Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defiance-Not my cup of tea strangely!

Defiance-Not my cup of tea strangely!

Have seen the two pilot episodes, since I am a scifi fan and a lot of it being Lightwave effects and vue etc...It was interesting to see what the fuzz is about.

Sadly the initial pilotīs didnīt bring any excitment to me, I couldnīt get a good interest in the Story ..which is the most important factor, I couldnīt find any charm in the characters, I couldnt see any
    cool editing or something in the photo that was something special.

The visual effects...had expected something more I guess, didnīt see any spectacular about it really, at least not in these two pilot episodes, very recognizable vue backgrounds, and clouds not really
    worked on to look as good as they should, typical settings for spectral atmosphere and clouds showing to much of procedural puff syndrome.

General environments didnīt impress me either, canīt say for sure what it was..but it didnīt look aestheticly good..from my point of view, must have been hard though since it has to follow the surrounding
    story and setīs in a logical way for that environment.

I might give It a fast glance at it next time...but that is the last chance before I decide to spend my time better on other stuff.
    You never can tell, but I donīt think this series will last long with good viewer rates here in sweden.

Michael

It just looked like a cheap mashup of Serenity and Terra Nova to me. It's been a long time since a new Sci-fi show really got my atttention. Most of the ones out there seem to suffer from a serious lack of imagination
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by dsol View Post
    It just looked like a cheap mashup of Serenity and Terra Nova to me. It's been a long time since a new Sci-fi show really got my atttention. Most of the ones out there seem to suffer from a serious lack of imagination
    yeah exactly..agree on that.

Maybe the art direction wasnīt that extra ordinary when making concept environmental desing for this show? and that shines through...that might impact the general overal look of visual effect together, even though
    technicly it might have been challenging and some parts have been delt with fast and nicely.

I do think they get Rob Powers vote for the Emmy nominations...referencing to the siggraph presentation.
    I donīt know about the competition for it..except for Battlestar galactica blood and chrome, which I havenīt seen.

Michael

I think the story and characterization improved as the episodes of the first season played out, though at times it seemed like they only fleshed out characters in order to build emotional attachment (good or bad) right before killing them off -- for spoiler reasons, I'll avoid specifics. Still, watched the whole season with interest, whereas I gave up on Terra Nova after the first few episodes (and even by then was hoping the entire cast would be eaten by rabid badgers, ideally along with the colorist).

I definitely get what you mean about the environments, the wide shots (esp. in the title sequence) had a very "generic Vue ecosystem output" feel to them. The title sequence also had some really poor environmental comp work, where CG areas had wildly different lighting than real. Also, yes, the skies were clearly not receiving much money/attention -- I'm not sure that mattered in most cases, though in a few specific cases I do agree better skies would have greatly improved the overall vfx. Still, overall, I didn't find the matte and vfx work as disruptive as you did, it seems. I was certainly willing to overlook it in many cases, though I found the "lower mines" shots very cringe-inducing in most cases. That greatly reduced the visual impact of the season finale for me as a result, but that's one of the very few cases where I found the CG stuff disruptive (the less-than-explosive "explosion" towards the end of the pilot was the other biggie for me -- reminded me much too much of the tornado in 'The Wizard of Oz", kept waiting for a witch on a bicycle to pedal by cackling among the flying alien wreckage).

Anyone know if Sci-Fi officially cancelled it, or renewed it for another season? Probably replaced it with another stupid reality show by now, just one of the many reasons I've all but stopped watching Sci-Fi or SyFy or whatever they're calling themselves this week. I'd suggest shoving a shark up their programming head honcho, but judging by the programming, they'd probably enjoy, film, and schedule it for a six-episode run.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Defiance is ok. Nothing award winning, but watchable. I just don't like that some of the show's content really gives that "it happens because its in the script" feel to it that I don't like. I really couldn't care less how much attention they put into the visuals, they serve their purpose for the show.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Anyone know if Sci-Fi officially cancelled it, or renewed it for another season? Probably replaced it with another stupid reality show by now, just one of the many reasons I've all but stopped watching Sci-Fi or SyFy or whatever they're calling themselves this week. I'd suggest shoving a shark up their programming head honcho, but judging by the programming, they'd probably enjoy, film, and schedule it for a six-episode run.
    What cranks me off about those clowns is they'll kill Eureka and Warehouse 13, only to put on some junk like TN, Def and more reality crap. In the case of WH13, it appears that Def was chosen over WH13 because of a supposed link between the show and the game and that looked like a better return on investment to NBCUniversal suits.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    It has been renewed for a second season.
    Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    Defiance is ok. Nothing award winning, but watchable. I just don't like that some of the show's content really gives that "it happens because its in the script" feel to it that I don't like. I really couldn't care less how much attention they put into the visuals, they serve their purpose for the show.
    I agree. My wife and I enjoy watching and the show HAS gotten better as the season progressed. Watching the trailers I really was NOT interested at all, but I tend to give shows the benefit of the doubt to see how they work out. I think Defiance is improving and is definitely watchable - though obviously not everyones cup of tea. Then again, we also enjoyed Terranova.

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    What cranks me off about those clowns is they'll kill Eureka and Warehouse 13, only to put on some junk like TN, Def and more reality crap. In the case of WH13, it appears that Def was chosen over WH13 because of a supposed link between the show and the game and that looked like a better return on investment to NBCUniversal suits.
    That really sucks. We liked both of those shows. Though in reality, we have been watching less and less "Syfy" this year BECAUSE of the reality crap - which is apparently MUCH cheaper to produce. We'd rather watch the looney "Syfy Saturday night shlock flicks" than this reality stuff. Quite sad.

I liked WH13 but felt it had run its course. Pete used to be the funny guy but now Claudia gets all the good lines. Jinx is pointless. They have all but jumped the shark.

Similarly EUREKA was rebooted TWICE!!! They had run out of ideas. It's sad but it happens.

DEFIANCE needs better writing. The effect are fine. The art direction overall is really good.

I'd rather see X FILES, MILLENIUM, SUPERNATURAL re-runs rather than wrestling though. And why is STNG on BBC?

Defiance is okay, sad to see the girl go though. She seemed under used in the show really.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Is that a spoiler, cress? Or just someone deciding not to do the second series?
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

TV series which are eye-catching at the beginning are not legion. But here we are still above the J.J. Abrams productions or kind Falling Skies. The game is not sensational, but we see that there is work behind the series-game concept. Resume Battlestar pilote and look at how far the series has been. I think Defiance deserves his chance.

I thought the series was as exciting as the game, which is, dull as a pile of bricks.

And what happened to writing in SciFi? When we have story arcs like Deep Space 9 and dialog as in Firefly as benchmarks, they really need to do better than Defiance's cliched stories and characters no more interesting than the airheads from Jersey Shore. Seriously these characters where so 2 dimensional it was painful to watch.

As for VFX, the vista's and mattes where well done (keying is also very nicely done), but the large scale battles felt no better than someone screencasting the MMO and then adding some flares and grading (no offence to he people who most likely worked their butts of on this show.)

I mean, i just rewatched some episodes of Star Gate Universe, and man, those vfx and cg characters are done REALLY well.

Not sure what my point is, but i think most of it can be written down to catering to the lowest common denominator.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Oddity View Post
    I mean, i just rewatched some episodes of Star Gate Universe, and man, those vfx and cg characters are done REALLY well.
    And yet the show was deadly dull. It lacked the signature fun of the SG franchise.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

True, it certainly had its up and downs, and it's a shame that by the time the show picked up most of the slack, it was already on the chopping block.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast