Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Modeling Challenge #230- It takes Skills

Speed Modeling Challenge #230- It takes Skills

Rules:

1.Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2.Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
    3.LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
    4.You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
    5.Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
    6.The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: It takes Skills

Any object that takes some type of skill to utilize. Something that just can't be picked up by anyone and used properly or effectively without some type of experience. I will leave it open for interpretation instead of suggesting ideas.

Modeling time 120 minutes

Deadline: Wednesday August 28th, 2013 22:00 EST

This definitely needs skills to operate...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scalpel.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	116544

Name:	Scalpel Wires.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	116543

LW 11.6 - Modeled in 23 minutes, textured in 58 minutes.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Interesting subject Steve. I hope to have some time to enter this one.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Yes that certainly meets the brief, Pixeldust
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Something I have no skills with.
    An old model I did following some tutorial (one of William's maybe?), so disqualified.................

portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

I think this one also needs some skills modeling 27 mins. Texturing way longer :P the grass was done with the dp grass plugin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightwave logo copy.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	116562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightwave logowireframe copy.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	116563

That's good for 27 minutes, James!

Blog Entries
    I went for paper [origami] because I've folded close to 3000 paper cranes in this lifetime ...but epically failed to make ONE in LW!

I couldn't make it work starting off with a flat plane. No luck with bones in layout. Is there a way to group/ungroup polys?

Here's the LINK to the *.lwo file of my attempt to draw up the unfolded polys (not precision accurate) ...in case anyone might want to try folding one

Name:	crane01.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	116573
    Last edited by akaracquel; 08-23-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akaracquel View Post
    I couldn't make it work starting off with a flat plane. No luck with bones in layout. Is there a way to group/ungroup polys?
    Under the Detail Tab -> Create Parts. That's half of it. I don't know how to clear a part, though, short of reassigning a part's polygon's to another part...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Blog Entries
    hmm.. making a bit more progress from a flat plane today, made me realise there's extra folds missing in the *.lwo file above.
    Getting my head around Create Parts for tommoz, Thanks Kryslin.

Quote Originally Posted by akaracquel View Post
    hmm.. making a bit more progress from a flat plane today, made me realise there's extra folds missing in the *.lwo file above.
    Getting my head around Create Parts for tommoz, Thanks Kryslin.
    Truly a paper AND MIND bending rabbit hole!
    From a flat plane!!?? Are you folding sections completely flat?
    If so, doesn't that sorta defeat the purpose... you wont have the dimension of the actual folded piece.
    If you aren't folding completely flat, starting with the first compound fold (folding in a section that already is part of a fold) you're going to end up with some serious plane intersection problems. In order to avoid that, bends will have to have allowances built in to enable them to go around edges.... your flat plane just got incredibly more complex.

I can see a build as you go approach possibly working (i.e. extending edges or adding poly sections as you need them), or, of course, model the final state.
    But from a flat plane? I will be patiently awaiting your tutorial at the bottom of the rabbit hole, wide awake from many sleepless nights (thank you very much ) .

... from a flat plane... from a flat plane... from a flat plane... from a flat plane... from a flat plane...

----------

Sorry for the small hijack.
    Last edited by JoePoe; 08-24-2013 at 10:46 AM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Well, Axis Rotate should let you rotate sections along the lines, and create part should allow you to group polygons (which you can select from in the statistics panels...)

It'll be interesting.

I need to hit the-blueprints.com for my reference for my idea...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePoe View Post
    ... from a flat plane... from a flat plane... from a flat plane... from a flat plane... from a flat plane...
    ...i know ...i know ...i know

> In order to avoid that, bends will have to have allowances built in to enable them to go around edges.... your flat plane just got incredibly more complex.
    lol ...poly's started screaming "KISS!!!!!" when I tried... Will probably need to use digital calipers to nail it properly

Finally ...something half-plausible & within time Not perfect, managed to tackle all the folds today ..but it's just a double-sided flat plane (no thickness added) and I haven't been able to tackle the extra allowances needed for edge-folds etc ..yet Didn't fold completely flat to 180 degrees, points were moved around manually.

<sings> Chocolate CRANE! Some stay dry while others feel the {{PAIN!}} </sings>

Will post screen capture later on in the week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crane04.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	116591  
    Last edited by akaracquel; 08-24-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Good effort there akaracquel, but I can't help think it would be easier to model the finished crane, rather than all the bending?

Here's mine. You need mad skillz for this :-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    I can't help think it would be easier to model the finished crane, rather than all the bending?
    Reverse engineer a crane?! Do it …backwards?! Name:  ono.gif
Views: 205
Size:  1.5 KB No Way! ...but maybe I think it would be more difficult than winning a game of Ring Ross atm …but you can ask me again in 8 years time, after I've folded x1000 of them in LW!

Link to sped up screen capture here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast