Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: new mac pro on it's way

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    I'm just afraid that the coffee maker will be worth more in 10-20 years time...
    At the very least it will still make coffee!

You may even start using some 1800 metre Columbian beans in a few years, & it will even cope with a higher quality process as well!
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

My support of Apple wealth and their poor workers in Chinese sweat shops stopped when I bought iPad2.

New MacPro looks great but I suppose it will be useless after two years like most PCs these days, so it's kinda pointless to invest in it, at least for me.
    If you got the money to spend, then sure, go for it, gonna look fab on your desk and surely it will make moist most of the girls you know

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    If you got the money to spend, then sure, go for it, gonna look fab on your desk and surely it will make moist most of the girls you know
    That's always my main criteria for buying a new computer...

not sure if this has been posted here already: http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/th...-comes-of-age/

very valid points made here, imo.

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Quote Originally Posted by 3dworks View Post
    not sure if this has been posted here already: http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/th...-comes-of-age/

very valid points made here, imo.

cheers

markus
    Well, I think we all know that Apple is not really following the concept of playing well with other hardware manufacturers and standards, that't why they keep changing the plugs in their mobile devices from version to version, so not really a surprising move I would say.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    One thing that I'm wondering, given the design of the Pro, is if Apple is thinking about the possibility of a dual CPU, single GPU option. That could make it a lot more interesting for some.

I also expect a 4K Cinema Display to be available once the Pro launches.

Cheers,
    Mike

Instead of making it round, why didnt they just make it in the shape of the apple symbol, and extrude??? That way it wouldnt look like the ashtray/wastebin it does. They've missed an opportunity IMHO.
    [][][][V1][][][]

Quote Originally Posted by v1u1ant View Post
    Instead of making it round, why didnt they just make it in the shape of the apple symbol, and extrude??? That way it wouldnt look like the ashtray/wastebin it does. They've missed an opportunity IMHO.
    Because it would be against just about every design principle that Ives has been preaching about for the past decade?

Cheers,
    Mike

This is disappointing. Too small (and undoubtedly cheap to make), there is no expansion except external.

Form follows Function, not the other way around. MacAmature. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    My support of Apple wealth and their poor workers in Chinese sweat shops stopped when I bought iPad2.
    The new Mac Pro will be made in the U.S., I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    The new Mac Pro will be made in the U.S., I believe.
    "assembled" and I wouldn't be surprised if the tariff on parts is lower than on complete computers.

Cheers,
    Mike

I see melted MacPros in the future - people just can't help themselves putting stuff on top of other stuff.

"Honey, where did you put my book?"

"Oh, I left it on your computer"

*smoke filling the room*

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I see melted MacPros in the future - people just can't help themselves putting stuff on top of other stuff.

"Honey, where did you put my book?"

"Oh, I left it on your computer"

*smoke filling the room*

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
    Haha, you are right about that! So I guess they learnt from the cube that a nice clear polycarbonate shell+heat=cracking, hence the metal outer.

I've read a comment or 2 that makes me think this may not be the only form factor. Perhaps we've just been shown the sexier looking single cpu config. Vs. a square or ovoid dual cpu setup.

I see a lot of ppl thinking the new MP will cost a fortune, but there is a pretty huge gamut of fire gl cards. I think the base model ( e5 2620 v2) could still come in between $2-2.5K USD (6 core), the mid 3700 USD (10 core), and high, 5-10K.. (12 core - dual? ) .. of course the GPU's could cost you as little as $450(w5000)-$3400(w9000) each. You've been able to configure a $20K mac pro since the g4 or g5 days.

As soon as I read the specs my cynical mind though Apple is making a statement with the hardware to 1) give the stagnant thunderbolt Eco-system a shot in the arm. 2) Give openCL a shot in the arm and get developers to not just support Cuda.

Unfortunately I also remember how much emphasis was put on 64-bit when I bought my MP 1,1, and how many years it took for the software to catch up. I fear the same hear, that this MP is too ahead of the curve, that the 7,1 will be the one to get not the 6,1.
    Last edited by kfinla; 06-13-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Apple realese a cutaway phtoto of the white version due out in December

stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast