Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steal my dongle, steal my heart!

3D Technology Strategist Animapper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    OK. Just to check, you installed LW from the installer on that machine and never renamed/relocated the folder afterwards? It might be worth reinstalling over the top in case nothing else works. The installer is the key link in the chain to get keyless operation running. You might also need to move/rename any LICENSE.KEY file out of the 11.5\licenses (or 11.5.1\licenses) folder.
    I just added an SSD as the boot drive to this box, installed a fresh brand new copy of everything (Win 8 Pro, LW 11.5, LWCAD 4.5) last Weekend so this was a fresh install. I'm heading out now but will report back tonight or first thing in the morning. Thanks again everybody.
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

Well everything is solved guys; Yehaw! It turns out the file being downloaded was a .key file. Upon redownloading it is was an LWK and all worked. What a strange series of events. The good news is I can work tomorrow. I swear that file didn't become an LWK extension until this evening seeing that I installed last weekend... just sayin' :-)
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Glad it's all sorted now.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

"Unfortunately if you have any plugins that were tied to the dongle you'll have to reach out to the developers to see if they've made a version that works with the newer license file."

The LWK file should mimic having the dongle installed even when it it's not; so any plugins you may have purchased that are tied to the dongle should still work.
    uh wha?

Quote Originally Posted by Skonk View Post
    "Unfortunately if you have any plugins that were tied to the dongle you'll have to reach out to the developers to see if they've made a version that works with the newer license file."

The LWK file should mimic having the dongle installed even when it it's not; so any plugins you may have purchased that are tied to the dongle should still work.
    Not entirely true. Some plugin developers bypassed the SDK hooks to call the dongle. Worley Labs, as an example, are using their own method of accessing the dongle, and as such, will not be compatible with the software licensing of LW. Thankfully, most third party devs are using the SDK hooks.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

How about LWCAD 4.5?
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Animapper View Post
    How about LWCAD 4.5?

No, that works dongle free with LWCAD 4.5 and LW11.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by Animapper View Post
    Hi Folks,

On Monday I noticed someone had taken a USB hub from my main 3D machine and it had my usb lightwave dongle. Poof! gone... I immediatly put a support ticket in to the Lightwave group asking to help me and get a new license file generated that wouldn't need the dongle anymore. I am current in my license and using 11.5.

Here I am 4 days later with multiple calls to Newtek (who said they couldn't help) along with follow up emails to three different people and I still have heard nothing. Does anyone have any ideas here? I am actually holding up a project right now because of this. You'd think that those of us who make a living with this software would have quicker response time when dealing with this kind of issue.

Newtek also told me that Lightwave group didn't have a phone to dial out and the only way of support was through email. As a Lightwave user for 15 years, this is something I never have experienced.

iFrustrated,
    Dean
    It took 4 days but we got it worked out and it turns out that the problem is Newtek still has the Lightwave Registration Database active on their site but the Lightwave 3D Group site has the CURRENT one. I must have had a bookmark that took me to the old site and I never noticed because my sign-in was the same on both sites - Yikes!

Duece called me this morning and explained everything. SO - spread the news that this could happen and until the transition is a bit older it wouldn't be obvious. Thanks to all who pitched in to help - Who'd a thunk this though? Newtek really needs to put a forward on anything Lightwave but it hasn't happened as of yet... I reposted this in a new thread to make sure more folks see this.

Regards,
    Dean
    Digital Illusionist

haha, the title of this thread is hilarious!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12