Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoZ Difficulty in LW to zBrush...just doesn't work!

GoZ Difficulty in LW to zBrush...just doesn't work!

I've followed the tutorial over and over that is done. However, it just doesn't work. Makes no sense.

Any suggestions. If one saves a mess in zBrush then ask to use GoZ there and it doesn't crash....maybe a file shows up in Lightwave 11.5.

Need help thanks

Saying "It just doesn't work" doesn't really help. How is is not working? Is it crashing when you send a mesh from LW to ZB, or vice-versa. Or is it not crashing, but clicking on on the GoZ button doesn't do anything?
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Thank you Dan for responding. Let me offer a detailed message. I am working on a Mac. As per the tutorial found on the lightwave page, https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/ar...ge-for-zbrush/, I followed this tutorial as it did in 11.5. I followed the instructions of LightWave 11.5 GoZ Interchange for Zbrush by Lino Grandi. I used a simple model of 96 polygons that I had created. In modeler, I clicked on the I/O tab on the top bar and then proceeded to click on GoZ attempting. The program acknowledged below on the lower bar that GoZ was clicked on. However, in the tutorial, when Gino clicks on the GoZ tab there is something that appears to the right of this. In my case I never saw anything like this. In the tutorial one saw the mesh he used appear in the zBrush program when the mouse was depressed and dragged. Further, you could see his mesh as part of the tool window. In my case, when I clicked on the GoZ button, no exchange was noted and nothing appeared in the drawing window in zBrush. Further, my mesh did not appear to replace what was the large "S".
    I am total confused why I can't duplicate this. I was using 4R6 which is their new rendition so I opened 4R5 to see if there was difference but it made no difference. I certainly need to figure out why this is isn't working properly as I'm in the middle of a major project. Thank you again for your time and consideration.

But in order to make GoZ working you need to setup GoZ on the Zbrush side as well. Did you do that?

This is what I did. Staying in line with Gino's approach, I opened 4R5 although I have 4R6. In the preference tab at top, I clicked on GoZ. It opened and I choose Lightwave Modeler. It opened and posed this question, "Several versions of Lightwave Modeler have been detected! Please select which version to use by clicking on the right location. Click on "Browse" to select a custom location, or on "Not installed' if it is not installed. In the box below it is written: /Applications/NewTek/LightWave3D11.5/Modeler.app" Beneath that is the word Browse... and Not installed. I clicked on the Browse button. It then directed me to the LightWave3D11.5 folder. I clicked on Modeler.app. Then that disappeared. I then went back to the scene in Lightwave11.5 Modeler and the .lwo was opened as previously described. Went through the same pateh 1/O>GoZ. I saw no change in the GoZ button. Then I went back to zBrush to see if the transfer had occurred. But, there was none. What would you suggest now?

Prior to all of this I tried to start from the "beginning" in the Preferences. I cleaned out the cache as they suggested. Then made the link to Modeler. I then took a simple box and tried to move that by pressing in zBrush GoZ. Instead of anything going to Lightwave the following on the zBrush canvas appeared: "FILE WRITE ERROR" Sorry, the disk space is critically low. Please clear more disk space (by emptying the trash, deleting files, etc.) and then click OK to resume"...
    When I saw this I was totally lost. What does that mean? And if I click on the "OK" button, nothing happens. I tried to empty the trash but nothing happened. I have to click on the upper right hand quarter and then scroll down to "Force Quit"...that's the only way I can close zBrush.

I hope this all makes sense. Right now I'm dead in the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Larry Seitz
    SunPower Kidz, LLC

Sorry, I don't know, this can be a mac issue. I work on windows.
    try to reset goz, read this at the bottom
    http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide...goz/about-goz/

I don't suppose you are using the FrameD plugin from DB&W? I had to uninstall it on LW as the Tiff loader it uses seems to be incompatible with LW's GoZ importer. Crashes it every time.

Did you save your object (in LW) before trying to send it to Zbrush? It won't work unless you do

incidentally, I just tested this again - making sure nothing had changed in LW11.6 (or Zbrush 4r6) - it's working fine for me. Here's some grabs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoZ_step1.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	116110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoZ_step2.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	583.0 KB 
ID:	116111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoZ_step3.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	116112

This is done on my Mac Pro running OSX 10.8.4

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    Sorry, I don't know, this can be a mac issue...
    It's not a mac issue, I think zooberite is just getting confused by wanting to save files straight away. In the ZB Tool palette to the right of the GoZ button there's another button "R" which opens your GoZ enabled apps so you use that when you want to make an active link to either LWM or Layout. That's when you're sending stuff out of ZB to LW or whatever. On the other side you use the GoZ button in Modeler - I/O/GoZ/Goz and that sends your quads to ZB as a tool which you then select in the S tab and draw/hit T (edit mode)/make polymesh 3D and off you go. Then you hit the Goz button in ZB to send the updated mesh to LW. Basically you don't need to save anything except the .lwo versions and or the ZBProject.

Gentleman, thank you all for your kind attention to my dilemma. I received a message from a zBrush tech and I attempted it. It unfortunately did not resolve the problem or the error message. Hopefully he can resolve this tomorrow. I"m enclosing his directions and my response. Any further input would be appreciated. Thank you again. Larry Seitz

He typed: The disk space being critically low more than likely indicates a permissions issue.

Please select the ZBrush 4R6 folder in the Finder and press CMD+I to get info.

At the bottom of the info window, click the lock to unlock permissions. You'll need to enter your admin password.

Next, select Everyone and assign the Read & Write permission. Then click the gear under the list and choose the option to apply to contained items. When done, just lock permissions again.

