Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention archvis guys - the ray cast node is your friend.

Attention archvis guys - the ray cast node is your friend.

I've been messing around with the new ray cast node in 11.6 and I have discovered that it is very handy for placing items from my vast library of decorative home accessories onto tables and other furniture. I sure hate those floating accessories and this does the trick.

Should be handy for placing plants in landscaped areas too.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

I will have to investigate that since I'm in the process of doing some production tests for having Lightwave do most of my rendering again.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Raycast node is pretty awesome. Many pracital uses.

Yes it's handy but be sure you don't use it too often and then wonder why did scene slowdown . But good work DEVs, thanks.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Sounds interesting. However, I can't get Raycaster to work at all. Even the simple ground plane and sphere as demoed by Deuce at Siggraph isn't working for me. Yet the demo scenes work.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor View Post
    Sounds interesting. However, I can't get Raycaster to work at all. Even the simple ground plane and sphere as demoed by Deuce at Siggraph isn't working for me. Yet the demo scenes work.
    Make sure you move your geometry high above the plane before using the node. I found that if it was too close it didn't work correctly (some of the geometry was under the plane). Make sure your geometry is F3'd in Modeler (so lowest point is at 0,0,0) that helped me too.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Yep, all is correct.

I loaded the camshaft demo scene that comes with the new 11.6 content. Works fine! And I see no magic stuff going on except for the Raycast node.
    I clear the scene, load the camshaft object and apply Raycast, exactly how it was done in the demo scene. All is dead. Nothing happens.
    3D Generalist

Are you sure you're using 11.6? clean install?
    555Lab.com

HP Z800 Win 7 x64
    LW11.0.3 x64
    Bi-Quad Xeon E5530 2.40 GHZ
    16 cores Hyperthreaded
    20GB Ram
    Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 1.5GB / CUDA 192 cores
    Dual screen HP LP2475w

Yep, all is correct.

I loaded the camshaft demo scene that comes with the new 11.6 content. Works fine! And I see no magic stuff going on except for the Raycast node.
    I clear the scene, load the camshaft object and apply Raycast, exactly how it was done in the demo scene. All is dead. Nothing happens.
    Did you Doubleclicked on raycast node and told it which object to raycast to ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

I recorded a video just to be clear what I'm doing (and perhaps should be doing instead).
    Clean install. Absolutely positive it's 11.6, as you can see in the title bar on the video.
    It's still being processed, so it should be available in 1080p soon if you can't stand 720p.

As you can see, the demo scene works without a problem. Even with other objects than the one's that came with the demo scene. (Why shouldn't it, right?)
    However, going with a clean scene - no matter what object or how I set things up, nothing happens.

Perhaps a mod could split this topic and create a new one for my issues. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Snosrap!
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 08-07-2013 at 02:28 AM.
    3D Generalist

Try just connecting the Ray Cast node to the NodalMotion Position input. Double click on the RayCast node to set the object to raycast to, but don't connect the Input node.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I tried that prior to recording. Didn't change a thing.
    LW crashed on me, and I got it working on one scene, but not on the second. Is it recommended to restart LW between scenes with Raycast?
    3D Generalist

I tried that prior to recording. Didn't change a thing.
    LW crashed on me, and I got it working on one scene, but not on the second. Is it recommended to restart LW between scenes with Raycast?
    You may have a slightly older version that had some persistent data between sessions, that's been fixed already so the next update you get should be fine...

I recorded a video just to be clear what I'm doing (and perhaps should be doing instead).
    Clean install. Absolutely positive it's 11.6, as you can see in the title bar on the video.
    It's still being processed, so it should be available in 1080p soon if you can't stand 720p.

As you can see, the demo scene works without a problem. Even with other objects than the one's that came with the demo scene. (Why shouldn't it, right?)
    However, going with a clean scene - no matter what object or how I set things up, nothing happens.

Perhaps a mod could split this topic and create a new one for my issues. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Snosrap!
    As Ben says, don't connect the Input node's position up to the Raycast origin, the position is always in local space and usually you want to raycast in world space. The node is smart enough to figure out that you want to cast from the origin in the context of modifying motion.

Not sure why it isn't working , if you save your scene and reload, does it work then?
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Is it recommended to restart LW between scenes with Raycast?
    Yep, I noticed that as well. Seems kind of crashy too.
    Last edited by Snosrap; 08-07-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast