Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creating a corrective morph using Chronosculpt

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Trying everything I can think of and this is best I get;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LWCapture.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	118332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChronoCapture.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	118333

The LW morph at frame 15, looks nothing like the same morph at same frame in ChronoSculpt.

So....still confused
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    He didn't write CS in his post.... he wrote LightWave. Maybe he meant CS though, but I can only read what he wrote, not what he might have been thinking about.

Lino: Come back here and clear this up.
    It's contextual, as I read it. The thread is about CS (and we're in the CS forums), so he's saying we cannot create "precise corrective morphs in Lightwave" _using CS_. Still, clarification would be nice. If he was suggesting CS could be used to make precise corrective morphs, an explanation of how would also be welcome.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

The only way I've ever been able to do this in LightWave is by trial and error, that is, by repeatedly switching back and forth between Layout and Modeler to tweak a joint morph. It gets the job done but it's not very efficient...and a real pain in the butt.

Back when Chronosculpt was first announced, I too assumed it might be used for corrective morphs. While I do find found CS to be very useful in its intended usage (fixing MDDs,) creating and editing joint morphs unfortunately isn't one of them.

Being able to edit meshes directly in Layout, even at the most basic level, is a long overdue feature. A few years ago, 3D Cel demonstrated with an experimental plug-in that Layout is capable of doing this but nothing really came from that project.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by prospector View Post
    Trying everything I can think of and this is best I get;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LWCapture.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	118332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ChronoCapture.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	118333

The LW morph at frame 15, looks nothing like the same morph at same frame in ChronoSculpt.

So....still confused
    I'm still looking into this in a LW context but you'll get much better results if you use the displacement nodes with "before local displacement" turned on. Morph mixer won't work well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corrective Nodes.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	118361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corrective Nodes_Off.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	118359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corrective_MorphMixer.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	894.9 KB 
ID:	118360  
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 11-22-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

you'll get much better results if you use the displacement nodes
    Will try that.

Back when Chronosculpt was first announced, I too assumed it might be used for corrective morphs
    Me three
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    I'm still looking into this in a LW context but you'll get much better results if you use the displacement nodes with "before local displacement" turned on. Morph mixer won't work well.
    Yes because its after bones, but try that with the body rotated around. It won't work.
    As I said earlier, doing morphs after bones is great, but you will need to also find a way of rotating the morph vectors properly.
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18493&dateline=130857  4707

Quote Originally Posted by pooby View Post
    Yes because its after bones, but try that with the body rotated around. It won't work.
    As I said earlier, doing morphs after bones is great, but you will need to also find a way of rotating the morph vectors properly.
    Edit: Actually with this node setup I don't get any unwanted distortion if I rotate the entire model 180. Even if I rotate the spine 180 all is well so far. But I'll have to complete an entire rig in lightwave to really know for sure.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 11-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Well that didn't work.
    Went from -3-- to 3-- and all in between.
    the morph moved slightly but nowhere near acceptible.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Quote Originally Posted by prospector View Post
    Well that didn't work.
    Went from -3-- to 3-- and all in between.
    the morph moved slightly but nowhere near acceptible.
    I assume you are applying the morph to Tpose inside Chrono right? I would practice on something more simple like an elbow or knee protrusion.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 11-23-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    Edit: Actually with this node setup I don't get any unwanted distortion if I rotate the entire model 180. Even if I rotate the spine 180 all is well so far. But I'll have to complete an entire rig in lightwave to really know for sure.
    Are you rotating just the bones or the parent model?
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18493&dateline=130857  4707

Quote Originally Posted by pooby View Post
    Are you rotating just the bones or the parent model?
    I have the skeleton and the model parented to a group null. That's how it comes in from maya. I'm also using maya style joints in LW with "Use Weightmap only". The elbow morph looks virtually the same no matter where I rotate the group null.

If I parent the skeleton to the the model I see no difference in the deformation. when the model is rotated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM_Schematic.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	118375  
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 11-23-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Try rotating just the bones. If you rotate the whole mesh then it will give the impression that it's fine as that will rotate the morphs, however, in animation, it's usually the bones doing the rotating.

welp, I'm not seeing the problem yet after rotating a bunch of joints but I'm sure something will come up later. Thanks

Yep applying morph to 1 frame of base model as it comes from modeler then exporting as endo with new object and doing a replace object with it.
    just rotating shin bone back and toe base bone up so as it looks like a step with foot bent.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Well, I said I'd try it in a couple of weeks, and it's been more like six, but I finally tried this out and... nope. Not working well for me. I really thought it would, and it was fairly simple to try out. Everything made sense, but my morph looks quite different in Layout than it did in when I sculpted it in ChronoSculpt. But I still think it's a great idea and I'm going to try again soon. Even finding a spare half an hour is hard for me!

BTW, ChronoSculpt is extremely buggy in Mac. A lot of the key commands don't work properly, and saving the morph was bizarre to say the least. But there are lots of cool things I like about it too.
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?
    Our new movie is here: http://epistrophypictures.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast