Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Sinclair Spectrum

WIP - Sinclair Spectrum

Thought I'd post this one up here. I have a few days off work, and while fiddling with the 2 Spectrums I have here that are in need of repair, I took a handful of photo's of one of them and thought "Why not"

I've already modeled an Atari Cartridge (in the other gallery on the forum). I'll get this one finished - the modeling work is pretty close to done (about 6 hours so far) - mostly textures and surfacing are left, and then its rendering... The PCB components I placed just as something that would fill that inside area in case I rendered from behind. I could just slap on a lot more components, but I envisage I won't be rendering a macro view in the back of the case, or shining a spotlight from behind the machine to 'look inside'.

After this, I may just model the Atari 600XL I have here as well - I took plenty of photos of that while I had the camera handy and nothing better to do yesterday afternoon. More soon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZXSpeccy2_WIP.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	115623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZXSpeccy_WIP.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	115624
    Last edited by kevman3d; 07-15-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    -- --
    100 Days challenge 2014 : 800 Bits

Personal Blog :Personal Blog
    NZLWUG : Facebook / Blog
    -- --

Base detail done...

Quick 15 minute update - drilled in the holes and foot inserts, then added the final rubber feet... Originally I wasn't going to bother, but its such a quick thing to do I thought I may as well just for the heck of it. I will need to quickly throw in the screw heads, but no hurry for those right now... Will take a break and go texture it up later.

Name:	ZX_Base.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	115626
    -- --

-- --

Keyboard overlay textured and ready...

It took a while to remove the glare and artifacts on the photo's I had taken to get the various key symbols, etc, but I think its paid off here. That's probably the main texture map that I needed, so I'll start to look at actual surfacing next now that the pretty pictures are done. Will have to thrown in some wear, etc - some of the keys (Symbol Shift) were almost completely worn off on the real machine - and perhaps a little chip, scratch and bend here and there...

Name:	ZXSpeccy3_WIP.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	115627

The real one had the keyboard overlay removed as the membrane was completely ripped (it was like that when I bought it, so I've bought a new one for it) and there's no way you can generally do that without even minor bending. The darn thing is held down with super-adhesive double sided tape, and its a right pita to lift off... If you're curious, then here's the ortho photos I took to model this from...

Name:	spectrum_orthos_BLOG.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	410.6 KB 
ID:	115628

More soon...
    -- --

-- --

...and a very quick test render

Just a quick render with a Dome light. Slapped a crumple onto the main plastic casing to give it the needed texture... But still work to do... I need to tweak those keyboard buttons as they look like they're getting shallowed up the top... Oh well, easy tweak. More soon...

Name:	QuickZX_test2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	355.9 KB 
ID:	115629
    -- --

-- --

looks already very nice, love this retro stuff

... an Atari xl would of course also be cool

I'm pretty sure the Atari will be my next "I'm bored, lets make some 3D stuff" project...
    -- --

-- --

Excellent, good old times . I spent so many sleepless nights playing on that until my C64 arrived .

BTW any wires to show ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Nice-I have great memories of that crappy old thing
    I think I replaced mine with a Super Nintendo. It was the only thing to come along mind blowing enough to make me cut the bond.

I think it was Zardoz who posted some lovely shots of a Spectrum a couple of years ago.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Lightwave Muddler... wrightyp100's Avatar
    fond memories! Looks great too.
    I am the Keeper Of The Cheese!

My Youtube Channel! Enjoyhttp://www.youtube.com/user/wrightyp100?feature=mhum

Also, check out my film Production Website.

http://www.trifectafilms.co.uk

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Wow, you really are bored if you're doing the PCB too! Very nice. All my friends went down the ZX route, I was lucky enough to have parents who saved up and bought me a C64, with external tape desk. Then onto a BBC Master Compact, then Amstrad... and finally an Amiga 500... oh Deluxe Paint.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Wires, etc

Ok. Here's a few bits n bobs. Wires - note that this is the original. When I finished up, I decided to triple the meshes with all the drilled holes, etc in them for non-planar 'safety'. It all looks very busy when its tripled of course...

Name:	ZX_WF01.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	371.3 KB 
ID:	115633

I built the model in parts, similiar to how the real one is constructed. Note that the PCB is only partially built, and only where the PCB may be visible in the render...

Name:	ZX_blownApart.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	115634

And finally, here's the actual machine which is sitting on my desk here. The Atari is also here... Its working, the Spectrums (I have 2) are not (at the moment - I'm waiting on parts).

Name:	Speccy.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	115631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600XL_InGoodNick.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	115632

Yup - the 80's were good times. My brother did the whole Commodore side of things... I stuck to the Sinclair...
    -- --

-- --

Nice, good wireframe. I secretly hoped it's subDs mesh but it looks good this way too .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Now you can destroy this with bullet dynamics in LW and After Effect ;]

Wow... I had an Atari 400! oh, happy days...

the membrane keyboard keyboard is an interesting shape on those. Entirely flat keys, I think, with raise areas defining the key boundaries. Freaky.
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

Ok. Its been a while - and I've been spending time on and off making all kinds of extra material for what I'm hoping will eventuate in a final composition... Fuelled on by my ongoing 80's obsession (damn these machines on my desk, they taunt me with their retro-goodness).

Anyway, before I become a complete wierdo... Here's a few more WIP's so far that I've done over the last few months. I've gotten into a lazy habit of posting onto Facebook rather then forums, and a few posts on and off on my blog to discuss some of these projects... So here we go.

Starting at the end of the timeline (ie. Now - and working backwards), I've been modelling an old data recorder I have sitting here with my other hoard. Its not 100% accurate, but its supposed to be more an "80's style cassette deck" to fit in with the theme... This is based on an old Euromatic.

Name:	Final_TXTR2_euromaticKPBS.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	662.0 KB 
ID:	117632
    -- --

-- --

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast