Thread: xd300 Tricaster always crashes unless I "double" boot

Event and Studio Videos

xd300 Tricaster always crashes unless I "double" boot

Hi Folks:

I own two TriCaster 300's and they both have the same startup problem ever since I first bought them several years ago:
    1) If I just power on the tricaster, after a minute to an hour later the system will crash to a blue screen.
    2) If I first power on the tricaster, wait a few seconds for the "beep" or initial text on screen, followed by forcing a power down with front panel power button, then restart a few seconds later - these systems are perfectly reliable and work all day.

I tried a system restore with no improvement. And, the problem has been present through all upgrades even to the current March 12, 2013 4h update.

Is this normal behavior?
    Is there a better workaround?
    Is there some setting to avoid this behavior?

I love my Tricasters but this power on procedure seems so unusual and is hard to get new operators to follow...

On the BSOD there is usually the name the piece of software module that the system was running when it crashed. Can you find that? On Vista I think this is usually found at the bottom of the screen, usually a .sys, .dll or .exe filename.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Event and Studio Videos
    BSOD reads "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

You might try reseating the RAM. I know it sounds odd, but I've fixed quite a few computer problems just by doing that.
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0

Event and Studio Videos
    Because both of my units and one loaner unit all have the "double boot" issue. I asked tech support why this occurs. They said that any time the TriCaster XD300 had new inputs, like cameras, this double boot was required. My units are rock solid reliable, but only when I power on, then off, then on again.

I am just checking in here with other XD300 owners to see if they too have to "double boot" as well.