Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricaster 460 and 860 Robotic camera integration

Tricaster 460 and 860 Robotic camera integration

Hi, I had a quick look but can't find the details of the robotic camera integration NewTek announced for the 460 and 860.

Does anyone know the details of how it works? ... and why it works on new 460/860s but not upgraded 460/860s

We use Sony BRC-H700 robotics over daisey-chained RS-232 Cat5 cables and Panasonic AW-HE50 robotics with IP control.

As an aside, has anyone tried the new Datavideo PTC-100 robotics?

regards, Scott
    3xScreen Media - the online video experts
    www.3xscreen.co.uk

We use 860, 850 & 450 Tricasters, 3Play 425, Livetext laptops, LT Scoreboards, UltimateTV Midi Doll, Young Monkey's Mastercontrol.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xScreen View Post
    ... and why it works on new 460/860s but not upgraded 460/860s
    I don't believe this should be correct. As to details, rather than blindly repeat what's in the the manual, maybe you could give us some idea what sort of problem are you are encountering?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week

We use Sony BRC-H700 robotics over daisey-chained RS-232 Cat5 cables and Panasonic AW-HE50 robotics with IP control. t
    For the Sony's you will need a USB to Serial adapter to connect to the camera chain. (FTDI and Prolific chipset are preferred)
    For the Panasonics, I know for sure the HE120 cameras work over IP. Since the HE50 uses the same method, they should work fine too.

Not sure about the DataVideo ones. It looks like they can use the VISCA protocol so you should be good with the same USB to Serial adapter method.
    Last edited by PIZAZZ; 09-25-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Do you have a model that you recommend on the USB to Serial adapter.. My Sony PTZs have that round connector that looks almost like a S-Video connector.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    [email protected]
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

The Sony units have a 8-pin DIN connector (like old Macintosh systems).

Here is site with the pin outs.
    http://www.pinout.net/browse.php?conid=499

Here is a USB to Serial adapter (Prolific chipset, which are quite common, I picked one of these up at Fry's).
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

If you don't want to build it, then you will need a cable like this
    http://www.tecnec.com/Product.asp?ca...0&showreturn=0
    Last edited by kanep; 09-25-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

My problem was that I hadn't found the manual. The 860 manual wasn't at http://www.newtek.com/support/documentation.html (it is there now) and I hadn't noticed it on the righthand side of http://www.newtek.com/products/tricaster-860.html - Doh! My mistake sorry.

The robotic camera integration looks really helpful. We did three robotic camera productions last week - a board meeting with 3 x Sony BRC-H700s, a panel discussion with 3 x Sony BRC-H700s and a locked-off camera and a classical music performance with 3 x Sony BRC-H700s and 5 x Panasonic AW-HE50s. Although we may not have been able to do so for any of last week's gigs, I can envisage the vision mixer also controlling robotics from the Control Surface for some gigs. It would be difficult if they had to do lots of panning and zooming like you have to when covering an orchestra and choir, but not all productions are that difficult.

For a Sony camera USB interface, what one needs is a cable that converts USB to RS-232, incorporates a null modem and presents it as a RJ45. I can't imagine using Sony robotic cameras with anything other than Cat5 cable daisy chaining from the controller (or Tricaster) to camera 1, cam 1 to cam 2, cam 2 to cam 3, etc.

If anyone is considering robotic cams, I strongly recommend the Panasonic AW-HE50 over the Sony VISCA controlled cams - IP control is so much better than RS-232 - for example, you can extend an IP connection to the camera over WiFi and then convert that back to Ethernet to plug in to the camera and wirelessly take the camera feed via a Teradek Bolt - that is a great option when you have a camera at the back of the upper circle in a large concert hall and really don't want to run cables to it!
    www.3xscreen.co.uk

We use 860, 850 & 450 Tricasters, 3Play 425, Livetext laptops, LT Scoreboards, UltimateTV Midi Doll, Young Monkey's Mastercontrol.

For others who are setting up Tricaster control of robotic cameras via VISCA, our engineering team modified the Rocosoft USB adapter so it presented a RJ-45 socket rather than DB-9. Having the Visca control running over Cat5 cabling means we can easily rig the controlled cameras at any distance from the Tricaster - and each other, without having to worry about special cables. All you need is a healthy supply of Cat 5 cables. A couple of pics are attached... regards, Scott
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tricaster Visca control 2.jpeg 
Views:	1252 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	118477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tricaster Visca control.jpeg 
Views:	1262 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	118478
    www.3xscreen.co.uk

My problem was that I hadn't found the manual. The 860 manual wasn't at http://www.newtek.com/support/documentation.html (it is there now) and I hadn't noticed it on the righthand side of http://www.newtek.com/products/tricaster-860.html - Doh! My mistake sorry.
    No problem, glad you found it. Just in passing, though, these are probably the last places I would look if I already owned the model of TriCaster in question. The easiest place to find the manual is from the Help icon in the Startup>Home page. Otherwise, users of tablets, smart phones, etc., can always pull up the most recent edition using the QR code in the Help mennu on the Live Desktop.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Following up my earlier post about Tricaster USB Visca control over Cat5, Rocosoft sell a Visca USB-Cat5 solution - which I didn't realise! Much easier than making your own!
    www.3xscreen.co.uk

Newbie Member
    Hi, How did you get on with the USB>Cat5 solution? Has anyone tried using a Moxa serial to ethernet solution?

I know the Sena serial over IP boxes do work with TriCaster pro line. Pretty nice being able to drop a camera anywhere there is a network connection and have full control of it.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

Sony PTZ & VISCA

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    I know the Sena serial over IP boxes do work with TriCaster pro line. Pretty nice being able to drop a camera anywhere there is a network connection and have full control of it.

We have used Sony PTZ cameras with the Sony controller since 2005. Our choice was to use the 'RS422 green block' connectors via CAT5 to the controller. Don't know if that will work with the Tricasters.

The green block you are referring to is the 422 serial method of control. The cat5 cable in this situation is just wires from point to point. Not an actual Ethernet packet transport like the boxes I referred to do. 422 still has a distance limitation over copper. Ethernet transport literally has no limitation when you combine miles of fiber and VPN technology.

Just to make sure there is no confusion.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

TriCaster 860 PortaStudio
    I appreciate this discussion. I need to buy some PTZ cameras and I've requested an upgrade from 855 to 860 as well. At the same time, I need to order everything I'll need to build out my control system.

The cameras I'm considering are the SONY SRGH300H and the RM-BR300 controller.
    I can't decide whether or not I need to use external control or if I should trust the TriCaster control solution.
    Is it possible to use an external USB joystick to control the cameras through the TriCaster?
    I'm guessing I will rig myself a way to use either the RM-BR300 or TriCaster control.

The TriCaster can control via the joystick on the control surface or from the 8 presets setup in the user interface.

If you are going to have a separate person controlling the cameras and they need to have manual control, then you are probably better off with the BR300 controller.

You can make macros in the TriCaster to select the 8 presets from a MIDI panel or keyboard (like X-Keys) but you can't make macros perform manual control like joystick moves. An external USB joystick will not work.

If you do go the TriCaster PTZ control route, the recommend serial interface to use is the Keyspan USA-19HS. http://www.tripplite.com/sku/USA19HS/ This unit's drivers have been white listed and will not give a warning about 3rd party software being installed when the TriCaster starts.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast