Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevron Motion

For what it's worth, my readings from the Microsoft help pages say that they only support the Windows Kinect under VMs, not the XBox one. As Greenlaw said, though, the VM overhead would probably be killer. I've run TAFA under Parallels and for heavy models there is already noticeable lag in the audio; I expect mocap will be much worse. I advise biting the bullet and rebooting into Boot Camp for this kind of stuff.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    Hi Guys,
    I'm now all Nevron-ned up, have my xbox kinect set up with the 1.7 drivers, have it recognised in LW, have it tracking my kids going craaaaazy in the living room (inside of layout), but have no idea how to record.
    Oddly I'm looking for a button somewhere with "Record" on it, and I can't find one anywhere.
    I found a dropdown with "New Take", that looked promising, but this did nothing......
    Anyone actually recorded anything yet ? how ?

Also just to reassure, XBOX 360 kinect seems to work (up to this point anyway) just fine. My only problem so far is the user

Quote Originally Posted by Tranimatronic View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm now all Nevron-ned up, have my xbox kinect set up with the 1.7 drivers, have it recognised in LW, have it tracking my kids going craaaaazy in the living room (inside of layout), but have no idea how to record.
    Oddly I'm looking for a button somewhere with "Record" on it, and I can't find one anywhere.
    I found a dropdown with "New Take", that looked promising, but this did nothing......

Also just to reassure, XBOX 360 kinect seems to work (up to this point anyway) just fine. My only problem so far is the user
    I managed to record my take, by switching on allow record and then pressing play on the timeline. Now all I need to figure out is how to actually bake the motion to key frames. Can't find any information on this - help is appreciated!
    i7 X3930/32GB/Quadro 4000

Hi Guys,

Are you talking about the Kinect bundled with the Xbox. The one with separate power supply ? Not the windows Kinect.
    I can get it to work in Windows with all features but it does not show up i LW. Same drivers as you.
    In the device manager i see HID,InterSense and PS move.
    What OS are you on ?

Quote Originally Posted by khan973 View Post
    Hi guys, yes, I do have a XBOX 360 Kinect.
    You can record a full body motion, yes.
    You have to be in "LIVE", choose the right FPS and hit play while recording your take. You can make multiple takes and choose the best one.
    You should avoid direct light to the kinect and sun light too.
    I have had best results pointing a light toward me. The results are drastically better.
    I'll look up on the internet if there are "best practices" for kinect capturing.
    Khan, in case you didnt see my other post, here are a few best practices/tips for the Kinect:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1334366

Unfortunately with the Kinect 1 (Xbox or Windows version) Neck/head rotations arent captured nor are wrists or ankles - so your character ends up a little stiff.

We ended up duct taping a phone to a baseball cap and sending accelerometer/magnometer obtained head rotations via UDP over WiFi in order to get more realism (yes I know that was very DIY but budget didn't include for more research). Just don't have any metal furniture within 3m of your performer or her head will spin like Linda blair from the Exorcist lol Those phone orientation mems chips are crap even in the most expensive ios or samsung models.

This was back in 2011-ish:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FairyPic01.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	115879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backstage01.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	480.0 KB 
ID:	115875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backstage02.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	575.0 KB 
ID:	115876
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Backstage03.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	115877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FairyRugby7s.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	115878

This was for live avatar performances not recorded takes where you can tweak after the fact like with Nevronmotion, so we also used a Wii controller for other animations (to flap her wings or for the character's magic wand which had a parented light to it and could trail sparkles or shoot them out or disappear her in a puff), plus a wireless mic to control a jaw bone and make her talk. Since Kinect doesn't do wrists I put a physics spring joint on the hand bone so waving the arm lazy flopped the hand which looked good enough. (So dont forget doing secondary physics driven animation off your Nevronmotion mocap it will help). But I kind of wish I had the time and money back then to have done more R & D and figured out realtime phoneme audio detection to drive mouth shape morphs , but we settled on mic volume driving the extent of the jaw bone rotation and for a cartoon character it worked pretty well...

One more big Kinect performance tip:

• Have your performer match your character as closely as possible. i.e. Regardless of retargeting, use big people for bigger characters, smaller folk for smaller characters, and guys for guys & girls for girls. Not everyone has the body awareness and ability of Andy Serkis or a dancer - we found even with the limited tracking of the Kinect, people could still tell when a guy was driving our female fairy character - they just looked too masculine and apey no matter how delicate they acted - the nuances of a female performer although subtle really made her come alive!

I cant wait for the Kinect 2 which has head/neck, wrists & ankles and alot more!! Hope Lino will confirm Nevronmotion will support Kinect2 when it is out for developers late this year.
    Last edited by sami; 07-27-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydk View Post
    Are you talking about the Kinect bundled with the Xbox. The one with separate power supply ? Not the windows Kinect.
    I can get it to work in Windows with all features but it does not show up i LW. Same drivers as you.
    In the device manager i see HID,InterSense and PS move.
    What OS are you on ?
    Windows 7.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinec...downloads.aspx
    Windows complains that it doesnt know what the USB device is, but its fine in Layout. That's all I installed
    XBOX 360 kinect with extra power supply cable thingie, bought seperate from Xbox, but for xbox

@Stevecullum : So when you say timeline do you mean the main layout timeline ?

Windows 7.
    Windows complains that it doesnt know what the USB device is, but its fine in Layout. That's all I installed
    XBOX 360 kinect with extra power supply cable thingie, bought seperate from Xbox, but for xbox

@Stevecullum : So when you say timeline do you mean the main layout timeline ?
    Yep.

I don't currently have a Kinect, but would it be worthwhile to get Nevron Motion at this time? Would the tools in iNevron be of use at this point? I do want to get a Kinect at some point but can't afford to do it right now. Could someone give me a quick answer. The show price is tempting but don't want to spend it if its only beneficial with a mocap device.

If you do animation of a character kind, with all the fbx and bvh files available, I would say get it as it will make your life easier in getting started with animation.

If you ever wanted to, get it.

If you have Maestro, GET IT. New life can be brought back to Maestro at this juncture.

Many reasons to get it.

It's a plugin for LW. Ha, the easiest reason of all.

I bought Nevron today, and as it works fine with bvh files, the best option for me (as I have no windows licence and certainly won't spare an euro for this OS) is to capture on a kinect with fastmocap, then to use nevron to retarget in LW, all natively in Mac OS X without hassle with bootcamp or whatever workaround (of course, for people already having a windows licence and a boot camp partition it's another song). The Nevron motion discount covers 2/3 of fastmocap standard price, so it's not a big deal.

Edit : I could use Nevron to retarget bvh files very easily, but no luck so far with fbx files, even with provided content. Guess I must miss something, as the manual needs to be written properly (currently, it's not even a draft, but it's only a pre-release), or maybe it's mac related. Can some mac user test retargeting with fbx files ? I'd like to understand what I'm missing. For instance, if I load the push scene before retargeting from the content, and hit "retarget", it doesn't work (with or without IK).
    On the other hand, retargeting motion builder friendly bvh files from cmu library was very straightforward.
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 07-27-2013 at 02:22 PM.

It's certainly worthwhile if you have LightWave 11.6, have need for motion capture right now, and not a lot of resources to spend. IMO, if you've never used a mocap system before, Nevron Motion is an excellent low-cost introduction that can grow with your needs.

For me, I wasn't sure if Little Green Dog should get Nevron Motion because we already have a solid mocap workflow for LightWave, but after seeing Nevron demonstrated at Siggraph, I felt it could make a good expansion to our current capabilities. I don't see Nevron replacing our current iPi MS2 with dual kinect-multi-PS Move controllers/Motion Builder/LW workflow for full body capture but it could help simplify our workload. Nevron also presents some interesting alternative ways to use Kinect data in LightWave

By 'simplify', I mean we can use Nevron Motion with Kinect to efficiently capture and apply a lot of simpler mocap actions directly to our characters, leaving us more time to fuss over the complicated motions that we will continue to capture with our other system.

Nevron also offers face capture directly inside of LightWave, a feature I'm quite intrigued by. There are several kinect based face capture systems currently out there but Nevron appears to be the only one that can work directly with LightWave.

I'm also intrigued by the idea that you can drive almost any keyframeable item or property in LightWave through Nevron's Kinect interface. I'd like to try using it for alternative forms of digital puppetry.

That's a lot of power for $200.

G.

Windows 7.

Exactly same as i installed. Itīs working very well in Windows with the SDK programs and so on but it just does not turn up in Device Manager......strange...and annoying.

Exactly same as i installed. Itīs working very well in Windows with the SDK programs and so on but it just does not turn up in Device Manager......strange...and annoying.
    Do all 4 camera thingy's show up in your windows device manager?

Quote Originally Posted by stevecullum View Post
    Do all 4 camera thingy's show up in your windows device manager?
    only three items in the device manager : HID,InterSense and PS move.

only three items in the device manager : HID,InterSense and PS move.
    well, i uninstalled the runtime and re-installed it and then added the nevron plugin again and i got the Kinect with the other three devices.
    Still can't rename it or get anything out of it. No options and status is stopped.
    Is there supposed to be something in the window below the devices ?

Do i need to install the Kinect Developer toolkit aswell ?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast