Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TriCaster 40 v2 Upgrade is Available

TriCaster 40 v2 Upgrade is Available

NewTek is pleased to announce that the TriCaster 40 upgrade is available now. The upgrade adds major additional functions to the TC40, as well as adding LiveText 2 and Animation Store Creator into the product. The additions put major distance between the capabilities of the TC40 and any other product in the entry level space for live HD production, broadcast and streaming.

For entry-level and budget-minded producers with a need for professional-looking, multi-camera video, TriCaster 40 is an easy-to-use, all-in-one solution that simplifies live video production. The version 2 software upgrade adds even more real-time capabilities, making TriCaster 40 the most complete, yet affordable, live production and streaming system on the planet.

The upgrade is priced at US$995, and when the TriCaster 40 begins to ship with the new software, it will be repriced to US$5995.

Additional information is available in the press release:

http://www.newtek.com/news-events/ne...caster-40.html

and the product page has been updated with the new information:

http://www.newtek.com/products/tricaster-40.html
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc., Vizrt Group
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

HI

Does this update mean that the 40 can do alpha wipes - or is this something it has always been capable of? It is the kind of wipe that the ATEM calls a stinger, ie an animation of a graphic that comes to full screen and the sources cut underneath the full frame and the graphic than moves off to reveal the new source. You see these transitions on sports all the time to go between the live and replay content.

CHeers

Kevin

Yup. You can do animation store transitions with sound and even full warping transitions.

It might be worth explaining this a bit more.

In some systems, a transition with a simultaneous full color animated overlay must be created by running an animation clip (with alpha) on top of a simple (luma) transition. You can basically accomplish that with a version 1 TriCaster 40 already, by playing an animation from a DDR in a DSK at the same time as you run a transition. There are downsides to this approach, notably that it ties up one of your DSKs and the DDR, and requires some coordination.

Animation Store transitions are a different animal altogether. They just work. The overlay is built into the effect, as is audio, and it can be run reliably every time with no set up, leaving the DDR and DSK free for additional purposes. It can also translate and transform (warp) video, as Joe has mentioned. The only workflow 'price' is that they - because they are effects - they have to be created in advance, using the supplied Animation Store Creator.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

So how do I upgrade? It's not clear and the dealer that sold me the equipment has no idea about this.
    I have 2 Tricaster 40. Is 1 upgrade good for both? I hope it is since I bought them a couple of months ago.
    Thanks

Your reseller should contact NewTek Sales for details if he hasn't received information yet. But no, each upgrade involves a separate registration, just as it would when you upgrade most products. I suppose someone may offer a bundle price on several upgrades, or you could directly ask Sales if they'd like to offer you a deal.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Some products include multiple licenses, right?
    I really hope this is the case since I just bought two units of a product ($10,000 worth) that is now obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by rarpia View Post
    Some products include multiple licenses, right?
    Sorry, I can tell you for certain this isn't true in this case. (But 'your friendly neighborhood reseller' might try to cut you some slack.)

Quote Originally Posted by rarpia View Post
    I really hope this is the case since I just bought two units of a product ($10,000 worth) that is now obsolete.
    ob·so·lete [ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet]
    adjective
    1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
    2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.
    I don't blame you one bit for trying to find a deal for multiple units, but "obsolete" really doesn't apply, sorry.

Your two TriCasters are fully functional, virtually new, and provide all of the features advertised. True, they do not have the new features that are part of the version 2 release announced about a day ago (which is really a new SKU at a new price point), but that doesn't make them obsolete. And it won't cost you a dime more if you decide you want that new functionality than if you had waited and bought two brand new TriCaster 40 version 2 systems today.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    And it won't cost you a dime more if you decide you want that new functionality than if you had waited and bought two brand new TriCaster 40 version 2 systems today.
    Actually the opposite in fact; since the price for TriCaster 40 with v2 installed goes up by $1000, buying the upgrade at $995 saves you $5.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    ... saves you $5.
    OK, I was wrong - so for two, it would be a$10 saving, right?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Let's sum it up:

Purchase of the upgrade will be through your reseller, and delivery of the upgrade will be by download. An upgrade is required for each TriCaster 40 v1.

The TriCaster 40 v2 is a new generation product at a new price. When the TriCaster 40 system is selling with TC40 v2 software loaded as the native version, the price will go to $5995, an increase of $1000. Users who bought the v1 product at the original $4995 price will pay just $995 for the upgrade, so they actually get a smidgen of savings, $5 per unit, versus the cost if they had waited to purchase when TC40 v2 systems became the shipping product. Purchasing now, they will also be using the advanced new features for many weeks before TriCaster 40 v2 systems are on the shelves and selling to new purchasers.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

$5 savings, you gotta be kidding, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't know how to buy the upgrade if I decided to do so.
    My reseller didn't even know about the upgrade.

Once more into the CPU!
    So for the few of us who can't buy upgrades and the like every year let's say that in October of 2014 there is a V3 of the TC40... Will I need to buy V2 then buy V3?
    TC Mini SDI 5-1-190425
    -BlackMagic Studio Cam
    -SDI cables
    -Spark SDI
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SKHSVideoProduction

In general terms, here's what to expect: Point updates, which are principally, but not exclusively, maintenance releases are always free. Major integer versions, like this one, which introduce major new features, are always paid.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Once more into the CPU!
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    In general terms, here's what to expect: Point updates, which are principally, but not exclusively, maintenance releases are always free. Major integer versions, like this one, which introduce major new features, are always paid.
    I understand that, but what I'm asking is will I need to dish out more if I buy a future V3 compared to people who buy V2 and then V3.
    TC Mini SDI 5-1-190425
    -BlackMagic Studio Cam
    -SDI cables
    -Spark SDI
    -LiveText w/SB2
    -YouTube Stream
    _
    SKTV 205
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SKHSVideoProduction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast