Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestion: Motion Blending Tools in Layout (Like Motion Builder)

Quote Originally Posted by prospector View Post
    Even if we have to use the Motion files Motion Mixer puts out so all data from same rig is the same...just being able to line a string of motions together and have the subject start right where the other ends and being able to match *some* of the bones would be a nice start...
    a demo of Relative motion loading and blending via IKBooster (none of the clips, including the run cycle, have shared start/ending frames):

Last edited by Ryan Roye; 09-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

THIS is COOLEST IKB demo video ever. Even Larry is watching from heavens...!

IKB the most over and underacted feature in LightWave. Always a source of controversy but always proof that someone at NT had the right idea at some point about what a Character Animation is all about and was able to code a plugin within Layout to make it happen.

This is great stuff.

I would not go as far as to compare this in any way to MotionBuilder. Because I know better. But it is just proof that IKB is the system that should have replaced the CA system in LightWave and that it should have been and should be developed further.

There is no way (as mentioned already) that LightWave with IKB and Motion mixer even begins to rival MotionBuilder. Not even close. But at the same time you have to give credit where credit is due and this is a well thought out system and looks to me like a very well implemented use of it.

So well done!

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    yea, you have tut somewhere?
    Don't think I've seen that before in IKBoost....

"I would not go as far as to compare this in any way to MotionBuilder. Because I know better. But it is just proof that IKB is the system that should have replaced the CA system in LightWave and that it should have been and should be developed further."

Totally agree..If this was kept in development from beginning it would rival Motion Builder all around, and Motion Mixer would run neck and neck with Motion Builders Story.
    Last edited by prospector; 09-18-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Original coders of both tools (Ino for IKB and Mark Brown for MotionMixer..AFAIK) are not with NT. So is there ANY possible way to update these amazing tools? What can we do about it? I mean I would buy an updated MotionMixer+IKB plugin in a heartbeat instead of Nevron..

This and a lot of other "hidden" things will be included in my commercial IKB tutorial... I am working hard to try and get it done by October. Maybe I'll give Newtek staff a free copy so they can know the production beast they've left in the closet that could use some love... even if that love is just in the form of simple bug fixes (IE: notice the IKB track is no longer aligned with the timeline in LW 10+; that's annoying!!) . It will be the 100% complete documentation (visual AND written) IKB has always needed from the start. Sadly, 10 years late... but at least it will finally happen.

The whole point of relative motion loading is "load it and be done with it". Motion Builder is a specialized program so of course it'll do things better, but I like to think this provides a high degree of similar functionality (with some disadvantages of course) without the cost and all while keeping everything in 1 program. I have a very large library of motions and I simply got sick and tired of having to "manage" it all during production. Motion Mixer doesn't handle bulk motion files well, and previously I fought with trying to get my motions seamlessly inserted into the timeline. I owe Larry a lot of credit for the development of the workflow because a large chunk of it builds on his teachings. A part of the earnings from the commercial tutorial will go to his family because of this. I will admit some parts of the workflow depends on some 3rd party plugins... most people probably already have these tools (IE: MF motion baker), but it should be mentioned.

Here's an earlier proof of concept demo I did a bit back. Foot placement is a bit clumsy, but a lot of research has gone into perfecting and understanding what the optimal (fastest and cleanest) methods of motion transfer are.

Last edited by Ryan Roye; 09-18-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Put me on list for first copy.
    And as we all know..somewhere in solar system it's October now so I expect it in mail tomorrow
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    IKB the most over and underacted
    oops... I meant to type "underrated". Spell checker got me!

And yeah, good work on using Larry's knowledge base. I always found his posts inspiring when I was getting into learning IKB. There is so much under that hood. And it can be used in so many ways.

One of the biggest misconceptions I find is that you have to use IKB as a stand alone system and that is not true. You can use it with your own custom rigs and use it - as intended - to boost your IK.

After using IKB I would never go back to animating in LW native. That's just my preference.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 09-18-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Original coders of both tools (Ino for IKB and Mark Brown for MotionMixer..AFAIK) are not with NT

Yea, Newtek keeps saying that every time I bring this subject up, but they have the code and must have ownership of it as it's still included in LW, so it can't be so complicated as to not be able to be read by coders they have now.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

Prospector, i guess you know that "CODER" mentality. My code, my world thingy. Nobody probably wants to take that path.

Ryan(chaz) you are a great individual and personally i wanna thank you all your hard work and re-discovering IKbooster and sharing your insights. After colin's Ikboost.com i was thinking this tool will be never understood. But here you go.

You are doing a great job for various reasons,
    1- You simply didn't quit on IKB where many of us (including me) couldn't figure out. It is a great effort. I know it because i spend literally weeks even months and felt simply idiotic. I didn't even touch IKB until you release your own tutorials.
    2- I really miss Larry so much. I mean his presence here was so encouraging and inspirational. Sharing earning with his family is a great gesture. Larry for me is like Santa of Lightwave world. His endless "you can do it so fast in LW" posts kept me here when i was almost leaving.
    3- Also thanks for producing -one of the best- training videos i ever watched. I know your commercial tutorial will be immensely useful and inspiring.
    4- And also big thanks for adding various tools into IKB videos. Because you are ONE man animation team, we know how important to make things faster and efficient for a one guy. So if you were working in a big animation firm and producing these videos wouldnt be so much fun for us , because you would have MANY other team members for various aspects of animation. So in your tutorial i always find great insights for small animation team or lone guns..

Thanks - and it is really hard to wait!

"I would not go as far as to compare this in any way to MotionBuilder. Because I know better. But it is just proof that IKB is the system that should have replaced the CA system in LightWave and that it should have been and should be developed further."

Totally agree..If this was kept in development from beginning it would rival Motion Builder all around, and Motion Mixer would run neck and neck with Motion Builders Story.
    For this to happen it would have to be a stand alone app, not in LW native.

And it would also have to built around something like this:

http://gameware.autodesk.com/humanIK

I would agree it had the potential to be on the same level if it had met these basic criteria and also had the backing to be developed separately. Part of of the power of MB is the fact that it is separate and only being used for animation. MotionBuilder is built on real time 3D architecture. And that is one of the main reasons it is so useful. I don't think you could do that in native LW.

I finally did a tutorial on: "Lightwave to MotionBuilder and Back again "
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eju1edD7k0A

I hope it helps some of you
    Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6Ghz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 ti
    Too many SSD's and Monitors
    32Gb DDR3

I've uploaded the next tutorial...
    "Lightwave to MotionBuilder to ENDORPHIN and Back again"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSkDM-l38hM

Enjoy