If Everyone already has Read & Write permission, change it to something else, apply to contained items, change it back and apply again.

You will also need to repeat these steps for the ZBrushData folder. In a Finder window, click the icon for your primary hard drive. You should see a list of folders including one for Users. Click Users, then Shared and finally select the ZBrushData folder. Get info on it as you did above for the ZBrush 4R6 folder. Assign Read & Write permission to the Everyone group for that folder and enclosed items.

This should resolve your issue.

(Gentleman's name)
    Pixologic Support

This was my response:
    Laurence M. Seitz
    President/Founder
    User
    Posted on: 05 August 2013 09:33 PM
    Please select the ZBrush 4R6 folder in the Finder and press CMD+I to get info.

(I did this)

At the bottom of the info window, click the lock to unlock permissions. You'll need to enter your admin password.

(I did this)

Next, select Everyone and assign the Read & Write permission. Then click the gear under the list and choose the option to apply to contained items. When done, just lock permissions again.

(I clicked on “Everyone” and the Read & Write Priviledge was clicked on. I then clicked the gear under the list. But the option was not “contained items”. In fact what came up said “Apply to Enclosed Items”. I chose that and I clicked on the lock again.)

If Everyone already has Read & Write permission, change it to something else, apply to contained items, change it back and apply again.

(At this point you lost me…You said to change Everyone to something else. I have no idea how to do that. It also says apply to contained items. Again I don’t know what this is. Then to change it back? What am I changing back?)

You will also need to repeat these steps for the ZBrushData folder. In a Finder window, click the icon for your primary hard drive. You should see a list of folders including one for Users. Click Users, then Shared and finally select the ZBrushData folder. Get info on it as you did above for the ZBrush 4R6 folder. Assign Read & Write permission to the Everyone group for that folder and enclosed items.

I then followed the same directions to open the ZbrushData folder. I did assign Read and Write permissions to the Everyone Name. I’m not sure what you mean by enclosed items. The only thing I noticed is that where the other folder had ‘server’ as the top word listed under Name, this instead had ‘laurenceseitz (Me).’)

This should resolve your issue.

Unfortunately, this did NOT resolve the problem. I then clicked on the big “S”. Chose a shape and then click on GoZ and that same warning showed up and I’ve described before. Something must have happened because one time when I was clicking on Goz in zBrush there was a flash of the modeler lightwave screen but never again.

I hope I’m making sense. This is becoming quite frustrating.
    By the way, as you did I was working now with LW 11.5 and 4R6 for zBrush.
    Thank you again for your help.

Larry Seitz
    Last edited by zooberite; 08-05-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Left out a word....

When you hit the GoZ button in ZBrush do you get this screen? I think too you need a bit more than the usual amount of RAM i.e. Lightwave and ZBrush running simultaneously will minimally use about 5-6 GB and with 3DCoat and PS open as well about 10 GB.

Thank you meshpig. Yes, I do get that scene as I hit the GoZ button in zBrush. I have 12 GB of ram and nothing else is open other than Lightwave Modeler/Hub and zBrush. I guess I have to wait from some reply from the technical gentleman at zBrush. I'm somewhat surprised that one of the technical people....even Gino haven't been alerted to this issue. I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. I am so appreciative of all who have tried and responded to me on this forum. However, I'm a little disappointed that nothing has happen directly from the Lightwave people. Perhaps it's more that I've left the discussion here rather than bring it to their attention? In any event, I really need to get going on this issue. Time is at a premium ... as always. LOL. Thank you again to all who have given their time to try and help. It should be interesting what solution solves this. By the way, somehow I attached the suffix .ZTL to a character done in Lightwave and tried to import it in zBrush and sure enough it did open and I was able to push the GoZ button in zBrush and it sent it to modeler but then zBrush locked up again even though it sent the file....we're getting closer...It must be one more step that's missing.

The last explanation that the tech person offered from zBrush made the change!...Changing all 6 privileges in the 2 folders to read and back to read and write did it.
    It's working with Lightwave 11.5 and zBrush 4R6.
    I have to learn all the issues with zBrush as to how to make the modeling changes. It think that will take the necessary time.
    One thing that was interesting was that as the Lightwave file had more layers that needed to be combined...I received the error message to save it...even though I did save it. One characters even had rigging and it didn't translate. So trying to take all rigging out and combining the layers into one...still have the same error message when I clicked on Goz on the bottom line...way down. Any explanation for that? I even saved it with a different name.
    Also I noticed the smoothness of sending doesn't necessary carry over. But for now I'll take it! I think zBrush is rougher looking....Well again, thanks all!
    Larry Seitz, SunPower Kidz, LLC.

Thank you so much for everything!

Larry Seitz

There is still one lingering issue. While in Z brush 4R6 I attempted to transfer a model from the 3D tool bar. A spiral and star. I hit GoZ in zBrush and it appeared in my Lightwave 11.5 windows but the shape had been compromised. It was not clean. Is this what happens? Shouldn't it be an identical figure. I was hoping the transfer would be "clean". Thanks for your input.

Dear Dan looking back at your suggestion you are absolutely correct Through my own ignorance I was not aware that I could download 11.6 in Lightwave. I did this last night and lo and behold The transfer from Lightwave to zbrush was immediate. The only thing that I find perplexing still is the fact that the three examples you showed were very clean however when I imported used a character from Lightwave into zbrush the character that came up was not clean at all whereas in Lightwave it was smooth I'm trying to figure out there must be something I'm not understanding yet. Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast