Thread: LC-11 is crippled after upgrading to TCXD 860

LC-11 is malfunctioning after upgrading to TCXD 860

Problem 1: the whole Effects row is inactive.

Problem 2: the A and B Joysticks do not perform Zoom; although, the joysticks are performing the X- and Y- positions and scale for DSK 1 and DSK 2.

Zooms and Effects Row worked perfectly in TCXD 855, but somehow got lost in the TCXD 860 upgrade. I reported this issue to the Tech Support today and they’re investigating.

Does anyone know how to address this problem? Please help.

BTW, the LC-11 configuration file lc-11.nsd2.xml does have a code for AUX and for Joystick 1 & 2 the Virtual_Zoom.
    Last edited by cezaryg; 10-24-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cezaryg View Post
    I reported this issue to the Tech Support today and they’re investigating.
    After checking and replicating the issue the Support responded that the Effects row and Zooms were not designed into the upgrade, and advised of bringing my concern via this Forum.

After checking and replicating the issue the Support responded that the Effects row and Zooms were not designed into the upgrade, and advised of bringing my concern via this Forum.
    I looked into this case, and honestly, this is at least partly incorrect.

None of the newest models (410, 460, 860 or 8000) have an Effects row (or FX, or Util). The need for this row has been largely been eliminated (and its usefulness surpassed) by the new color group linking of rows. Nevertheless, to provide some similar ability to those using older CSes (including LC-11), the Green group was designated as an ersatz "FX bus", and is marked as such in the UI. Selections made on LC-11's FX row update sources for any rows in the Switcher or M/Es assigned to the green group.

(It is similar for those with 450/455/460/850/855/860 model CSes, which have an FX delegate for the UTIL row.)

The LiveSet zoom worked in 855, so the related issue may be unintentional, not sure yet. Obviously there is no implicit promise to support LC-11 endlessly on products appearing many years after the immensely less feature rich model it was designed for, so I can't say right now whether this will be addressed or not.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post

The LiveSet zoom worked in 855, so the related issue may be unintentional, not sure yet. Obviously there is no implicit promise to support LC-11 endlessly on products appearing many years after the immensely less feature rich model it was designed for, so I can't say right now whether this will be addressed or not.
    I think the issue with LiveSet Zoom is that the virtual sets in the 410, 460, 860 and 8000 systems are no longer locked on a 'fixed' path, but you now have a free moving camera that can move up, down, left, right and zoom. The joysticks on the LC-11 are only 2D and can't offer all of this functionally, where as the joysticks on the higher level control surfaces are 3D joysticks and can perform all of these functions at once. So I think in this case you are dealing with fact that the software has expanded beyond what the LC-11 hardware is capable of.
    Last edited by kanep; 10-25-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you Steve and thank you Kane for your very fast and thoughtful response. The LC-11 is still commonly used by many, because of its compact form factor and small footprint comparing to the CS family. It is an invaluable little switching board, easily squeezable into the overhead bin at the airplane; personally, I have it on me inside my backpack under my feet under the front passenger's seat. So, for the road warriors who're doing sports from extremely exotic locales like tents on the mountain hill, or on the top of the bleachers in a very crammed and tight spaces inside old sports venues -- the CS size would be an issue.

I wish there would be an equivalent of the LC-11 available for the newest TCXDs, something as durable and compact as the LC-11. For now I'm sticking to my LC-11, for bad or for worse.

BTW, the Effects row, as it is originally marked on the LC-11 surface, in TCXD 850/855 I used for the first layer in a Virtual Sets stack, e.g. changing the virtual monitors' content.

Again, thanks for your response.
    Last edited by cezaryg; 10-25-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    I think the issue with LiveSet Zoom is that the virtual sets in the 410, 460, 860 and 8000 systems are no longer locked on a 'fixed' path, but you now have a free moving camera that can move up, down, left, right and zoom.
    One more thought: wouldn't this be fantastic to designate the Joystick A for zooms, and the Joystick B for moves up, down, left, right? This would be a sticks-of-joy situation, a true LC-11 joy-sticks (joysticks) heaven... (pun intended)

And a 3D deployment, also.

BTW, the Effects row, as it is originally marked on the LC-11 surface, in TCXD 850/855 I used for the first layer in a Virtual Sets stack, e.g. changing the virtual monitors' content.
    You can still do that. All you need to do is set the KEY rows of the M/E's in question to the Green group.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Consultant
    I wish there would be an equivalent of the LC-11 available for the newest TCXDs, something as durable and compact as the LC-11. For now I'm sticking to my LC-11, for bad or for worse.
    Agreed. I got rid of one large CS and tend to leave the other one at home. The LC-11 is portable, affordable, rackable, and robust. The form factor is just great - I have several of them.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Quote Originally Posted by csandy View Post
    Agreed. I got rid of one large CS and tend to leave the other one at home. The LC-11 is portable, affordable, rackable, and robust. The form factor is just great - I have several of them.
    Colin, I have slightly modified the factory setting for my work needs, (missing keycaps you can get from NewTek).

So now my keycaps layout is on all three rows as follows: 1 – 8, DDR1, DDR2, EXT (used for NET1).

While holding ALT key I’m alternatively switching: M/E 1 – M/E 8, GFX1, GFX2, NET2.

If you want, I can send you the modified XML file.
    Last edited by cezaryg; 10-28-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Caesar I have been looking to do what you have done to the LC 11. Could you send me how you did it , What I wanted to do was 1-6 video DDR1 DDR2 V1 V2 V3. I am using a 455
    your help will be greatly appreciated

PM sent.
    Last edited by cezaryg; 11-19-2013 at 05:55 PM.