Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac Freezes when freezing sud-D mesh at render

Not So Newbie Member

Mac Freezes when freezing sud-D mesh at render

Hi there,

I'm hoping somebody knows a solution to this issue because it's really annoying.
    I created a moderately high poly Sub-D sphere in modeler then sent to layout to add a honeycomb texture as displacement map to get the attached image here.
    I set render subdivision level to 30 and my mac can't handle it, seems as though it goes into an infinite loop!!

However my cheap little PC freezes the mesh in 2 seconds...
    Any Mac LW'ers have this issue before???

cheers

G

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honey02.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	785.0 KB 
ID:	115102

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Can you post the scene so we can try it?

Render Subdivision Levels isn't the same thing as freezing the mesh in Modeler. When you import a subpatched object into Layout the subds are automatically "frozen". You can see this if you save out a morphed or dynamics Layout object back to LWM. I doubt your cheap PC would render 30 subD levels in Layout...

You mean surface displacement? Then your moderately high poly sphere will do, you just need to UV it so the honeycomb image works then turn the same image into a displacement and normal map.

- "Textured Displacement" in the object's properties pane under Deform, actually deforms the mesh via a texture map.
    Last edited by meshpig; 06-21-2013 at 05:32 AM.

If you wanted to model the honeycomb just for the sake of it use Multiply/Rounder on a tesselated sphere set so you can select the new surface and bevel/smooth shift.

Attachment 115103

at 30 levels of subdivision its running out of memory and writing packets to disk hence the sense of looping, even in 64bit mode (you are in 64bit mode I presume) six levels of subdivision is about as high as I can go even with a ton of memory installed. Lightwave does not do micropolly displacement as far as I know and the adaptive subdivision setting which would help never seems to work properly, so the combo as stated above of a a uv map to support a much lower level of displacement and a normal map and bump map would be way better

It's not just running out of memory it's a completely hypothetical number beyond about 6 as you say. Apps like ZBrush can handle gazillions of surface subdivisions because they only deal with essentailly an isometric prophection. No camera view which has to move around in space.

just saying I have never got it above six with anything of more than average size in Lightwave, not other programs, Lightwave displacement performance has always been piss poor, original mesh density may be a factor he did say it was fairly dense

If you're freezing an object in Modeler then you need to check in Options how many it will freeze
    1 = as you see it
    2 = double
    etc

TIP: If you want to bring a subpatched object into Layout and adjust the layout levels of display.
    1. Add a NULL to layout first
    2. Set the levels of display of the NULL to 0, or 1, or 2 etc (and the render levels too if needs be)
    3. Replace the NULL with your object
    That way the object won't come in to Layout at a high level and you can adjust it's display level in Layout.

Hope it helps
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Not So Newbie Member
    Hi all thanks for the replies.
    I believe I may not have explained myself accurately enough... So here are some images and scene files to clear up what I mean.
    These are taken from my PC screen capture and like I said the process takes 2 seconds when "render subpatch" level is set to 35. Whereas the Mac can't even do above 6. It crashes completely and I have to do a restart.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	115104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	282.2 KB 
ID:	115105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	115106

Scene and object files are below, I omitted the texture image because it is 32mb. Also ignore the hollywood object request and the palm object.

cheers fellas

https://www.dropbox.com/l/cmY0pcMw3i1sTzMAJilUYa

me neither but 30 RSL definitely doesn't work here even with a basic subd cube. I don't think it's supposed to either... I thought once that the nuumber of points in a curve allowable in LW would increase from 256 to 512 with 64 bits.

Not So Newbie Member
    Adaptive subdivision is what I'm after

Not So Newbie Member
    william vaughan did a tutorial a long time ago where he used the APS (adaptive subdivision level) at 40 to create the illusion of fur

Not So Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meshpig View Post
    Render Subdivision Levels isn't the same thing as freezing the mesh in Modeler. When you import a subpatched object into Layout the subds are automatically "frozen". You can see this if you save out a morphed or dynamics Layout object back to LWM. I doubt your cheap PC would render 30 subD levels in Layout...

You mean surface displacement? Then your moderately high poly sphere will do, you just need to UV it so the honeycomb image works then turn the same image into a displacement and normal map.

- "Textured Displacement" in the object's properties pane under Deform, actually deforms the mesh via a texture map.

Mate that's a great idea, works well

Quote Originally Posted by Grazby View Post
    Mate that's a great idea, works well
    Yes well with "textured displacement" you're entering the world of Voxel modelling. Some people like it others don't. it's like the Pottery department at Fart school. Dynamesh in ZBrush though...
    Last edited by meshpig; 06-21-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Hmmmmmm, to me, something is wrong.

I am regularly (well, sometimes) well up in render subD levels near 100. Of course it's always dependent on the density of the original mesh.

Which brings us to your actual problem. I could process it no problem (see attached....your object > render subD at 50).
    AND, I have to mention... the system specs in my tag line are not that much of an exaggeration. I'm on a seven year old pre Intel Mac Power PC quad with 4 gigs Ram.

Oh, the freezing took about a minute.

If I can do it...........

Edit: fyi, @ 50 subD poly count was 2,450,000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 659.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	115120  
    Last edited by JoePoe; 06-21-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: added poly count
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast