Thread: Render Globals - Lighting Palette - Exclude Objects

Render Globals - Lighting Palette - Exclude Objects

Hi,
    Over the years I've had a lot of difficulty getting the exclude objects switches in the Lighting section of the Render Globals palette
    to save the changes once the Scene has been closed. I bring the model into Layout, I rig the lighting, (excluding lights here and there for
    different layers), I render, I'm happy, I close the scene - But when I come back to it after client reviews - The program often dumps all the changes made with the exclude objects switches. Sometimes the program saves the settings, but quite often it dumps them...

Anyone know anything about this?

Cheers,
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render Globals Palette.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	115829  

Hmm, that would be pretty serious problem, can you make small test scene and send it here so we can test and report to Fogbugz if is confirmed ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

This might be way too obvious, but you don't mention actually saving the scene...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Henery View Post
    Hi,
    I bring the model into Layout, I rig the lighting, (excluding lights here and there for
    different layers), I render, I'm happy, I close the scene
    Cheers,
    Keith

Ok now it's sure thing, I can confirm this BUG, happned to me 2 times yesterday and one time today, After reloading scene (to update edited meshes and reboot laoyut oafter crash) Exclude checkmarks are removed (yes I saved scene and all objects severla times). Now, my scene is pretty heavy (9GB) so i cna't send that to NT but if you have simple scene we cna test please upload here and I'll report it if you don't have time.

cheers and thanks
    RAM-Studio

Hi Folks,
    Right then, yes to the save scene; save as; save as with multiple iterations. Thanks Lewis for being sensitive to the fact that it is a rather serious issue as it's a complete job killer when the Clients come back with even the simplest of change requests. Hours of time rebuilding the lighting, and often not even possible to recapture what was in a reasonable time frame. I've been up against it with this - for years...

Cheers,
    Keith

I spent 45 minutes today striping out large scene, deleting parts of mesh, gometry, instances, lights.... and minimizing all to lowest level possible to get under 15 Mb RAR and when i finally made a light scene out of my problematic one, guess what ? Now it works fine, I can't force it to screw the lights exclusion anymore, now the damn thing works. I tried several things, save, celar, restart.... and i can't make bug appear now . And on huge scene it's easily reproducable after first incremental save and reload (not using any external plugins so it's still LW only) .

BTW it screwed my render i left at work yesterday, today i checked renders (print reolsution 4-8h frame) and i see light exclusion isnt' workign anymore and it was tested befor ei set full reoslution and GI/AA settings to cook overnight .

So yeah if you have any kind of scene where this can be rerproduced easily let me know i'll send it to Fogbugz with short video/info for DEVs.

cheers
    RAM-Studio

More Liquid than Solid SquishyAni's Avatar
    OK, this bug has been affecting us also. Using 9.6 primarily. The ONLY way WE were able to re-create the issue was when we opened a model in Modeler FIRST, changed it, saved it, and THEN opened the scene in layout that used the changed model. It seemed that only when we did that did the light linking fail and all checks get turned off. To avoid this problem on our large projects, we had to open Layout First ALWAYS. Then we could adjust models and such with layout open FIRST. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyAni View Post
    OK, this bug has been affecting us also. Using 9.6 primarily. The ONLY way WE were able to re-create the issue was when we opened a model in Modeler FIRST, changed it, saved it, and THEN opened the scene in layout that used the changed model. It seemed that only when we did that did the light linking fail and all checks get turned off. To avoid this problem on our large projects, we had to open Layout First ALWAYS. Then we could adjust models and such with layout open FIRST. Hope this helps.
    Hmm so if you resave mesh in modeler it'll go bad/unchecked again ? Do you have 100% repeatable procedure so we can send it to NT for fix.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-31-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    RAM-Studio

I was working with a large scene with plenty of models. In this case, that was the only work around we used. I'll have to try with a smaller scene to see if I can re-create this.

Hi..
    Right then, well, I'm really not sure how to recreate this issue to expose it, but it's a constant bugger.
    I believe it happens only when Layout crashes. It's happened again and what I can tell you is that it strips
    all of the data out of every other previously saved version as well. I've been working on a model for the past
    four days and thought that saving incrementally, (50+ versions), would be a good backup, but no. Where ever or how ever
    it's writing the data - it's extremely vulnerable. A real killer. I'm looking at many many hours to fix things and probably will never get it all
    back the way it was. How does one actually move forward with letting Newtek know of the problem. It's been constant for
    me ove many years on many different installs on many machines, so I' pretty sure it's real.

Hi,
    I think I might have found something to the issue. When saving the scene out along the way in the working process; today, I've noticed that the "Save All Changes" button
    does not stay checked, (as in a default command). It seems that one has to check it every time you use the "Save and Clear Options" dialogue.
    In doing so thru the day today - ensuring that this option was checked has shown some good results. (See the attached).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Save Options.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	117844

Hi,
    Nope, it appears that wasn't it. Happened again. It's happening on the big scenes, ones with lots of models and lots of clones. Terrible having to go back and recreate the settings.
    I can't think of any way to recreate the issue as once it happens everything that was previous is lost.

I've been trying to re-create this issue, but I haven't run into it again since upgrading to 11.5. One thing that is a constant is the scenes with MANY models involved. I have never reported a bug, thinking that it was just on my end since I never saw any other mention of this issue. Also, I'm running on Mountain Lion now, that could have changed things. Not sure.

Hi Squishy,
    Copy. And thanks for staying with it. Confirmation that I'm not knacked solo makes all the difference.
    On 11.5.1 / 10.7.5 Lion here. The first I remember the issue was back at 9.0, previous to that my scene work didn't involve lots of models.
    Mountain Lion did reek a lot of things with software packages I run on other machines, but with this, I don't think that's it. Interestingly, with the
    last crash I had that stripped things down, (ugly bit of business), I did have a few objects that I excluded lights from using the Object Properties dialogue.
    Those settings, as opposed to the Lighting Properties dialogue, survived the hit. The weird thing is, that as I save quite often, even returning to scenes that were closed properly
    before the crash showed the same loss. So I'm not really very confident that it was the crash that caused the havoc. Extremely frustrating. And
    quite a perplexing issue as to how one would go about trying to recreate the issue. The occurrence only presents itself after the file is closed, or fails, and then reopened.

The same thing here. We are working lighting movie shots and it happens frequently. I think it's not a minor bug to be revised by NT