Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant Factory now shipping-from e-onsoftware.

Blog Entries
    Insanely expensive first thought . after that i don't really care much for it, I could be wrong . My 3rd thought is will they start breaking Vue X and inf.and force people to buy this so they can customize and create plants in those apps. I was thinking of picking up Vue Complete. But now wounder how broken things will get over at e-onsoftware. They seem to just be stripping items out of their core program and repackaging it.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Quote Originally Posted by calilifestyle View Post
    Insanely expensive first thought . after that i don't really care much for it, I could be wrong . My 3rd thought is will they start breaking Vue X and inf.and force people to buy this so they can customize and create plants in those apps. I was thinking of picking up Vue Complete. But now wounder how broken things will get over at e-onsoftware. They seem to just be stripping items out of their core program and repackaging it.
    The only other comparable product would bee speedtree cinema(4995$), That is an insanely price ...way beyond what plant factory will cost(1495$), so just picking the most advanced version of plant studio will be much cheaper, then you got all the other lighter versions which are considerably cheeper, studio for 995$, designer 495$f and plant factory artist for 199$.
    some additional cost for maintanace service etc.

I think you are wrong about the statement of e-on seemingly just stripping items out of the core program and repacking, plant factory has never been in vue, Itīs a completly new plant generator, carbon scatter is additional ecosystem designed to enhance other software with vegetation specificly for those just in need of that, and e-on is still developing new great stuff it seems in every vue version.

The negative stuff I hear about e-on is the way licensing is handled, and raised pricing etc and some guys not finding vue-xstream production worthy with lightwave, but some do find it worthy(Rob Powers)

Michael

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    I was going to go for this when it was in beta for cheap, but was put off by their EULA. (which I cant find right now, but I remember it being unworkable)
    No export to other programs was a killer for me.
    I found vueXstream to be unusable too, and abandoned it altogether in favor of zbrush->decimate->lightwave for anything close up enough to need it, and xfrog for anything else
    An interesting alternative for me was creation platform's flora, though I have never seen this working.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranimatronic View Post
    I was going to go for this when it was in beta for cheap, but was put off by their EULA. (which I cant find right now, but I remember it being unworkable)
    No export to other programs was a killer for me.
    I found vueXstream to be unusable too, and abandoned it altogether in favor of zbrush->decimate->lightwave for anything close up enough to need it, and xfrog for anything else
    An interesting alternative for me was creation platform's flora, though I have never seen this working.
    I havenīt read their EULA, might be so that they have formed it badly.

VueXstream unusable? I think not, loads of things you can do with it that other software donīt come close to, but that depends on what made it unusable for you..you donīt say what perticular area you find it unusable for?

Rob Powers has given his +1 for vuexstream and lightwave..especially when working with Avatar..and The defiance series and the team behind that seem to have used it, Kelly Myers I think have given his minus for it during the production of Iron sky I think..but I canīt say for sure.

Michael

It was the rendertimes that I couldnt work with using xstream. It killed all 'flow' in my workflow. This was years ago now, but the bad feeling never left
    I have met others that hated it over the years, others that love it too.
    It seems to be one of those softwares that it is easy to get wrong.
    We use terragen at work now, which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend

It was the rendertimes that I couldnt work with using xstream. It killed all 'flow' in my workflow. This was years ago now, but the bad feeling never left
    I have met others that hated it over the years, others that love it too.
    It seems to be one of those softwares that it is easy to get wrong.
    We use terragen at work now, which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend
    Uhh..terragen...it isnīt even workable with the new release said to be speed improved on the previewer, which is about 20 times slower than vue previewer..or something like that.
    vue is quite fast considering the complex algorithms for describing the atmospherics and volumetrics, if you just use standard atmosphere model it will come closer to lightwave and also more look like it ..since lightwave
    doesnīt have such complex volumetric system for atmospheric.

You also have to be aware of and understand AA quality settings, and need to know what spectral cloud model is the slowest etc, infinite procedural is render clogger...but we donīt have any similar in lighwave anyway, s o you canīt
    compare.

Terragen vs..vue, Id go for Vue for speed and features and user experience..Anytime.
    I do however find terragen renders quite nice if made by some of the masters, But I think if aiming to be a master of vue ...that will also show in almost equally nice ones.

