Thread: Alembic import issues

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar

Alembic import issues

I'm trying to load an alembic hierarchy (created and exported from Maya (one file, multiple meshes)) and Chronosculpt only seems to show the last item from the file (not the whole hierarchy)
    Anyone else having these issues ?

I believe Chronosculpt is designed to only handle one object file at a time when importing. I would export each object in your maya scene separately as an .abc file.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give that a try.
    It is kind of lame though. At work, we are passing hierarchies between Maya and 3dStudio using Alembic. On it's way back into Maya you specify the root node and Alembic handles the rest.
    From what you said, it sounds like Chronosculpt doesn't fully support the Alembic file format (which kind of kills it for me using it professionally)
    How do I add this as a feature request ?

EDIT
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....lembic-support
    oh- it's already there
    Last edited by Tranimatronic; 09-07-2013 at 11:23 AM.

yeah I made a request too, so I think LW group got the message by now lol. It does slow things down not being able to import multiple selections or an entire scene and bring it into CS.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

It's really important that you guys have solid Alembic support. I am not talking about splines and stuff, but basics like moving transforms, nested hierarchies, multiple meshes, cameras would be nice... But I wouldn't consider them the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.evans View Post
    It's really important that you guys have solid Alembic support. I am not talking about splines and stuff, but basics like moving transforms, nested hierarchies, multiple meshes, cameras would be nice... But I wouldn't consider them the basics.
    No, not the basics. . . .just to state the obvious because that's what I do: The purpose of having a universal format exchange between apps. is so that we don't have to jump through as many hoops. As simplistic as those hoops can be, it will slow things down exponentially for every object without being able to import multiple objects.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.evans View Post
    It's really important that you guys have solid Alembic support. I am not talking about splines and stuff, but basics like moving transforms, nested hierarchies, multiple meshes, cameras would be nice...
    And please keep the object attributes intact! For example if the abc file contains data for the material assignments (saved as custom data for the objects) than it should be retained in the process.

Cheers,
    Szabolcs

Is Chronosculpt (or LW) using Alembic 1.5?

Will Chronosculpt ever support particles? I see that the Exocortex Alembic maya plugin importer supports particle caches since Alembic 1.0. It would be pretty great to have Chronosculpt be able to work with particle data also.

http://vimeo.com/41146792
    Last edited by kfinla; 10-17-2013 at 08:40 PM.