Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defiance-Not my cup of tea strangely!

The structurally incorrect Gateway Arch from St. Louis bothered me.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

I detest the cheap *** alien ships they put in orbit for the (also the opening of the show)pilot.
    A bunch of low rez looking crap.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    I detest the cheap *** alien ships they put in orbit for the (also the opening of the show)pilot.
    A bunch of low rez looking crap.
    Actually..I didnīt think those were too bad, in outer atmosphere and space shots I think they did a better level of quality work..compared to earth environments.
    Itīs probably easier to use lightwave solely for those out of earth scenes since Lightwave often produces such good space scenes by history, but of course ...it is dependent on the artist being well aquainted
    with the tools and rendering techniques inside of lightwave to do that, since Lightwave has a good track record of such shots..there are undoubtly artist knowing how to acheive that.

Earth environmental scenes I would say are more challenging, and also especially when carrying through concepts of a changed earth world we havenīt seen before...in this case they seemed to have worked
    with both lightwave and vue to best get the job done accordingly to the concepts, but with a highly mixed quality result.

To me it seems that the team behind it undoubtly were in need to produce shots in a fast pace to be able to cope with the show, and that in the end shows...I can only speculate that vue backgrounds are thrown in to deliver skies fast..
    and without actually setting them up from scratch or even bother to rework preset skies and clouds, so they end up with half decent backdrops regarding clouds, and atmospherics looking very distinct as a.."I can tell this is a vue sky render miles away."

I can understand the issue of production budget and time ..there might not have been any time to polish and polish the scenes to perfection...but if not that comes at a cost of how the end result looks.
    Ive heard and seen a lot from the siggraph presentation, on how important it has been with production tools that doesnīt require to advance and complex time consuming processes, and fair enough I agree with that sort of, but
    I think that must be seen in relation to the team and the artists working within that process, they must have a talent to retain quality in the artwork Even if the time is limited.

Maybe it simply can be summed up that the balance between the amount of time the artist should have put in to the work in relation to the budget and quality wasnīt enough?
    It would be interesting to see initial art concepts,storyboards of the show ..simply to get an idea if it could have been at the stage of concept art it wasnt that good, or if the vfx matte artists didnīt carry the concept art through properly.

So from my point of view I didnīt fancy the Looks of the show, neither for character design, photo cinematic, nor environment matte.
    Apart from that, the showīs character personality, dialog..and the story itself, felt very mediocer so to speak.
    Im having a hard time accepthing dialog and characters in scenes talking about other alien races...like, oh didnīt you know ..heīs a votan, or he is a frizz..or something else we simply cantīt relate too or have no clue to how they might look or behave etc, dialog saying that he is a swede...or Italian, or Irish, that says it all since we most likely know about related behaviour etc.
    it is just utterly confusing and doesnīt help the viewer to follow the story with interest.

In such cases with multiple unknown races and culture, I would say you need to introduce the races delicatly and maybe within seperate episoded where we get an insight of that culture how the race looks and behave etc.
    I think babylon 5 managed to do that in a much better way.
    Presenting a show with only two or a few more races initially, would keep a conflict more easy to follow and would allow a series to be prolonged with introduction of other races and more exciting conflicts during the development
    of the series, rather than a mish mash of multi cultures that you canīt grasp in the pilot episodes.

Michael

The show is like teranova. If you can survive up to episode 6 of defiance it gets better. No where as good as game of thrones or walking dead but its not the worst out there.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    The show is like teranova. If you can survive up to episode 6 of defiance it gets better. No where as good as game of thrones or walking dead but its not the worst out there.
    Iīm not looking for the worst out there looking for the better ones...Oh well, good to hear it might get better, I will check the next episode..but it better get interesting or show something better, other wise I will spend my time
    more wisely.

Michael

If you can finish it up to the end maybe its not so much a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by dsol View Post
    It's been a long time since a new Sci-fi show really got my atttention. Most of the ones out there seem to suffer from a serious lack of imagination
    Have you tried Continuum?

Defiance is like a lot of recent sci-fi shows. It starts with a big(ish) budget pilot episode followed quickly by a string of ho-hum 'did anything really worth watching actually happen' episodes before picking things up in the final two or three episodes to finish on the big season finale cliff-hanger. A really good, or should that be bad ?, example of this is 'Under the Dome'. I only watched the first episode and the final three episodes and missed out on absolutely nothing except maybe several hours of wince worthy storylines and dreadful acting.

Stargate Universe suffered from BSG syndrome, i.e. everything and everybody had to be doom and gloom laden. If anyone showed signs of becoming happy you just knew something dreadful would happen very soon to wipe the smiles off their faces. It also suffered from the 'I've got a secret that I shouldn't be keeping but must otherwise there isn't any plot left' syndrome that has also been dogging a lot of sci-fi (and other genre) shows in recent times.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Stargate Universe suffered from BSG syndrome, i.e. everything and everybody had to be doom and gloom laden. If anyone showed signs of becoming happy you just knew something dreadful would happen very soon to wipe the smiles off their faces. It also suffered from the 'I've got a secret that I shouldn't be keeping but must otherwise there isn't any plot left' syndrome that has also been dogging a lot of sci-fi (and other genre) shows in recent times.
    Exactly. The earmarks of the SG universe is that it's a bit goofy. No goofiness in SG:U.

Once they divorced themselves from Earth (SG:A and SG:U), the shows got a lot less interesting, but at least SG:A still had fun and silliness. SG:U had too many crew from BSG. (That is, production crew, not cast.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

But I liked SGU because when I wear my reading glasses I look like Dr Rush...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yeah, and I look like Mitch Pileggi, but that's not enough reason to watch a show.

+++
    I'd like a show that DOESN'T involve an apocalypse in any way/shape/form, just a futurescape that is interesting, illuminates current issues, and has witty banter.

Apparently, that's a lot to ask.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 09-18-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I'd like a show that DOESN'T involve an apocalypse in any way/shape/form, just a futurescape that is interesting, illuminates current issues, and has witty banter.

Apparently, that's a lot to ask.
    Continuum pretty managed to achieve that during its first season, not so much in the second where it started to wander off in all sorts of directions and started to take itself far too seriously.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Well, there is always Star Trek TNG on BBC America...in fact it's on right now.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    Continuum pretty managed to achieve that during its first season, not so much in the second where it started to wander off in all sorts of directions and started to take itself far too seriously.
    I've heard good things about it, but the one time I tuned in, got lost.

I wish Bruce Sterling would create a world that TV writers could have a go at: imo the Shaper/Mechanist universe was one of the great feats of SF world-building.

Did you ever see "Charlie Jade"? It's far from perfect, but it was quite an original and interesting sci-fi show. Only lasted one season sadly.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Jade
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast