Thread: Problems with Full Body Motion Capture Example (from Nevron Manual, Sept 25th update)

Problems with Full Body Motion Capture Example (from Nevron Manual, Sept 25th update)

Alright, decided to give it another try today after carefully following the installation instructions.

The steps in the manual are as follows, with my comments in purple below.

1) Load the Kinect_Skeleton_SKL0.lws scene. Use Load from Scene to bring in \The_Bounce\
    Scenes\Bounce_NevronMotion_Genoma_Rig.lws. Bring in the light from the Bounce scene
    because it is referred to by the CgFX shader

This is what I'm seeing...not too good....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheBounceWithPileOBones.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	117350

** Note: If you select all his bones and rest them (r) then he seems reset back to "normal", but the pile o' bones between his feet still exist, which is probably bad.

2) Arrange your character’s skeleton to closely match that of the Kinect skeleton. You can
    scale the whole Kinect skeleton (using the Master_SKL_Global_0 item) or parts of it to
    better match Bounce’s proportions. When adjusting the Genoma rig, only change the green
    controller objects at each joint, not the bones themselves. The most important thing to
    match is hip placement and orientation.

3) When the skeletons are close enough, open the NevronMotion window. Make sure you
    are in the Preset Kinect Player 0 and hit Retarget. After a pause you should see all the green
    controllers on the Bounce character turn into magenta boxes.

So following the instructions I get this after retargeting...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheBounceAfterRetargeting.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	117351

-shawn

Ditto. WTF?
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

Ouch! So it's not just me.

Should we be fogbugz'ing these sort of things with the prelease? (since this is following the workflow pointed out in the manual)

Did you turn ACTIVE button OFF from virtual studio first?
    -I7 2600k 4.4ghz
    -16GB
    -gtx560ti
    -eizo ce240w
    -mouse
    -dog

Quote Originally Posted by tayotain2 View Post
    Did you turn ACTIVE button OFF from virtual studio first?
    Yep, it was off until the very end (after retargeting) Seems like things go wrong on the load from scene, with that pile o' bones at the feet of the loaded character.

Oddly, I do not have this problem anymore. Weird.

There is definitely a twist to the hips, but I'm starting with my back towards the Kinect... ::shrug::

I've also used the simple kinect with the system as it works... perfectly.

NOW all I need to learn is how to make it record. ;-)
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP

I retried my steps again and had the same problems. I added some different variations (load order, making sure active was off in virtual studio, tried importing the Nevron skeleton into a blank scene) without success. I finally logged a bug in fogbugz. We'l see what Newtek comes back with.

Hi,

It does look like Active is on in the first image. That always turns the bones into a pile if you are not in the Kinect's field of view. Without Bounce in the scene does the skeleton work? Are you using an XBox Kinect or a Windows one?

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

No, active was off. You can see both the blue skeleton and the green one almost in alignment. If active is on, the greens one would be a pile of bones(flipping active on, moves them into a pile to the lower left).

I think the problem starts with the load from scene step that causes the pile of bones to appear at the character's feet. This pile of bones all follow the naming convention of Bone01(n) or Bone02(n). Also other blue bones do appear where they should be in the skeleton (i.e. RightForeArmRoll) These bones also don't show up in the load from scene dialog.

I've logged Case 66168 for this and Deuce has been looking into it.

Oh...and I'm using the Windows Kinect (I forked out the extra $ to be 100% compliant )

Don't think it is a Kinect issue...
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP

Looks like it has been confirmed as a bug. Got this reply from Newtek Support:

"Ok - we have identified a bug -- and we hope to get a new build out shortly -- if you have the installer for the version of LightWave 11.6 prior to this last one that should work until we get this bug fixed."

(BTW, Thanks Newtek Support for the quick response to the bug report and followup emails!)

Quote Originally Posted by snsmoore View Post
    Looks like it has been confirmed as a bug. Got this reply from Newtek Support:

"Ok - we have identified a bug -- and we hope to get a new build out shortly -- if you have the installer for the version of LightWave 11.6 prior to this last one that should work until we get this bug fixed."

(BTW, Thanks Newtek Support for the quick response to the bug report and followup emails!)
    Installer? Huh?
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP

I haven't tried it, but I think they mean to just install the previous Lightwave 11.6 version, but use the latest version of Nevron. I was just going to wait until the next release came out and try things again, rather than monkey around with mixed version of Nevron and LW.

Ok, this works now based on the final 11.6 update.

(I'll still need to do some fine tuning on the deformations. Seems the difference in the motion capture skeleton vs. the character can really make a difference. I may need to use weight maps to control some scrunching in the shoulders)