Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How to change a rig in 45 scene files?

RigManager manual

I prepared a manual for RigManager beta Nov 2013: Attachment 117469

All functions seem to work now. At least well enough for testing.

This weekend Iīll add some extra protection for the <unregistered version> and will post it here.

RigManager beta1 posted

RigManager beta1 Oct 2013: Attachment 117586

This .lsc version seems to have a small bug.
    See included manual.

This is the free unregistered version. Itīs curretly valid for 31 days.
    In order to receive the free registered full version (valid for 365 days), you must contact me by e-mail.
    See instructions in the manual.

Since this is the beta stage please be careful.
    Do not use this software in a commercial environment.

Read the manual but haven't tried the plugin. So this is a way to centrally organize rigs and simplify importing of rigs into another scene? This will work with any type of rig like rhiggit or genoma(which has wierd naming conventions).
    Also curious about the retargetting of rigs that have changed slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    So this is a way to centrally organize rigs and simplify importing of rigs into another scene?
    Yes.
    The full version can re-import rigs and reload motions and envelopes during loading.
    The full version can also export motion and envelopes during each save action.

You donīt need to re-import/export (and other steps in the process) automatically.
    Itīs also possible to do this manually - as in the unregistered version - since re-import/export takes time.

Also, it seems that the current version should be faster while saving.
    I need to dive into the code to find a solution.
    Also, I need to find a method to only export .mot/.env at the end of the session - not every save.
    Currently, this seems difficult to solve.

This will work with any type of rig like rhiggit or genoma(which has wierd naming conventions).
    The truth is that I donīt know 100%. Thatīs why itīs in beta phase.
    The rig Iīm testing with is partly Genoma.
    The matching method is tolerant to object names with the same name because it verifies some parents and some child objects.

Not every type of animation is supported.
    Currently, these types of animation should work:
    keyframes, morphs, master channels, motion modifiers, motion controllers, dissolve, object level, polygon size, shadow offset.

Also curious about the retargetting of rigs that have changed slightly.
    Well, it should work as mentioned in the manual.
    But I donīt know 100% if this method is useful.
    Only testing will give us answers.

RigManager beta2 posted - win a free full version if you find a bug

Win a free registered full version if you detect a unique bug in the registered version and send a bugreport on this condition: your bugreport should not be related to the GUI but it should concern the main functions of RigManager: managing the process of linking to an external character rig and managing the animations that belong to the new "rig instance".

To test the full version you need to register first by pressing the url "e-mail" in the middle of this page http://members.upc.nl/c.koppes1/contact and send me your real name, e-mail address and your LightWave license_id for a personalized copy.

To discover RigManager, the new unregistered beta2 version is here: Attachment 117710
    The manual for beta2 will be posted later.

Beta2 fixes:
    - the fields should update as expected
    - saving of envelopes (in ChannelGroups) is much faster
    - during saving of envelopes it obeys the SaveMethod settings for keyframes in the options panel (the .mot files were already checked for keys)

You can find the licence-ID in the About box of LightWave, labeled “Product Lock” and it looks like “32265”.

First bug in beta2: the MasterPlugins are not loaded from the rig scene. Implemented LoadElementsFromScene instead but then the MasterPlugins are not deleted so that list is growing until Layout crashes.
    Trying to solve this in beta3.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    You can use...

x = Scene().server(SERVER_MASTER_H);

To create an array "x" which contains the names of master handler plugins loaded in a given scene... you can either remember these to later ApplyServer to reload them... or spider over the list to find out whats already loaded to prevent reloading of dupes.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    You can use...

x = Scene().server(SERVER_MASTER_H);

To create an array "x" which contains the names of master handler plugins loaded in a given scene... you can either remember these to later ApplyServer to reload them... or spider over the list to find out whats already loaded to prevent reloading of dupes.
    Iīve tried that already. All I get is an array that returns "LW_MasterChannel" for each MC plugin, even if they have a different ChannelName or Type.
    In case of RigManager, I donīt know how many characters with x number of MasterPlugins are loaded (or deleted or replaced) before the MasterPlugins of the RigManager controlled character.

I might be able to store the index number at the start and the index number at the end of my RigManager controlled character but this does not guarantee they belong to the rig of that character.

