Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ChronoSculpt in production

ChronoSculpt in production

Hello,

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated ChronoSculpt forum so I'm posting here, I hope it's ok.

I got a ChronoSculpt licence yesterday and after testing it at home I can see how powerfull it is. I would like to use it on the production I'm currently involved to fix a lot of issues (penetration problems, cloth fx issues, etc..) as our pipeline is based on mdd.

There is the licensing issue (node locked vs floating/dongle licence for which I've already sent an email to support).

Albeit ChronoSculpt could be used immediately in production, here are the few suggestions, granted I understand it's a pre-release:

- I didn't find a way to actualy 'play' the timeline. We can use the mouse or the left/right arrow, but there is no 'play' button or equivalent keyboard shortcut that I found (making the setting 30fps a bit odd). Is there a way to 'play' the timeline ?

- ChronoSculpt don't do mesh subdivision. This will be needed in production as not all mdd are use for the final high-res meshes but often for the subdivision hull. To use ChronoSculpt as a 'fix' tool we need to display subdivided meshes in order to check for penetrations and such.

- Adding other object import formats (*.lxo, *.fbx, ..) could be a plus.

Aside from that, ChronoSculpt is really great and will certainly be very powerfull in production, I have no doubt about that. Congrats.

Cheers,
    Guy.
    Last edited by grabiller; 07-24-2013 at 02:02 AM.
    guy rabiller | radfac founder/ceo | raa.tel | French Lightwavers & Studios List

Make sure to submit these to Fogbugz.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

hi @grabiller, thanks for the feedback, i am also thinking of buying CS, the presentation at siggraph was awesome.

do you know when i load a lwo file and sculpt some details, can i save only a morph in the current lwo file or can i save it as another lwo file.

thanks
    alexs
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs3d View Post
    hi @grabiller, thanks for the feedback, i am also thinking of buying CS, the presentation at siggraph was awesome.

do you know when i load a lwo file and sculpt some details, can i save only a morph in the current lwo file or can i save it as another lwo file.

thanks
    alexs
    Currently you can only save objs to a new file "Save Frame to obj" strangely there is no "Save Frame to lwo" at the moment.
    You can also save to a endomorph. This creates a new .lwo with an endomorph "New Morph" in your lwo.

I really see this as a tool for adding that something extra to a piece of animation, you know, getting that destruction looking perfect or getting some defined bend and stretch silhouettes on animated characters, the nuances that can be applied after the grunt work. So you do the work and then run it through Chronosculpt, and that's part of the pipeline. Having mentioned silhouettes which could be very camera specific, like that movie 'Open Season', is there any way to specifically match a camera view in Chronosculpt. That should be an option. Anyway, I'm probably going to get this while it's cheap.

Why NT dont give us a demo just to play with....
    KAKAROUNTAS KONSTANTINOS
    CREATIVE DIRECTOR ,VFX-CG SUPERVISOR
    DAHOUSE PRODUCTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by drako View Post
    Why NT dont give us a demo just to play with....
    +1
    http://doc3d.com

Intel i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 4 core 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Intel i7 980x 3.33 GHz 6 core 16GB RAM Dual ATI Radeon 5850 Win 7 64

How does the licensing work? May I install ChronoSculpt on both my Windows workstation and MacBook Pro (when available) ?
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Can you save all the animation to one Alembic file and not have to reanimate a bunch of morphs?

ah ok thanks for the feedback....

Quote Originally Posted by jog View Post
    Currently you can only save objs to a new file "Save Frame to obj" strangely there is no "Save Frame to lwo" at the moment.
    You can also save to a endomorph. This creates a new .lwo with an endomorph "New Morph" in your lwo.
    My Portfolio - http://alexs3d.blogspot.com - Now with Photography

Quote Originally Posted by realgray View Post
    Can you save all the animation to one Alembic file and not have to reanimate a bunch of morphs?
    yes, and you don't have to use endomorphs at all. Currently however LW is still waiting on the first Alembic Implementation.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the play button is just holding down the right or left arrow key as it plays at 30fps, which makes sense in a way. I could be wrong but I didn't see a play button in the manual.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by grabiller View Post
    Hello,

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated ChronoSculpt forum so I'm posting here, I hope it's ok.
    Actually, there is a dedicated ChronoSculpt area on this forum. If you scroll down the forums page you should find it but this link will take you straight there:

http://forums.newtek.com/forumdispla...9-ChronoSculpt

One of the Mods should move this thread into the appropriate sub-section of the ChronoSculpt area.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by Liber777 View Post
    How does the licensing work? May I install ChronoSculpt on both my Windows workstation and MacBook Pro (when available) ?
    It uses a separate LWK file, just like LW since 11.0.3, so I would expect it will work in the same manner as and when other platforms are supported.
    Inactive.

It looks interesting and quite useful, but I'm not willing to even consider pulling the purchase trigger until there's a released Mac version (and either a demo, or independent reviews of the Mac-vs-Windows feature & quality parity). It's all new code, so there shouldn't be any significant parity differences.
    Last edited by jwiede; 09-08-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

"Why NT dont give us a demo just to play with.... " - Yes, why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast