Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still using Windows XP? It's about to die

Anyone still using Windows XP? It's about to die

I was forced to use 64 bit windows XP at an fx house recently and the lw 9.6 beta loaded with glitches. Oh well!

If you are still using windows XP it's end of life cycle is now about six months away. Next april all bug fixes, security patches and more will be turned off forever.

DEATH TO WINDOWS XP!

For more info: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-support-help

Now about you Vista users ...

In its day a very progressive, stable, dependable OS. I had a dual boot 32/64 bit XP system with 6 gig RAM and you could see the future swapping hi poly models between ZBrush and LW or ramping up the res in LW 64 bit displacement mapping without your computer flipping.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

TrueArt Support
    Anyone still using Windows XP?
    Me..

oh corks
    Me too.

XP64. Never crashes, never bluescreens. You can get to everything you might ever want to adjust, which is just part of it generally behaving like a professional tool, not like a stupid, brightly colored toy. Win2000 was the very best version of Windows, utterly rock solid and devoid of stunted, hamstrung "ease of use" features that are designed to cater for the very lowest levels of computer illiterate incompetency. Still, XP64 is good enough.

I'm going to have to buy a copy of Win7 before it goes away, because otherwise it's Win8, and... ha ha ha... I mean... really? Seriously Microsoft? Ha ha ha ha... ha ha haa ha haaa... ha ha hah ha ha etc.

I will miss XP.

All my boxes are XP64. The last box I bought was my W5580 in July 2009. No problems here & would be more than happy to get another box with XP if it was possible. I also run XP in Classic as I don't need any fluff, together with Spyder calibrated grey monitors on main PC & Mac I have the least amount of distractions.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

I use XP at work but I'm not in the cutting edge sector like most. My system works and it works fine.

As for bug fixes? It's been how many years? If they aren't fixed by now they never were going to be.
    And to security patches, my system is offline, don't need 'em.

But just so you don't think I'm being obstinate, I did a memo detailing the hardships of any future software upgrades and the limited lifespan of the system to my management and even suggested a timeline and system to upgrade while spreading the cost across multiple quarters. They weren't interested. So, when it dies, it dies. I'll be disappointed because I know I won't get a new system. And my management will tear their hair out when I can no longer "just" provide them with the things which they have grown to take for granted.

We have a combination of WinXP and Win7 machines.

No problems on any of them running LW9.6 64 bit. Never had a problem with XP and all installations are very stable

mainly vista here!
    have win7 at work and hate it...
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

LW was actually used by Bill Gates at a product demo as an example of the power of their then new 64 bit version of windows xp. It was one of the few true 64 bit apps at the time that did 3d animation. So he used a 32bit and 64 bit version of a james Cameron like underwater scene to demo how much better 64 bit was for animation work.

Um...Rob Powers may have been the guy that did that demo...if I remember correctly.

XP64 for me too. I started the switch to win8 but had problems getting Office to run (old Office XP) and forgot to uninstall Photoshop and spent an hour on the phone trying to get through to Adobe that my old address I registered it to was not my current address -- some poeple do move! After being accused of pirating it, I said goodbye to Adobe and then decided to go back to my XP which I had a backup of.
    23oct18: Lightwave 2018.6 Build 3069, win10 x64, AMD Ryzen 1800, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v411.34 (23oct18)

Just recently installed two virtual machines to run XP. The first use was to drive an Epson 9500 44" printer when Epson stated flat out that they would not be providing drivers for anything past XP. :\ The second was to be able to run MYST Riven and MYST Revelation, which would not run on Win8, no matter how I hacked them. Oddly enough, I could get MYST Masterpiece Edition & MYST Exile to run directly on the Win8 64-bit OS in WoW64, but not on the 32-bit OS. Go figure...
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jaf View Post
    XP64 for me too. I started the switch to win8 but had problems getting Office to run (old Office XP) and forgot to uninstall Photoshop and spent an hour on the phone trying to get through to Adobe that my old address I registered it to was not my current address -- some poeple do move! After being accused of pirating it, I said goodbye to Adobe and then decided to go back to my XP which I had a backup of.
    Always write a polite but firm letter to the CEO of the company if nothing works lower down. I have always had an answer from a more senior person & the problem has been fixed.

If by chance it does not work you are at the very least costing them administration time, or in other words money!

If I don't get satisfaction I purposely go & waste these companies time & let them know it.
    Last edited by JonW; 10-21-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Frequenter
    Also still using xp64 here on my main Workstation, side-by-side with Win7. And my LW loves it :-) Actually, it is the most stable system I had since back in the NT-Days... And leaves a LOT smaller memory-footprint than 7 does... :-)
    Really sad that M$ has aboned a good old trusted workhorse, but I always felt it seemed to be treated merely just as stepchild anyway... :-\

oh corks
    Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    have win7 at work and hate it...
    Well I hope you haven't used up all of your hate on Win7... because eventually you're going to try Win8... and if you've got nothing left then your mind is going to shrivel like a week old party balloon...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast