Thread: Seeking Hardware Recommendations

Multimedia Magician

Seeking Hardware Recommendations

We need a faster PC. It will be running Speed Edit 2.5 exclusively. The system we have now is way too slow. The playback skips every second, even with just one track of video.

We have a small budget, so I'm interested in acquiring something used that will perform better than what we have. Please let me know what you think are the minimum requirements we should look for in a PC to make editing more natural. Thanks so much.

Speed edit doesn't need a monster machine, I edited 7 simultaneous SD tracks on a Dual Core machine, what it does need is a fast disc arrays. If your clips stutter it might also be because they are in a format with GOP compression, and since it has to decompress a series of frames just to show you one, those compression formats are not recommended for editing. Convert those files to uncompressed or to Speed edit's codecs before editing.
    A nice processor will make your life easier. Any i7 machine would work well with SE.

Multimedia Magician
    Thanks Danner. We're editing with 2 HD tracks. The footage is raw P2 stuff (MXF files).

Is there a requirement for the speed of a dual or quad processor?

Just get the fastest processor you can afford, Clock speed is important but the more cores the better. You don't need to convert your .mxf files, they should work fine. I also forgot to mention that NewTek recommended an Nvidia card, Any decent Gforce would do, like a 400 series card, they are capable and cheap, but you could go even lower than that like a 9000 series. (that is correct the 9000 series is older/slower than the 400 series..) Other things to look for is a good power supply specially if you are adding many internal drives. Any windows OS from XP on would work but I recommend win7. SE is 32 bits but works fine, probably better, on a 64 bit OS.