Thread: Video formats supported

3D Technology Strategist Animapper's Avatar

Video formats supported

Hi Folks,

I have been looking for a resource to find out what kind of files are supported for video mapping to a surface plane in LW. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

The codec list is pretty limited. Most people convert the video to an image sequence.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Thanks - I ended up using WMV which works great. It would be good for them to start supporting MP4 and .H264 for space reasons alone.
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

btw, the videos that had to play on this rotating cube were given to me in a finished format that was compressed to .H264 MP4. I had no access to the stills. This should be addressed by the lightwave group. It's only going to happen more often now.

Ciao,
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

The codecs are only limited to what you have installed, and the fact that Quicktime is not available under 64-bit Windows. There are limitations with some codecs - for instance XVid requires that dimensions be divisible by 8 both ways (for good reason really). I use XViD and Lagarith mostly.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

you can use mp4 formats in 32 bit lightwave system.(as mentioned..depends if you got codecs installed properly)
    Install and use 32 bit system of lightwave, since the quicktime support is not availble from apple on 64 ...still.
    so once you use the 32 bit system of lightwave, download a youtube sample in mp4 format, but rename it to mov format, lighwave will not recognize mp4 but mov format..and it should mostly be able to
    play that anyway, so you shouldnīt even need to convert it.

otherwise if you have conversion tools, convert to mov format or png image sequences I would say.
    Another reason to prefer 32 bit system, that is dealing with export of preview animations in mov format rather than the avi formats and codecs, the quicktime/animation setting give better output.
    But that is for previewing generally, for final stuff..go with final rendering to tga or other image sequence formats and compose in after effects for example.

Edited...ps...I would not use wmv, think it has to lowsy compression with artifacts etc.

Michael

I hear ya Ben. Divisible by 8 has always been the best choice for efficiency in decoding. I was fortunate to work with the Cleaner team in the 90's when all this was getting sorted out. Perhaps we could put together a list of all the codecs that do work in Lightwave and post it here.

Ciao,
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist