Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion: What's the best rendering software besides Lightwave?

Opinion: What's the best rendering software besides Lightwave?

Hello, fellow Lightwave gurus. I'm gathering facts and opinions about which rendering plugin(s) or software is considered the most useful for video production, or in general. Any ideas? Opinions? I've heard of Arnold, Lumion, Kray, and Octane, but that's about it. Feel free to share your experiences.
    “The education of a man is never completed until he dies.”

― Robert E. Lee

What's your definition of "video production"? Flying logos?

What type of work do you do?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

if you mean TV/advertising when you say for video production, i'd say LightWave is one of the major ones.
    also for film. Vray is a good contender, Kray3 is supposed to be great, but is not out just yet.

Octane is realistic for close ups (perfume bottles etc.) and interiors.
    Kray is faster though.
    Octane / Kray are not that great for long animations (they are either too slow or flicker)

for exteriors, i'd say use LightWave, or wait for Kray3 for exteriors / interiors...

interiors in LightWave is more tricky, it's best to bake, or use some tricks combining baking, rendering foreground / background separate, for then to mix in post...
    Last edited by erikals; 07-16-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Lightwave/Modo for ease of use. Most broadcast graphics are done in C4D using their internal renderer or vray for C4D. Mental Ray/Arnold/Vray/Renderman up you'll see in commercials/movies/game cinematics depending on budget/preference.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    if you mean TV/advertising when you say for video production, i'd say LightWave is one of the major ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by realgray View Post
    Lightwave/Modo for ease of use.
    There needs to be a wrought irony fence around this place.
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-17-2013 at 01:27 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

There are many viable renderers out there, there is no single best one, because each has it's strenghts and weakneses so it really depends what kind of work you do, what is your budget and personal preference. Lightwave has three strenghts. VPR, speed and flexibility. By flexibility I mean the huge amount of options and features you have access to out of the box and with third party add-ons. Even other render engines as Add ons, like Octane, Kray and soon Arnold.
    Speaking of Octane, it's a great renderer too, on a decent gaming card (gtx 670 here) it's very fast for stills and for animations where you can't use fixed cache. It has many limitations as far as shading options and you must plan ahead if you want to do something complex in order to avoid hiting the GPU memory barrier, this is a limitation of all GPU render engines as fas as I know, you must re-create your materials/surfaces inside Octane but it's very easy to get good looking results out of it. I've seen Maxwell and Vray at work but my experience is limited, from what I've seen Maxwell is extremely easy to use and very deep in shading features but quite slow. Vray is not as good as I had imagined, it's not as fast as LW and getting good results requires quite a bit of knowledge. What I loved about Vray is the quality and quantity of fully shaded ready-made models and scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    There needs to be a wrought irony fence around this place.
    hardly, explain.
    Last edited by erikals; 07-17-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Video Production Explained

Video production...I was referring to a movie or TV series pipeline, anything requiring heavy cgi. Personally, I'm graphics designer, but that's not what I meant by it.
    “The education of a man is never completed until he dies.”

― Robert E. Lee

Well, LightWave is more than capable. It's been used on Star Trek, Roughneck Troopers, Battlestar Galactica, Walking Dead...

The list of tv and movie projects is quite long.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Buy Octane .. and awesome Octane plugin. It is SO fast that you cannot wait for any other renderer. When you earn money buy TITAN NVIDIA card(s)- you ll have an insane raw power for render.
    Also Juan - Octane plugin author simply is a genius - he keeps updating his plugin like noone else. With this plugin we have survived within heavily MAX VRAY infested archviz competitions.

About materials - it is SO easy to understand.... because of insane speed and MATERIAL UPDATE in IPR - you ll be changing everything in no time.

I cannot recommend enough .. .download demo and see yourself..

The FX Guide is doing a series on the state of the render in modern 3d graphics. First is about the hows, seconds the actual programs (Including Lightwave and Modo).

Check it out http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-state-of-rendering/
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

maxwell and kray, of course...
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

those are not so good for rendering animations afaik...

well, some create excellent work with kray for animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJFmo7UGMk

maxwell is best for stills.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Quote Originally Posted by LW_Will View Post
    The FX Guide is doing a series on the state of the render in modern 3d graphics. First is about the hows, seconds the actual programs (Including Lightwave and Modo).

Check it out http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-state-of-rendering/
    Holy Moly! One of my renders was used for Lightwave renderer, although in the article placed in misleadingly close proximity to the mention of Kray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast