Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RH Rigging Tutorials... Version 2!

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar

RH Rigging Tutorials... Version 2!

So guys...

Turns out I've been beavering away in the dark here at creating a new, swanky, updated set of rigging training to replace my (now 4 year old) RHR series. With all new organisation, tricks and content, it promises to improve upon the previous release, continuing to offer the best rigging training available for LW. Go take a peek...

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhr.html

It also turns out that I have been working on this lil fella for a few months now, but have kept on getting distracted by other stuff, so... with a good bulk of it done now, I'm putting it up for pre-release.

The first chapter, Foundations, is being offered FREE, as this is info that, imo, everyone should have access to, and all should know back to front and inside out. This chapter contains over 3hrs of detailed, in depth info on the LW environment and rigging theory in general. It's really good (I hope) and I'm sure that there's a lot for all to be gained from it.

As for the remaining chapters...

They are well underway, and in the interests of not getting distracted, and lighting a fire under my behind, I've decided to offer up a "pre-order" for the series, which is going at a special discounted price until final release. Ordinarily, I'm not into pre-order stuff, but I figure that I can increase my motivation to get finished by... 1: having paid up customers waiting/nagging... 2: having it on special means the sooner I get it done, the sooner I can charge full price. See... incentives! Also, those who do pre-buy will receive the original RHR set in the meantime (and this'll also be your last chance to get that set, as it will be retired afterwards).

A great many of you of course bought the original version of RHR, and there is an upgrade price available for you to get the new set... I'm sure you're gonna love this one even more than the last. Also... RHR has continued in popularity, right up until the present, and I hate for more recent buyers to feel they've missed out on something, so...

If you bought the original RHR since the start of this year (2013), DO NOT buy the new version... you will receive it as a free upgrade!

Ok... there we go.

Cheers all.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Awesome! I'll be upgrading this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    Awesome! I'll be upgrading this weekend.
    Groovy.

You know... I never told you this, but you're the spitting image of a friend of mine, Matt. Every time I see a post from you I clock your avatar and think... "wtf, when did Matt join this board??"

Every time...
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

For the people who have the old Rigging tutorials, what "new" things will you cover in this series?

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    For the people who have the old Rigging tutorials, what "new" things will you cover in this series?
    Well...

New organisation... The explanations and coverage of the various tools and systems in the original, seem to me looking back at least, a bit muddled in places. So the re-structuring should, I hope, make a lot of things clearer and easier to understand, especially how the tools work in isolation and the lil tricks you can pull off with each, as well as how they interract. Obviously you can't do a tut for every possible rigging challenge a person may face, so there's a much more focussed attempt to try and present the tools and workflows that'll help folk find their own way around and invent their own systems as they need them.

New tools... LW has, ofc, had new tools added to its set in the past 4 years, plus updates or alterations to pre-existing ones... so these will all be covered. Including, obviously enough... Genoma. In particular I'll be diving deeper into the innards of Genoma... none of this "add a few insect legs, weld to a root, boom, u got a spider" type thing... but much more a look at how the base systems work, and how you can tweak and fiddle them in some more creative ways to pull off special tricks, make Genoma rigs that are more animation friendly (a BIG issue imo), and build your own custom systems over the top of what Genoma produces to extend its functionality.

New projects... Previously we just had the 2 character rigs (which in a lot of ways was like 1 rig done in 2 slightly different styles). This series will, ofc, contain walkthroughs for building whole characters, but will also take on different projects for how to rig different things, mechanical objects, etc... The aim being to give a much more rounded view of the tools in action and showing how they can be applied in either the same sorta, or different and varied ways for different needs.

Not to mention some new and varied techniques and workflows that Ive discovered or put together these past years... I may be pretty good at this stuff, doesnt mean Im not always learning myself though.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

The Arts are alive in me tonybliss's Avatar
    excellent
    Screw u guys .... i'm going home

oh corks
    Is it all LWIK now? (No PLG?)

Also, will you share any insights about things like JointMorphPlus?

There will be notes on plgIK, as it still works and still has some uses... but it wont be featuring as a "major" tool as it did previously... so yeah... pretty much its gonna be ALL native LW for the most part.

As for joint morphing... yep, there's stuff on not just that tool, but the general practice of applying compensation morfs to rigs also.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Groovy.

You know... I never told you this, but you're the spitting image of a friend of mine, Matt. Every time I see a post from you I clock your avatar and think... "wtf, when did Matt join this board??"

Every time...
    Interesting! I've been told that or something similar quite a few times recently. Either I have one of those faces or... I'm a clone!

My very good Sir! How wonderfully Kool of you!
    I'll be looking forward to the update with great relish... or mustard.
    THANKS!

Excellent. Thanks RH.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Well...

... none of this "add a few insect legs, weld to a root, boom, u got a spider" type thing...
    Love that part, got a real chuckle out of it...

Ok, I'm on board for the pre-order.

upgrade order away...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

"Eggcellent" work RH!

Again..many thanks rebel hill for these videos, as you know I commented on youtube about me having problems with reading the buttons due to the resolution or compression.

Youre quite right about the comparison between your 720HD and mine at 720, I was looking at my version which was 1080HD which is considerable better, understandable if you can not record them at that size due to record limitations or so.
    why donīt you try the vimeo channel? I think that generally gives better end results anyway.

Check the image for your 720 compared to mine 720 and also my 1080 resolution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD_compare.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	114998

Videos from the official Lightwave channel looks better though even if in 720..(Lino), but I think they have
    a different screen resolution when recording those.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast