Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Sinclair Spectrum

To connect the old Speccy to this deck, I also modeled some cables... The tape leads are done, and I modeled up a couple of RF cable connectors that need to be finished. The tape leads are rigged so I can bend and twist them about... There's a few bump maps needed on those RF connectors however...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF_plugs.png 
Views:	139 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	117634

Name:	Audio_cables_blog.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	117633
    -- --
    100 Days challenge 2014 : 800 Bits

Personal Blog :Personal Blog
    NZLWUG : Facebook / Blog
    -- --

Ok, so its not all in chronological order - but here's a few more things... Obviously one doesn't need cassette players or cables, or even RF connectors without something to use them with. I modeled a cassette and casing for it - A good way to see how well your case model holds up is to make sure it looks just as good transparent. Seems to look ok...

Name:	CassetteCase_v11_BSPOT.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	784.4 KB 
ID:	117635

Name:	Montage_Clear_Galaxians_KP.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	979.9 KB 
ID:	117636
    -- --

-- --

As a kind of "tribute" to the upcoming documentary about the rise of the UK gaming industry "From bedrooms to billions", I decided to have a little fun with that cassette model...

Name:	B2B_open.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	750.9 KB 
ID:	117638

Name:	B2B_cover.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	624.9 KB 
ID:	117637
    -- --

-- --

And how would one play these games without a TV set! Most of this TV set stuff was just made up - referring to a variety of reference on style of elements that make for the 80's (ie. old 14" TV sets)

I ended up with 3 variations (and even a more modern TV set)... Still umming over which one I'd use...

This was the last one I did - with its digital buttons (4 channels), etc

Name:	updated_digitalTV_04_montage.png 
Views:	819 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	117640

This was how I started out making a TV set - doing a search of "14 inch TV set" got a fairly flat faced Philips TV. Sure, it may have been "old" but I figured I probably want to keep it more retro...

Name:	TVSet_modernish.png 
Views:	322 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	117641

The first "old" analogue style look I was after. The black dial and white case I kinda like, but I figured I'd try another one...

Name:	old_TV_WIP.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	117642

The was the second analogue control style - this time with shiney metalic trim on the controls.

Name:	blog_old_TV_updatedTXTR.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	117639

TV's vary a LOT - so all of these options are just as viable as each other.
    Last edited by kevman3d; 10-13-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    -- --

-- --

As always, these are all WIP's at the moment - mostly because the surfacing on a lot of it is too clean (or not set up) and I'll still need to model a Ball point pen (a common "tape rewinding" tool) to complement those other assets. I'll post more as I get things done...
    -- --

-- --

Beautifull models and great blast from the past in memory
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Cassette rewinding tool...

As one would expect in the 1980's, there were often times when you would need to rewind a tape while another was loading... Here's a pretty common rewinding appliance, often found on tables and desks next to the old home computer... (no textures yet)

Name:	WIP_Ballpoint.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	117813
    -- --

-- --

Ahaha, yes that was very nice and common rewinding tool .
    RAM-Studio

A quick render with a couple of bump maps on the "rewinder".

Name:	WIP_Bic_texturetest.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	117818

And a quick modeler screenshot of an MDF desk (no, its not from the 80's - only the hardware I've modelled so far is). The desktop MDF damage is hand-painted (mostly custom PS maps I created) but it looks as bad as my real one I'm sitting at right now. So I'm pretty happy with it - surfaces will need work, but its mostly a texturing/surfacing exercise for this one...

Name:	WIP_MDF_desktop.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	117817

More later...
    -- --

-- --

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Nice bump map on the Bic pen. I went through a lot of those.. the ends didn't last long when you were chewing on them for lengthy periods of time... usually whilst you were waiting for something to load. All this instant technology, kids don't know how lucky they are!

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

on a home stretch

Nice bump map on the Bic pen. I went through a lot of those.. the ends didn't last long when you were chewing on them for lengthy periods of time... usually whilst you were waiting for something to load.
    That was the staple pen here in NZ from offices to schools - from what I know, these particular pens were manufactured here in NZ as well. Just this year, BIC decided to close the NZ plant altogether... A sad time - the BIC manufacturing plant here was around for more then 40 years...

"Many who are to lose their jobs have been at the pen factory for decades, including one woman who on Friday will celebrate her 40th anniversary with the company. "

But a few chew marks would take that to a whole new "realism"...

All this instant technology, kids don't know how lucky they are!
    The worlds a very different place. So much is now available - kids don't even need to go through that whole "Teach yourself how to do 3D" thing that everybody had to way back. Schools, books, free online video training... Its all handed to them on a platter.

Anyway...

I think I'm almost good to start laying out a shot and surfacing/lighting/rendering... Built a few stray hairs, some cookie crumbs, a power cable, finished the RF cable and built a mug to sit on the desk... I was tempted to model some quick graph paper and draw some UDG's on it, but looking at my actual desk here, that would be like forcing elements into a shot vs. trying for something more believable.

However, I do think I might model those extra's later anyway... Can't hurt to throw in a few more assets.

Here's a typical mug (also based on the one on my desk - though I don't have the apocalyptic image on my real one...

Name:	WIP_mug_02.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	117855
    Last edited by kevman3d; 10-25-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    -- --

-- --

This is great. It's the only thing I feel nostalgic about and yet it was all so painful. Waiting while that whiny loading process took place and dealing with the disappointment when it failed at the last minute.
    The irony is that you will have to set up a proper cutting edge render of all this stuff to pay repsect to the retro crappiness of the 80's
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Well, I'm onto my composition now - I do have a pile of additional "mini" details in here, such as hairs, crumbs, etc... (yes, I modelled pointless details you'll hardly ever see - I had way too much spare time - see image).

Name:	WI_hairs_n_stuff.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	118161

Here's an initial couple of tests from an initial layout render to the lower image being the last one I did. I'm going to redo all the lighting (its just a quick point light really) and there are a few additional assets to add (better curtains (textures are a little rough), twisty tie, maybe an additional tape or two - whatever takes my fancy really )

Name:	comparison_render.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	118160

Its only a low-res render or two for now... And the jpg artifacting doesn't really help - But its at least an update, something I'll do when I get around to playing with the project next.

"Meanwhile, in the real world..." - I'm currently replacing 16k of lower ram in one of the two "real" speccy's here at home in a desparate bid to get at least one of these working. Whether its going to work, I have no idea - but it doesn't hurt to try...

More soon...
    Last edited by kevman3d; 11-12-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    -- --

-- --

Bottom one is better IMHO. Top one is too dark TV/screen, you could add some GLOW/GI bounce from TV screen also .
    RAM-Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Bottom one is better IMHO. Top one is too dark TV/screen, you could add some GLOW/GI bounce from TV screen also .
    Yup - the bottom one is with textures, the top is my "pre-texture" version.

I did a version with very dark lighting, and the key source coming from the TV screen which looked like it might be worth using. The other idea is to do the same, but have some backlight from the window against the curtains... It would be more "realistic" that way... Just like the old (well, current as well) days where I'd sit in the dark during the daytime and type in programs all day long just to play some rather slow and painful basic game... lol!

Here's the test lighting for the screen-illumination - just to get an idea how it would work... Yes - I am aware that there are no shadows just in case someone says "Hey, those objects aren't casting a shadow!"
    Its not a final render, just something to bounce a few ideas about with...

Name:	WIP_DarkRoom.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	118182

More later (in the future)
    Last edited by kevman3d; 11-14-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    -- --

-- --

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast