Thread: Remote Location Tricaster live stream

Remote Location Tricaster live stream

Hi all.

I have a client that wants to know if we could live stream from a remote location, where there is no power. It will probably be from a lake and maybe from a mountain location. He also mentioned that a gas generator would be too noisy. He estimates the broadcast would be for about 2 hours a day for several days.

Has anyone used a solar generator with a tricaster? Do they have enough power?

How reliable is it to use a cell network to stream to?

Anyone up linked directly to satellite with TodoCast? Any idea of costs?

Thanks for your input. James

Regarding power, I think you would be fine with a Honda EU2000i generator. It's extremely quiet, especially in ECO mode. It will be more than sufficient to power a rack case worth of gear. It puts out clean "safe" power for sensitive equipment like a TriCaster. Run a 20' extension cord from the generator to your gear and you will barely be able to hear the generator running in the background.

But I think power is probably the least of your concerns. Your Internet connection should probably be your priority concern. Cell networks can work great -- or extremely poorly. There are probably some good discussions on here if you want to search. If you go this route, you probably want to use multiple cell tower connections with a device like the Teradek Cube and Bond. That is what we use for cell tower streaming.

But is reliable cell service even available at your locations... near a lake and from a mountain? A satellite connection like TodoCast could be more reliable, but more expensive.

Brian
    -- Brian Scheffler
    -- ScheffTech Productions, LLC
    -- ScheffTech.com
    -- Peoria, Illinois
    -- (309) 524-5865

Thanks Brian! They have not given me the locations. If I knew the location I would have a better idea of the cell reception. I have a call into TodoCast to find out what the costs are. Thanks for the info on the generator. James

Hi,

the usual sport event we do annually take usually place on green fields far away from any infrastructure and even if there is something, then we normaly prever not to use it and instead build up our own independent one.
    On such events up to 20 partys (even catering) gets hooked up to one generaotr or power source, so we found out that this is not very reliable. ( http://www.heli-masters.com/live-broadcast/ )

For power we have exactly such a Honda Generator (as brians0105 mentiond) together with a potent UPS in our Rack that is suplying power to the complete gear also including cameras (needs own main lines to the cams) data uplink and what is otherwises needed to get operation up and running.

As backup there is a second generator source in case we have to swap due to a failure of the main one or for example if someone forgot to refill it. :-)
    In such a case the UPS gives us up to 5 minutes, so its important to know immediately if the powersource is gone and UPS jumped in, form my experience it is best practise to have a indicator light directly mounted beside the monitors that's simply powered from before the UPS. If is goes off you know you have about 5 Minutes.

Regarding uplink, we are lucky not having to use cell network for now, instead we use more or less cheap satellite uplink (KA band internet) that worked very well so far.
    This year event was done with 4MBit upstream for friday 12.5 hours, saturday 17 hours and sunday 9 hours livetime without any big problem (beside something like changing generators)

So no worry, you only have to invest in a good UPS (what is recomended anyway) and addtionally in at least one but better two generators. (I also would always go for Honda Inverter generators they are whisper silent and very very reliable). Regarding overall power, you should always calculate with a 100% safety margin, so if all of your gear is taking 1000W then you should go with a 2000kW UPS and a 2kW generator.

best regards,
    Walter
    Last edited by Labmaster; 09-26-2013 at 01:32 AM.
    TC8000 / TW850
    Cables: Belden 1694/Canara Connectors
    Cams: Sony PWM-EX3, Sony HDR-CX430/BMD HDMI2SDI