Thread: Import .3ds or .obj without tripled polygons?

Import .3ds or .obj without tripled polygons?

Hi there!

I received some Sketchup models that I have to import in modeler, so far .3ds export from Sketchup works great, but
    as I want to add some details on the models such as rounded edges, I'm looking for a way to import .3ds without
    tripled polygons.

As I first thought it was a Sketchup exporting issue, I load the model into 3dsMax but here the model is fine, I mean
    without tripled polygons. So it appears to be a Modeler importing question.

I've although try Merge Trigon X, but the result is not really good (it's large scale arch exteriors scenes)

Any advices?

Quote Originally Posted by MUCUS View Post
    Hi there!

I received some Sketchup models that I have to import in modeler, so far .3ds export from Sketchup works great, but
    as I want to add some details on the models such as rounded edges, I'm looking for a way to import .3ds without
    tripled polygons.

As I first thought it was a Sketchup exporting issue, I load the model into 3dsMax but here the model is fine, I mean
    without tripled polygons. So it appears to be a Modeler importing question.

I've although try Merge Trigon X, but the result is not really good (it's large scale arch exteriors scenes)

Any advices?

The .3ds format only stores triangles. Max just hides the edge to make it look like quads. An .obj can have quads which you might want to try.

If you are using Merge Trigon X try this version. https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...mergetrigonsx/ It's updated and works with UV's if the model has them.

-M
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

LightWave 11.6 has "Merge Triangles"
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

. Obj does handle n-gons, so if sketch up does export. Obj, try that.

Additionally by way of Blender, if you use it, you can use Tris to Quads in the Mesh/Faces menu while in Edit mode and then export to .obj or .lwo.

Maybe the sketchup pro version with fbx export, that exports out to quads I think, with option to triangulate if you would like to have that by any chance.
    maybe a fbx exporter might be around for the free version,donīt know.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Additionally by way of Blender, if you use it, you can use Tris to Quads in the Mesh/Faces menu while in Edit mode and then export to .obj or .lwo.
    ^This is what I do, since it works instantly and it's pretty amazing (haven't tried LW 11.6 yet). You may want to "Remove Doubles" first before you do the Tris to Quads.