Thread: How would you go about this? zBrush or Modeller?

Insane Carrot Cake Eater eagleeyed's Avatar

How would you go about this? zBrush or Modeller?

Hi there guys.
    I am suffering from a case of information overload, and a million and one ways of doing this, so am a bit saturated with information.
    I think I have just read too much information, and am a bit lost as to the best way to proceed.

I am currently working on the design of a vehicle similar to a car that as part of the episode, will be involved in a high speed incident destroying the vehicle and sending parts of it everywhere.

I have recently started to make decent use out of Zbrush and GoZ to LightWave, and have found it has made prototyping vehicles a lot easier from scratch instead of playing with SubD's.
    However, a lot of what I am creating will have moving parts, for example the vehicles doors will be opened, parts go flying in the crash etc.

I cannot get my head around how now I have a base sculpt done, how I would cut the doors/windows/tailgate out of the half million poly zbrush mesh cleanly, and then continue adding detail.
    All animation is done in LightWave.

Essentially, the question I am asking is, if you owned both LightWave and Zbrush and the model was to be animated:
    A: Is there a way in Zbrush that I am missing that would allow me to simply and cleanly cut the doors out the body model, and use them in animation?
    B: Run for the hills! Create the design in Zbrush, but when you are happy with it, create it again in LightWave from scratch so the mesh is clean.

I know now I have the vehicle design the way I like, I could now create it with SubD's in LightWave, however with the design already in zBrush I feel I may be wasting time recreating it all and that there could be a better way.
    I just dont have a clue how to break the model up cleanly in Zbrush for use in LightWave to be animated.

All the tutorials I have found don't seem to help in designing for animation, just a model to be used for a single image.

I thought best to ask here rather than the Zbrush forum as the forums there I find are heavily pointed to hero images and poses, rather than sculpts being optimized for animation.

Thank you so much for any help.
    Because you can never have too much pudding.
    ----------
    LightWave 2015 - sprinkled with LW-Cad 5, TurbulenceFD, Advanced Placement and Choc Drops for extra flavour
    i7-2600, 16GB RAM, Win 10 Pro

This could help. You can see how he cuts the things out when he is working on the dashboard and such.

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/home.../#introduction
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

Once you figure out how to cut it up cleanly, look up the retopology tools in Zbrush so you get an optimized mesh.

Insane Carrot Cake Eater eagleeyed's Avatar
    Thanks akademus - I watched that tutorial about two weeks ago, watching it again now. I think I have made it more complicated than it needs to be.

Danner - will do. Looking into retopology, for some reason I had not heard about zRemesher until after I posted this, hopefully that will make the job a lot easier.

Thanks guys.
    Because you can never have too much pudding.
    ----------
    LightWave 2015 - sprinkled with LW-Cad 5, TurbulenceFD, Advanced Placement and Choc Drops for extra flavour
    i7-2600, 16GB RAM, Win 10 Pro

Oooh I want to do that tut.

Me I always run for the hills, The new Zremesher looks good, But for animation and rendering I want control to a T and I usually just retopo with full edge loop control even finer than you'll ever get with Zremesher. That is me. Old school I guess. But I want to check out that tut as well.