Thread: Autocad to LW3D? Help!

Exclamation Autocad to LW3D? Help!

I know this has been asked a lot of times, but i wanna ask it again (can't find the thread).

HOW DO I IMPORT AUTOCADD 2002 (dwg) TO LIGHTWAVE 7.5?

Thanks for you tips in advance.....
    Live life as a gift
    Live life a day at a time
    Once you lost it
    You lost it forever

If you can export .3DS from ACAD that imports fine into LW -
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

LW also can load (import) DXF files natively (just gemotery but pretty fine).

Go to modeler and use load object as for normal LW files but change settings to "all files" and it will alow you to load other formats than "*.lwo" .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Now with 42% more Pope! liquidpope's Avatar
    For me, the best luck I ever have is exporting Acad files to .3ds, then loading that into LW.

Most important... When you load the object into LW, be sure to scale to ".0254". This is because Acad "thinks" in inches, and LW "thinks" in meters. If you leave it set at 10, a 36" sphere would end up being 360 meters. Quite a scale difference, no?

Also, every poly will be tripled, 100% luminous and double-sided. So there's some clean-up work you'll need to do. Other than that, works great for solids, faces, even lines and text.

Good luck.

Jimbo
    Ron Jeremy is NOT my dad!!!!!!!!

.0254 most helpful.
    Shuttle XPCVista 64 bit /Core2Extreme x9650 3.00GHz 8GB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Cintiq 21UX
    Dell 24" LCD Dell XT2 Tablet /Win 7 32 Bit /Core 2 duo SU9600 1.6 GHz 3GB / Mobil Intel 4500MHD

Newbie Member
    Originally posted by Lewis
    LW also can load (import) DXF files natively (just gemotery but pretty fine).

Go to modeler and use load object as for normal LW files but change settings to "all files" and it will alow you to load other formats than "*.lwo" .
    Why can't you just set the units in LW to feet and inches ?
    jpbrooks