Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TrueArt Item info

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Thanks Brian. Not quite the way I was thinking of doing it, but it looks like an interesting solution. Just back from a long day at work, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

aka BRYPHI77
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Thanks Brian. Not quite the way I was thinking of doing it, but it looks like an interesting solution. Just back from a long day at work, so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    Doesnt have to be exactly like the one I posted. You should be able to modify your set up to do similar effect as long as the gradient is controlled by something that has key frames on it. This was just quick test I did to see if it could work. You said your gradient was controlled by the target... this will also work. The trick is shifting the gradient with the time input on item info with whatever object you are using to control it.

I'm more intrigued by the different way you used to get the solution to the way I was thinking it would work.

Here's a pic of my nodal setup I did yesterday but didn't get 'round to posting. I find it interesting the way different people use different approaches to get the same result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nodes.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	117439  
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

aka BRYPHI77
    I'm more intrigued by the different way you used to get the solution to the way I was thinking it would work.

Here's a pic of my nodal setup I did yesterday but didn't get 'round to posting. I find it interesting the way different people use different approaches to get the same result.

Yeah, using the time/frame is the way I would have done it in real situation. I thought you were using keyed target to drive the gradient but time/frame is better. I would have thought you had to use the frame+1 in one of those gradients to get a proper target. As you have it, it looks like its always targeting from the launcher position instead of its current location. After messing with this last night I thought of a bunch of ideas for doing multiple missiles using part move and similar method. You could get some really good effects.

One thing that would be cool is to use an in between position based on the average of the launcher and the target, but based on the targets position a few frames behind its current location using time input. It would give it a bit of lag effect.

Quote Originally Posted by tbagger View Post
    As you have it, it looks like its always targeting from the launcher position instead of its current location
    Yes, that version is. I plan to crossfade from that version of rotation, (which move matches the launcher), to the tracking version after launch.

After messing with this last night I thought of a bunch of ideas for doing multiple missiles using part move and similar method. You could get some really good effects.
    Just what I'm planning to do today.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Well, after spending most of the day banging my head against the wall with nodes in 11.6, I've swapped back to 11.5 and made some real progress, (yes, I know I should have paid more attention to your comments in other threads Sensei! ).

Everything is now working exactly as expected in my original post, and the bells and whistles version well underway. Tomorrow I shall post some results, and also spend some time trying to get repeatable fails in 11.6 so I can FogBugz them.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Now I have the technique down, I think I might have to dress this up a bit and do it as a proper animation.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

wow this is very practical and often used scenario in 3d. really cool technique.

Ta. I'm going to see if Dan wants me to do it as a tutorial at the next London LW group, and after I've practised on them, I may well put it up on Youtube.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Ta. I'm going to see if Dan wants me to do it as a tutorial at the next London LW group, and after I've practised on them, I may well put it up on Youtube.
    That would be awesome. It would be great to do a final meet before Christmas. Maybe mid-late November?
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Fine with that. Just need to work out how to compress something I worked on with two maximised full screen displays onto the relatively low resolution of my 2010 13" macbook.
    Al

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12