After some sleep Iīve decided Iīm an idiot.
    Iīm trying to "encapsulate" MasterPlugins and threat that scene as one character so multiple instances of that character can exist without interference and/or manual renaming.

The real problem is that Iīve used MasterChannels to glue Sliders to Expressions and MotionControllers.

Instead, Sliders could use the channels of a hidden Null object.
    Multiple versions of that Null object (loading items from scene) are no problem for MotionControllers but unfortunately both Sliders and Expressions keep pointing to the Null object in the first character.

Seems like a design flaw to me but that will not solve my problem.

Any other ideas?

Yeah... ok...

Well, whilst you can certainly use null (or any other kinda item) channels to substitute for MCs... that's only gonna be any good for rigs that are setup that way. If your manager wants to handle setups where folk've used MCs, then you're back to that same block. As for getting sliders or expressions to reference correctly multiple instances of the "same" item... I fear you're gonna be SOL. Tbh... Its generally considered a no go for loading multiple copies of the same character (with the same naming) into a single scene... You will get breakages and Im pretty sure there's nothing you can do about it.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

... and Im pretty sure there's nothing you can do about it.
    I do have some experience (in my "LW-link" plugin for Vegas) with parsing LWS files and infect them with modifications. In LW-link, to manage lots of parameters that influence render quality, just before sending that temp file to ScreamerNet. It does the job well.

Seems that itīs not too difficult to scan the rig file for Expressions and MCīs, add an index number to their names, then rebuild the rig file to a temp.lws and use that for the import process.
    Of course the index number in each RigManager controlled (Null) object must be unique, fixed, and editable via the GUI.

It seems this is the only solution for now.

During these experiments Iīve found new RigManager bugs:
    - my save/load Envelope routines in RigManager beta2 do not handle Expressions and Modifiers at all. They should be referenced in the .env files.
    - RigManager beta2 does not recognize an envelope in a Master Channel as a trigger for saving (when RM Options for Save is set to "All channels" it exports as expected).

O/T: and maybe Iīve also found a new LW bug in Ver 11.6 Build 2714 (Win64): after adding every possible Master Plugin to an empty scene, Layout completely freezes, immediately or a few minutes later. Btw Iīm still experiencing the black viewport bug in the current build.

Yeah, sorry... when I said nothing you can do... that ofc would be... nothing apart from parse the text content of the scene file itself and do some trickery there. Ive done in the past using regular expressions to make changes and write out to temp scene files before loading back in to get unique naming on multiples of the same... Ofc that is a real pain if there's not some kinda "hook" name you can grab/replace, unless you wanna go adding a particular prefix/suffix to every single item, find the text of the original item name in any MCs, exps, etc and add to those too.

Guess it all just "feels" very messy, and makes u start to think "sod it, Ill just do ALL of this crap through direct text level method"... At least its quick to run, which is the main thing at the end of the day.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Guess it all just "feels" very messy, and makes u start to think "sod it, Ill just do ALL of this crap through direct text level method"... At least its quick to run, which is the main thing at the end of the day.
    Youīre right. Itīs not the most beautiful solution but it will work.

This is a preview of beta3: Attachment 117866
    It calculates an (editable) index# during initialisation and you can select the Elements that RM should load from the external rig scenefile.

Currently Iīm working on the find_n_replace part of the code to generate a temp LWS with modified "MC_###" channelgroups and modified Expression names and references to the MCīs.

Ok, the find_n_replace function is reliable now.
    Multiple hits in one string is now also fine.

Current code is changing MC into MC_### and ExpressionName into ###_ExpressionName and generates an "instance_###.lws" in the .\RigManager\[sceneName]\[MASTER_Character_*]\ directory and this file is used for LoadElementsFromScene().

Only thing is now that if I change the "MC" into "MC_###", the ChannelGroup changes back into "MC" after loading. Of course Iīve should have tested this better.
    So now Iīm going to add a prefix to the MC name instead.

Also, after loading the second MASTER_Character_* object canīt be found for re-parenting.

Not sure if I need to add an index prefix to (Null) objects too.
    Iīll try without or limit this to Null objects.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast