Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac Freezes when freezing sud-D mesh at render

you seem to running a very old version of LW, since 10 I think it's been bad on a Mac, don't think it works right at all, pretty sure adaptive was removed 10 onwards, can't seem to find it these days, pretty sure there is a memory leak as above six levels of subdivision you just get a runaway recursive behaviour that consumes all your memory then the one tread that has been doing the calculation grinds to a halt as the machine starts to write to disk and it tanks........................ok I just wrote the above and then I remembered that in modeller I am habitually in CC Sub D mode, so.........I swapped into LW Subs and reimported the object and tried again, yup, U guessed it CC SubD's are a pain with displacement but LW Sub D's work just fine up into the 50's, live and learn eh ?

I see! Good spot.

And yes... still in 9.6 here.
    You had me a bit worried for a sec about updating higher (LW AND Mac system.... but that's another thread ).

Never in CCs here. Bogs me down. Maybe that's been a blessing in disguise.
    Never even occurred to me that subD type wasn't saved with file. But now that I think about it... why would it.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Not to insult you, but I have had this inadvertently happen to me and completely locking up the computer forcing reboot. Do you have CatmullClark subdivisions set in Modeler? check statistics panel.

At CC level 30, that's just 2.305.843.009.213.693.952 tris per cage poly
    Last edited by probiner; 06-21-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Not So Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePoe View Post
    Hmmmmmm, to me, something is wrong.

I am regularly (well, sometimes) well up in render subD levels near 100. Of course it's always dependent on the density of the original mesh.

Which brings us to your actual problem. I could process it no problem (see attached....your object > render subD at 50).
    AND, I have to mention... the system specs in my tag line are not that much of an exaggeration. I'm on a seven year old pre Intel Mac Power PC quad with 4 gigs Ram.

Oh, the freezing took about a minute.

If I can do it...........

Edit: fyi, @ 50 subD poly count was 2,450,000.
    Rendering like this makes sense to me it's easy.

I think the conclusion could very well be that there is a problem with my iMac or a clash with LW 11.5 and Mac OS 10.8.2.
    Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazby View Post
    Rendering like this makes sense to me it's easy.

I think the conclusion could very well be that there is a problem with my iMac or a clash with LW 11.5 and Mac OS 10.8.2.
    Hmmm.
    Well, I think the guys above are on to something!!
    Are you using Catmull Clark SubD's????????

If you are, switch over to regular and see what happens.

Live and learn for sure...

Not So Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePoe View Post
    Hmmmmmm, to me, something is wrong.

I am regularly (well, sometimes) well up in render subD levels near 100. Of course it's always dependent on the density of the original mesh.

Which brings us to your actual problem. I could process it no problem (see attached....your object > render subD at 50).
    AND, I have to mention... the system specs in my tag line are not that much of an exaggeration. I'm on a seven year old pre Intel Mac Power PC quad with 4 gigs Ram.

Oh, the freezing took about a minute.

If I can do it...........

Edit: fyi, @ 50 subD poly count was 2,450,000.

Haha Love your system specs!!!
    It's a weird Mac thing I do believe, my little PC did it in a few seconds, I just updated to 11.5.1 so I'll test that and see how it goes. Everytime I used subpatch in 11.5 it was glitchy on my iMac.

Thanks for testing my scene.

cheers

G

....Everytime I used subpatch in 11.5 it was glitchy on my iMac.
    Glitchy? How so? Do you mean in more ways than the freezing issue of this thread? In both Modeler and Layout? Have you switched OpenGL Shading method from GLSL to Multitexture?

AND can we get confirmation that the freezing issue was NOT solved by switching to regular subpatches??

Not So Newbie Member
    Hi there, I'm a twit for not seeing all the other messages on checking the subpatch setting! And a double twit for not thinking of it myself...
    I changed it from CC to regular LW and it's churning away slowly but surely. Thank you all.

Just for the sake of interest and I'd forgotten about this. Where the render subpatch comes into play is when you're rendering a displacement map over a low poly mesh.

Attachment 115586

At 3 it's barely contoured and in the VPR it's the display subpatch level that affects the render
    Last edited by meshpig; 07-13-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Hi there, I'm a twit for not seeing all the other messages on checking the subpatch setting! And a double twit for not thinking of it myself...
    I changed it from CC to regular LW and it's churning away slowly but surely. Thank you all.
    Yeah, but you said you did it on PC and MAC and failed on MAC. I think it's impossible to have CC lvl 30 on either. So your objects where different I suppose?
    Glad you sorted it out.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12