the online video experts
    www.3xscreen.co.uk

We use 860, 850 & 450 Tricasters, 3Play 425, Livetext laptops, LT Scoreboards, UltimateTV Midi Doll, Young Monkey's Mastercontrol.

Thank you so much for the info and explanation. I am studying the Greek language, but I must say that 3xScreen's answer, while through and most appreciated, was by and large Greek to me. My Internet service provider said that I have the maximum upload speed of 10 mbps. But I will do the speed test, and have my Internet connection checked. As for the wonderful troubleshooting recommended by 3xScreen, I'll have someone interpret it for me and then try to do it. I appreciate it so much.

I just ran the speed test and the upload came back as 11.36 mbps. That seems good to me. Is it possible that something could be bad with my modem or router? God forbid is it possible that something is wrong with my TriCaster Encoder? Credible speculation is welcomed.

TWIT uses UStream, but they don't encode using the Tricaster, they use an Elemental encoder.
    Have you tried making a Flash Profile and pushing to UStream using that (not the plugin)?

NewTek Certified Operator - TriCaster Professional Line
    TC 460 8000 / ATEM 4K 1 M/E
    Elemental Live / Teradek Cube/Bond / Wirecast 6
    Panasonic HE120 Sony F55/F5/FS7/EX3
    LinkedIn

I've been having problems also using the Ustream plug in . I have a TC 40. I have a 35 Mbps upload speed at my office. I tried every combination of bandwidth and resolution setting, and everything except low bandwidth and the smallest resolution gave me major buffering problems.

I tried following the advice below, but when you select Ustream, there's no option to manually enter the settings. So I selected Bitgravity and used my RTMP settings from the Usream remote setting.

Works great now!!! I"m using an HD setting and no buffering. I guess there's something wrong with the Ustream plug in.
    Marty Jenoff
    TC-1
    TC 40 v2
    Canon c100, Canon XF305, XF205, XF105
    Focal Point Productions, Inc.
    Baltimore, Maryland
    www.focalpp.com

You can name that profile (make a new profile) anything you want (ie "Ustream that actually works" etc).

These plugins seem more trouble than they are worth. Problem is the CDN will change something on their end, and i'm sure they don't always notify Newtek or update the plugin.

NewTek Certified Operator - TriCaster Professional Line
    TC 460 8000 / ATEM 4K 1 M/E
    Elemental Live / Teradek Cube/Bond / Wirecast 6
    Panasonic HE120 Sony F55/F5/FS7/EX3
    LinkedIn

YES, I now saved my new profile and everything seems fine.
    Marty Jenoff
    TC-1
    TC 40 v2
    Canon c100, Canon XF305, XF205, XF105
    Focal Point Productions, Inc.
    Baltimore, Maryland
    www.focalpp.com