Depending on atmosphere spectral layers, terrain model type and quality settings, I think renders could turn up like 45 minutes or 1 hours 30 minutes in vue, almost same size of image with hv volumetrics
    and volumetric god rays in lightwave, pull in instances and even lower quality terrains, and you will be up there too in render times, and that with lesser realism.
    But honestly it is too difficult to compare, since the two software uses completly different approaches for environment stuff.

instances have made lightwave more attractive to use for environmental work, and also using zbrush, It still has a lot left to catch up on with volumetrics and environment atmospherics.

Michael

"Terragen vs..vue"
    $699 vs $1995 is my biggest obstacle in re-looking at Vue.

I tried to find more on the PlantFactory EULA, but it seems the posts about it are now missing from their website. Google has snippets, but it appears all links now lead back to plantFactory's main page.
    Id be interested to hear if you go for this and what you make of it. It really LOOKS nice, but it doesnt work for me if I can't export into Lightwave or Maya.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    It still has a lot left to catch up on with volumetrics and environment atmospherics.
    l
    Agreed, and point taken

Agreed, and point taken

They should do everything they could to get hold of ogo taiki(not production friendly today,but promising), if possible and develop that, speed enhancements, better ui, and more easier setup of sky/spectral model and it will be closer to a good tool for environments, add vertex mesh edit in layout for terrain editing and some trees and it is getting closer, as it is now though...introducing instances is just a small step, e-on is advancing Even much more than Lw can catch up in terms of environment creation.

Plant factor purchase?, I just wanted to share the news, and find it interesting and cool..but, unless I get a full time job or a lottery win, I have other priorities before going there, including 3d printers, additional software like modo,cinema..or focus on Lw 12 release ..depending on wich one of those are matching my future road map, Getting vue xstream and plant factory would be secondary or third priorities I guess.
    I might be able to afford the cheapest versions of plant factory, but I need to get feedback on those, and how much differs from the other versions etc.

Michael

I find one tends to use the same trees over and over & generally make them do. I made the Gymea Lily & all others from scratch. A lot of software is near impossible once you are outside it's boundary.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic46.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	344.1 KB 
ID:	117060  
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    I find one tends to use the same trees over and over & generally make them do. I made the Gymea Lily & all others from scratch. A lot of software is near impossible once you are outside it's boundary.
    I think that using free premade or buying xfrog commercial models would do fine, and even modeling your own, maybe with help of dpont_verdure or tree designer..that will probably be enough for many folks up to letīs say 85% maybe.
    But that said, beeing able to freeform trees exactly as you want them by drawing and manipulate them in the way plant factory and speed tree does might be extremly valuable for some people, since it offers a much faster approach
    to get it done, and as you want them, speed tree cinema also offers dynamics and dynamic interaction for those who requires some falling or breaking trees like in avatar.

I donīt know if plant factory offers such advanced dynamics like speedtree? I think it only has wind effectors. so the pricing of speedtree cinema might have something to do with speedtree offering that type of dynamics no other
    software does?

I figure most guys in here would use trees for archviz or stills, some fewer might need it for environments in animations, and even fewer would really have the need for dynamic trees reacting to hard body impacts etc.

Michael

http://algorithmicbotany.org/TreeSketch/
    this looks awesome, though I have a vague recollection it was difficult to export.
    I think there was a thread here about it a while back. Now version 3. Great if you have an ipad.

http://algorithmicbotany.org/TreeSketch/
    this looks awesome, though I have a vague recollection it was difficult to export.
    I think there was a thread here about it a while back. Now version 3. Great if you have an ipad.
    Uhmm---windows version please, donīt want to have to buy Ipad for getting acess to it.

Heres one guy testing the Ipad and lw pipeline.
    http://www.artstorm.net/journal/2011...-lightwave-3d/

Newbie Member
    Was funny seeing this thread I have recently been playing with version 3 of treesketch its a nice little app. Export is now in FBX and OBJ, textures are output at 2048 or lower.
    Also has 2D vector formats and export can now be done via iTunes or DropBox.
    Apparently the textures can be upgraded for those needing via an external website.
    Very simple to use and a great little scene filler for backgrounds etc.
    Lightwave 11.6.3 + NevronMotion
    i9001 running Win40k w/42Gb RAM and built in HAL drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast