Thread: Thinking of purchasing SpeedEDIT this week

Thinking of purchasing SpeedEDIT this week

Actually, I have been thinking of it for quite some time now -- but the very high cost as compared to other solutions has slowed me down. But, if I'm going to do it it's going to be now. My use would be editing footage shot with Canon DSLR cameras, with final output to be 720p for the Web. The typical video would be five minutes in length in final form. Occasionally, I might produce something longer. Often, it will be shorter.

I'm doing this job now with Final Cut Pro X with few complaints, but I think I might enjoy working with SpeedEDIT. I have been a NewTek fan since the days of the original Video Toaster and Flyer. The decision to buy need not be purely rational -- but I don't want to have big regrets.

So how well does SpeedEDIT work with H.264 footage shot with the Canon DSLRs such as my 5D Mark III and 7D? Any problems to note, or does the presently shipping SE do the job well? If I go through with this, it will be based solely on what the application does now, as it seems development has been kind of slow and may or may not be stalled. (I have no idea, but it would be nice to learn that SE is not forgotten.)

Thanks!

Canon DSLR footage from my 7D works fine.
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

Blog Entries
    SE is a fantastic tool for what it does, but just remember that it's not all things to all men. If you're going to need to do compositing, then don't expect that from SE. Even basic things like blending modes and masking tools aren't available in it. However, if you're having trouble with a particular file format,it's easy enough to convert it to a SpeedHQ file format in any resolution you like in order to create proxy files to work with.

And finally, you'll need a Windows PC to use it

Thanks, Pete and Shabazzy. I have Windows 7 up and running via Boot Camp with my new iMac 27.

I appreciate the feedback and honest assessment of what SE does and does not do. Going in with my eyes open.... and I ordered SE 2.5 from Safe Harbor, so hopefully I will have the software soon.

Blog Entries
    That's good to hear. And welcome to the club. Just remember that you have a great support network here at the forums, the guys (and gals?) here are very friendly and always willing to help.

It couldn't hurt to check out the newtektv site and watch the tutorials on how to use SpeedEDIT to get a brief primer on it.

Found Here

Just make sure you choose SpeedEDIT from the "Product" dropdown list in the navigation menu at the top of the page.

All the best

Shabazzy

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    That's good to hear. And welcome to the club. Just remember that you have a great support network here at the forums, the guys (and gals?) here are very friendly and always willing to help.

It couldn't hurt to check out the newtektv site and watch the tutorials on how to use SpeedEDIT to get a brief primer on it.

Found Here

Just make sure you choose SpeedEDIT from the "Product" dropdown list in the navigation menu at the top of the page.

All the best

Shabazzy
    Hi, I got speed edit, and still new to this stuff mind you.

But I tried editting a show we did into a 2 min clip.

It crashes 3 times doing it and I left it to someone else to edit in Final Cut Pro.

I did an editing before just down convert the resolution and things like that and it worked fine.

This is the first time we tried to edit bits out, take out the audio and insert new ones in, but keep on failing on us.

Please help if you can.

Oh and the file we are trying to edit is a 60GB file and might not have enough RAM, and possibly that caused it to crash. Not sure. But we have pleanty of hard drive memory so that part arent the issue.

Thanks for any feed back..

Moris

Quote Originally Posted by j4k50n View Post
    Hi, I got speed edit, and still new to this stuff mind you.

But I tried editing a show we did into a 2 min clip.

It crashes 3 times doing it and I left it to someone else to edit in Final Cut Pro.Moris
    Have you looked into Edius 6 (Grass Valley) or Edius 7? I heard they'll take just about any file format. Also stable as a rock.
    former Chattanooga State graphics program student.

youtube videos that show the power of NewTek products:
    http://youtu.be/W5uUzLSttdo
    http://youtu.be/PXqmTZMtAj8
    http:/youtu.be/6voXVZjzGXQ

i'm about half way through the SE tutorials posted by newtek in the youtube newtek inc. channel, i'm feelin speededit is a pretty neat editor.

Multimedia Magician
    I would just like to say that I really like speed Edit 2. The interface is terrific, and editing is super easy.

iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA