Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble exporting Morphs from Daz 4.6

Trouble exporting Morphs from Daz 4.6

I posted this at the end of a old thread on Daz. I thought it might get lost in the shuffle so starting a new post...

Anybody tried to load a FBX Daz char into Lightwave with head morphs lately?

I'm using Lightwave 11.5.1 and the latest version of Daz Studio 4.6. I'm loading a basic Genesis character, adding '0 head Export' to the morph export rules and exporting a FBX. (see enclosed). Daz is definately exporting the morphs, I can see them in the export log. When I try to load the FBX into Modeler or Layout it crashes. I can export animations, meshes, textures fine but the Morphs are crashing Lightwave.

I know it used to work, I've done it in the past but it's been a year or so since I tried.

P.S. the image shows FBX 2011, but I've tried FBX 2012 as well...same deal

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dazexport.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	437.6 KB 
ID:	116617

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    having same problem getting morphs to come into LW 11.6 from Daz 4.6.
    This use to be easy but something may have changed that I can't find.
    Used all ver of FBX export and always no morphs in Lightwave.

Any help out there?
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

The Daz to Poser Pro 2012 via DSON then on to Lightwave 11.61 via the Fusion plug-in is working swimmingly. Not using the FBX route though.

Perhaps there's an easier workflow?

Hmmm.
    Now tried OBJ and Collada with no luck....Have Poser 2014 so will give that a try. This use to work straight over before cuz I still have some older FBXs from daz that DO have the Morphs attached.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

I haven't updated to 2014 yet but oddly enough by picking at this Poser to LW scab enough, it forced me into dabbing my toe into some other aspects that of course now makes me wonder why I avoided it so long.

With the Poser scene imported, I found that I can go through the process of motion baking. Wasn't sure if that would work with imported stuff, but it does quite well. I then apply the MDD reader (leave, but turn off the Poser and MD Baker plugs under Deform), use the option of giving the MDD a new name as well as writing out an LWO file, and bang it's done. One bug is if the cache folder doesn't exist in the pointed to folder, it simply writes nothing and neglects to mention that to you.

It's still referring back to textures where the original character started (DAZ folder somewhere for the most part) BUT... You now have animated geometry that Motion Blur respects. This was a bug using just the imported .pz3 file in that setting the camera's motion blur to anything below 100% abruptly cut off the blurring when rendered. By baking out the motion, it gets around that.

And then there's flocking. Making big strides with that now too. Just have to learn how to tame & control the beasties now.

Did you ever figure out this issue? I encountered it yesterday and simply wouldn't rest until I found the answer. Are you using the Genesis model?

tried all thru FBX, there must be something that has or has not to be checked or something. Can't find it tho.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Quote Originally Posted by prospector View Post
    tried all thru FBX, there must be something that has or has not to be checked or something. Can't find it tho.
    just tested a simple genesis figure, did a face expression change, exported to fbx 2012 binary loaded to lightwave and it imported fine without crash and the morph is there..but

that was with daz studio pro 4.0 and lightwave 11.6.2 final build 32 bit windows 7.

how complex i the morph? and what type was it? and also l
    it could be a daz studio pro 4.6 thing...but try what I did, a simple face expression and export to 2012 binary and see what happens.

Edit, tested asci ...and it works to...

I would suggest you to download and install the 11.6 version...
    The 11.5 version was the most crashy unstable version of the recent lightwave versions, and 11.6 has texture uv maps fixed when importing from daz, which I believe in the 11.5 versions it was screwed up.

So I would think itīs either the lightwave 11.5 version, or it might be daz 4.6 version

and you can test this daz studio pro 4.0 version

If that works, it might be daz 4.6 pro causing the the issue..or something in your daz morphs causing it...If it on the other hand crashes, most likely a lightwave 11.5 issue.

check attached fbx file

And we work on windows not mac are we?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I had a problem with that not long ago. I looked at things and decided that saving a base obj and an obj with each of the morphs I wanted was quick and easy enough. I never did go back and try to get things to work, just loaded the base object to modeler and added each morph to it. Not a fix, but a not awful work around.

That file worked fine..from 4.0?
    I have found that you have to somehow list the morphs you want to transfer in the export panel but havent found tut showing just how to do it.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Quote Originally Posted by prospector View Post
    That file worked fine..from 4.0?
    I have found that you have to somehow list the morphs you want to transfer in the export panel but havent found tut showing just how to do it.
    yepp that wasdaz 4.0 I actually had a later version on my laptop 4.3 I think or something like that, and I think that worked too, but not suree, the latest 4.6 from daz I have been avoiding so far thanks to I heard some issues about it, Might
    have to install teh 4.6 on another machine and test to be sure.

I am just getting around to trying to export FBX from DS 4+, and loading morphs into LW 11.6. Particularly, I cannot figure out how to 'export all morphs' as they appear in the DS' Parameters window. Although I could easily export all morphs in DS v3.1.

DS v3.1 exports FBX with all morphs in a logical way, by setting the Morphs>Method to "Export." Or you can export only the applied morphs (with values other than 0) by setting the Morphs>Method to "Bake."

But in DS v4.6, the FBX Options- "Morph Export Rules" dont seem to have any documentation (?). And the default "Rule" value titled "final" does not seem editable (is it meant just as an example?).

If I 'Add' a new Morph 'Rule,' with 'Match' set to "Anything" (double-click to change name) and set the 'Action' to "Bake," it does not seem to export any applied morphs, since none of them show up in LW. So "Bake" does not seem to work, as it did in DS 3.1.

If I set a new Rule 'Match' to "Anything" and 'Action' set to "Export," then DS takes a very long time compiling a zillion morphs with names that do not even appear anywhere in Parameters nor the Export Options Staging dropdown ... I have no idea what all that is scrolling by, but is not practical to deal with. After eight minutes of waiting, I killed DS in the Task Manager. So exporting all morphs does not seem to work, as it does in DS3.1.

So to get all the morphs I want to export, it appears I have to Add a separate Rule for each word "Match" contained in the name of every morph I want to export, which is very inefficient. It really ought to list all associated morphs, and allow the user to 'shift+select,' and/or checkbox each morph to include/exclude. What's wrong with that?

And if I want to say export all the morphs for the "head," I see that in the FBX Export Options, under Staging dropdown, all the morphs applied to the head contain the word "head" in their names like "head.frown." Although those same morphs do not contain the word "head" in the Parameters window. But I would expect that I could add a Morph Export Rule with Match set to "head", but then none of the "head" morphs actually export. So the Match name must match words in the more specific morph names as they appear in the Parameters window instead, which means having to make a lot more rules.

Anyone know a better way to get the morphs you want to export from DS 4.6?
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 06-08-2014 at 04:01 AM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    If I set a new Rule 'Match' to "Anything" and 'Action' set to "Export," then DS takes a very long time compiling a zillion morphs with names that do not even appear anywhere in Parameters nor the Export Options Staging dropdown ... I have no idea what all that is scrolling by, but is not practical to deal with. After eight minutes of waiting, I killed DS in the Task Manager. So exporting all morphs does not seem to work, as it does in DS3.1.
    This is actually working, daz applies all morphs to the models for export one by one. It does need some time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    And if I want to say export all the morphs for the "head," I see that in the FBX Export Options, under Staging dropdown, all the morphs applied to the head contain the word "head" in their names like "head.frown." Although those same morphs do not contain the word "head" in the Parameters window. But I would expect that I could add a Morph Export Rule with Match set to "head", but then none of the "head" morphs actually export. So the Match name must match words in the more specific morph names as they appear in the Parameters window instead, which means having to make a lot more rules.
    This should actually work, see attached image for a list of rules I did use for exporting all morphs. You can set the Genesis prefix to bake if you only need the essential set of morphs.
    If you are not using the genesis base model, you have to look into the staging menu for the correct prefix.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export_rules.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	122227
    hope this helps
    chris

Since "Anything" is the Match word to export all morphs, I wonder what other useful magic words there might be (where are the instructions?). But what I meant by ‘all morphs’ was all the morphs displayed in the Parameter window, which is not that many.

But one mistake I was making was not realizing that the Match names are case sensitive.

For some reason, the default Rule cannot be removed and it is stuck to "Bake" & "Anything" so any active morphs are baked into the base mesh, regardless of other rules.

One problem is that it seems the Rules list is saved in a general config (I'm not familiar with how that works with Daz), since it does not save with the scene, and it remains the same even after re-opening Daz or loading other scenes. This stinks if I want to return to a previous Rules list after changing them, since I have to enter each one all over again.

Currently, I am testing the morph export with the old V3 figure for a particular project, but is exporting with the same effectiveness as Genesis.

But lets say I want to export only the morphs related to the head, that are displayed in the Parameters>Morphs window with the V3 head selected, which are just a few dozen morphs. I use a Morph Export Rule with Match = "head", Action = Export.

When I load this in LW, it takes several minutes, and Morph Mixer reads "410 Morphs." I dont know where all these "head" morphs came from since I never applied them to the V3 character, and they do not display in the Staging dropdown, nor anywhere in Daz Parameters>Morphs window, no matter what part of the figure is selected. Most of these 'extra' morphs do not work. But most of the morphs I wanted from the Daz Parameters window do work, although a few do not.

So, to export only the few dozen head morphs I want, I must enter ten different rules covering enough key words contained within the few dozen head morphs I want to export. That is not efficient, but it would help if I could at least enter all the keywords in a single rule at once, separated by commas (maybe there is some way to do this... instructions?). But if I delete or change the rules, and later I want to come back to this scene for export, I have to re-enter all ten rules again.

This is messy. Definitely needs "shift+select" function. Also should be able to save and load Morph Export Rules as presets.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 06-09-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast